GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where?

+27
Tuk Tuk
Riprock
Havlat9
dennycrane
Sp00nz
Vandelay
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
Sens4thecup
TheAvatar
Phoenix30
Hayden
jamvan
Acrobat
ddt
beerandsens
shield4life
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
PKC
Mojo
PTFlea
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

How Will the Summer '09 Free Agent and Trade Market Be?

Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 5 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 4 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 5 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 8 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 8 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap211%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 6 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap211%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 6 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 4 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_lcap21%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 55

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 35]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
I still think Toskala is a hell of a goaltender even at $4-million for a season...he got the short end of the stick playing for that train wreck in Toronto.

For sure.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

I expect there will be a number of these 'Free Agent Tracking' lists. TSN's is out today and can be accessed here:

The following is a list of prominent free agent signings since the end of the 2008-2009 regular season. You can sort the list by using the team drop-down menu, or clicking the header above each column.
Eastern Conference Free Agents | Western Conference Free Agents | TSN.ca's All-Free Agent Team

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11850

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice, thanks for the handy links Dave.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Here's a question: Is it possible to entice Havlat to come back to Ottawa for something in the $4-5 million range?

PKC wrote:Here's a question: Is it possible to entice Havlat to come back to Ottawa for something in the $4-5 million range?
Top lline of Havlat-Spezza-Alfredsson??
cool)

Then I could get my name back!

I like the thinking but he left because he wanted to be top dawg somewhere else and get paid as such... perhaps if you told him he would have top line minutes with Spezza and Alfie, he might say okay but when you hit him with between $4-5M you would likely hear dialtone...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Here's a question: Is it possible to entice Havlat to come back to Ottawa for something in the $4-5 million range?

After he's had such a good season? Hard to say. I can see 5-5.5, but I doubt anything less.

And yes, that would be nice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

cas wrote:Then I could get my name back!

I didn't even notice. Good one. :___:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO Ottawa would be well advised to make a pitch for Martin Havlat.

He has become an excellent two way player and is a fierce competitor. Marty had an excellent season in Chicago, and was a key man in the playoffs until that dirty head shot by Cammalleri produced concussion-like symptoms.

But it will probably take close to $6MM and/or a long term deal to do so.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:

IMHO Ottawa would be well advised to make a pitch for Martin Havlat.

He has become an excellent two way player and is a fierce competitor. Marty had an excellent season in Chicago, and was a key man in the playoffs until that dirty head shot by Cammalleri produced concussion-like symptoms.

But it will probably take close to $6MM and/or a long term deal to do so.

I'm worried about injuries, and doubtful that he'd return anyway.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

he only missed 1 game this year and even when he only plays around 50 games he still has managed in the past to get 20+ goals but i have my doubts that chicago lets him go

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:he only missed 1 game this year and even when he only plays around 50 games he still has managed in the past to get 20+ goals but i have my doubts that chicago lets him go

tend to agree he wouldn't play under the Sens jersey again, just worried about the lingering effects of that hit from Kronwall, that could bother him for years.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:he only missed 1 game this year and even when he only plays around 50 games he still has managed in the past to get 20+ goals but i have my doubts that chicago lets him go

tend to agree he wouldn't play under the Sens jersey again, just worried about the lingering effects of that hit from Kronwall, that could bother him for years.

I also doubt Havlat would be targeted by Ottawa.

But if he doesn't sign a new deal in Chicago by July 1, there is speculation from ESPN that Les Canadiens may make a pitch. That could, in principle, re-unite Marty with Jacques Martin.

In terms of the after effects of the Kronwall hit, Havlat was cleared by doctors to play. It can be deduced that the NHL-approved tests determined there was no long term danger.

Havlat's value as a player was further cemented by his excellent playoff performance with 15 points (5 goals, 10 assists) in 15 games--including several key game-changing tallies.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:

He still played after that hit. He'll be fine. I'm much more concerned about his shoulders, knees, elbows, ankles -- pretty much any part that flexes. His head is pretty solid, no flexing there.

As for someone doubting he'd come back, why? He was a UFA and he stated he wanted to test the free agent market. Maybe he could have told us earlier or more quietly, but he earned that UFA status.

$4.5, no way.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

With less than two weeks before the starting gun goes off, there are more than a few characters in the upcoming drama "As The Free Agents Turn" who haven't declared their intentions yet...

Among the top forwards:

The Sedin Brothers
Marian Hossa
Marian Gaborik
Martin Havlat

...and is Mats Sundin still a factor?

The dazzling d-men are led by Jazzy Jay Bouwmeester, but who might tip the scales in the bidding war? Names who are still sitting 'on the fence', but likely to make a splash, or at least a significant ripple...

Mike Komisarek
Francois Beauchemin
Matthias Ohlund

...does Sergei Zubov re-up in Dallas, or might he seek more shekels elsewhere?

Among the pipe patrollers, are there any who pop out and shout "Sign Me"?

Is 'Smarty Marty' Biron the best of a suspiciously skinny selection?

Some big paydays might be on the way...talk of the constricting Cap be diddled.

And who are 'the bargains' out there?

To refresh everyone's memory Wink ...here's the link to NHLNumbers' handy dandy list:

http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Budaj is an RFA? I thought he'd been in the league more than a few years.

On the goalie side of things, I'd skip Biron. He's like Gerber -- good for stretches, but has pretty much proven he's not a #1. He'll find himself a backup role somewhere eventually and become worth his (reduced) salary, but for now, there's probably another GM that will throw $2M+ at him. I don't want to be that GM so I'll pass.

Lehtonen is a good young goalie, especially if he stays healthy (is he training with Greco, too?) but his salary is a little high. An offer sheet over $3M will require a 1st and a 3rd, and you add a 2nd if you go over $3.9M. Again, I'd stay away.

Elliott, on the other hand, would likely jump at $2M, which would only cost a 2nd rounder. If Heatley is not yet moved, would the Sens match? Do they need a $2M backup? That's only $1M more than what they are paying Auld, so they would probably match. They could always have him start the season in Bingo until Hetley is traded, if they are that close to the cap -- I don'g think they will be, but it's there. So it would probably take $3M, and a 1st plus a 3rd. Probably too much for a goalie with that little experience.

Khabibulin has shown this past season that he still has some fire left in him. And with the cap coming down while his age creeps up, there's no way he could expect another $6.75M. Would he take $4M on a 1-2 year deal to help being up a hot youngster who needs alittle more time maturing? Maybe that's what the Habs should have done, but it's too late now.

What's the skinny on Pogge? The Leafs are courting the "Monster" (and if TSN covers a gam in which he does well, will we be able to tolerate McGuire? please, someone, anyone, hires this guy as your GM), so does this mean they've lost confidence in Pogge?

I'd take a look at some of the veterans for a short-term deal. Maybe 1 or 2 years to help bring along a prospect. Guys like Kolzig, Roloson, Legace, Khabibulin.

If I was looking for someone to be a starter for me for many years, I'm not sure. Lehtonen *may* be that guy, but he's making big money already and has he ever played a full season? Clemmenson deserves a full-time chance. He could be another Tim Thomas, but I'd go 1-2 years on a deal at $1.5 and see where he goes. If he proves to be a bust as a starter, then you have a $1.5M backup in the second year of the contract -- not a big deal.

I'm probably missing some gems out there, but I just don't know that many of them. There is a reason why they are UFAs or RFAs and not yet signed. Those that are worth it, will be signed soon.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What a depressing list of UFAs.

I'll take Gionta and call it a day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum