GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Undrafted Free Agents

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Undrafted Free Agents Empty Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 am

Michael Fisher Portnoy II

Rookie
Rookie

Ever sine watching the WJC and finding out that Martin Jones was signed by the Kings as a 19 year old free agent I have been sort of miffed as to how that Is possible. I understand what happens with the undrafted juniors, but I thought they didn’t become free agents until they were out f contract with their junior team at age 20. Can anyone shed a little more light on this, and on the process as a whole?

~MFP2

http://www.theempirescoresback.blogspot.com

2Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Same thing with Jacob Muzzin (SSM) - also signed with the Kings.

3Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michael Fisher Portnoy II wrote:Ever sine watching the WJC and finding out that Martin Jones was signed by the Kings as a 19 year old free agent I have been sort of miffed as to how that Is possible. I understand what happens with the undrafted juniors, but I thought they didn’t become free agents until they were out f contract with their junior team at age 20. Can anyone shed a little more light on this, and on the process as a whole?

~MFP2
Apparently, it's an exception permitted in section 8.9(b)(ii) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here's the text of it.

Section 8.9 of the CBA outlines Eligibility for Play in the League. Part (b) deals with players that were unclaimed in a draft. Section (ii) deals with players under the age of 20.

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

I think the key is the timing of the signing - between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the Major Juniors season.

Interesting.

4Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:02 am

Rookie
Rookie

Nice - thanks Shabbs

5Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:08 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No problem. You can thank Google.

Wink

6Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:32 am

Rookie
Rookie

i guess i just didn't google the right thing

7Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 am

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Another part of it is if a player is passed over in two entry drafts.

Too lazy to find the section in the CBA, but it's there somewhere.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

8Undrafted Free Agents Empty Re: Undrafted Free Agents Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michael Fisher Portnoy II wrote:i guess i just didn't google the right thing
I am the KING of Google.

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum