GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No new talks with Chris Neil

+7
LeCaptain
mattshock
PKC
SensFan71
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 pm

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:Why can't we just forget this guy? A 30-year-old goon, with diminishing skills, diminishing health, and stats that have rocketed downwards since the lockout...and you guys are talking 3 years/$1.6-million per. Am I missing something here? Is there another Chris Neil playing for the Ottawa Senators that I have somehow managed to miss over the course of the 70+ games I watched last year?

Welcome to the cap world ladies and gentlemen. Guys who put up 10 points in a contract year get league minimum contracts, not raises.

The reason why I entertain the notion of spending 1.6 on a guy like this is because he hits hard every shift, softens up opponent's D - not to mention their forwards, can be used on the PP to create havoc in front of the net - which is a philosophy in the NHL that every team needs to employ. We have other guys that can park their butts in front of the net, but Neil is a guy who will do what he's told by Clouston and never question it. He'll fart in the goalie's face, rub him, get in his grill, create traffic. And on shifts where it's not the PP, he can drive hard towards the net. He's like a Holmstrom, but not as good obviously. He has character, he has grit, he has determination - and he's been loyal and good for the Sens. He's also a fan fav. and a good community guy. If you can get all these things for 1.6, then I think you do it personally.

Absolutely agree 100% Heater...

Add to that the fact that his toughness and ability to play a regular shift is extremely rare in today's game. There are a few who can do it but as fighting is slowly weeded out, a guy who can do both is very valuable... until the tree huggers get their way and the players start wearing figure skates...

17No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:56 pm

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

The dollars make or break this signing for me.

I love the guy, but Bass can do what he does for less IMO.

18No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm

mattshock wrote:The dollars make or break this signing for me.

I love the guy, but Bass can do some of what he does for less IMO.

Fixed... Bass is a go'er but he is no where in Neil's league. He hits but they are nowhere near as devastating and frequent. He is no where near as agrivating as Neil...

That said he is no $2M plus player... $1.6 and be happy.

19No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Thats pretty much it right there.

20No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:03 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

1.6, 3 years. Get it done, I like it.

21No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:16 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Isn't there somebody younger, tougher and less expensive in the Sens organization?

22No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Not yet.

23No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And now they are saying he's headed for Free Agency...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/03/sens_neil/

24No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Isn't there somebody younger, tougher and less expensive in the Sens organization?
Bass has the makings of a "Neil type" but he's not there yet.

25No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

1.6 is too much. if neil could step it up offencively then maybe...

2008-09 Ottawa NHL 60 3 7 10 -13 146 59 5.08 this was not worth that kind of money...
2007-08 Ottawa NHL 68 6 14 20 -3 199 78 7.69
2006-07 Ottawa NHL 82 12 16 28 +6 177 139 8.63
2005-06 Ottawa NHL 79 16 17 33 +9 204 126 12.70 that was...

see chris neil's production is on the decline. not really warenting a raise. i say 1.2 mill for 3 years without a NTC

26No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:24 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

Even if Murray approached Neil and his agent with another offer, it sounds like Neil's agent is ready to let Neil walk away from the Sens. I say let Bass have a got at it. He might not be there yet but Clouston will have a couple of years to mold him.

27No new talks with Chris Neil - Page 2 Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Don't get me wrong I like Bass, I really do, he is NOT Neil. Murray would concede that. Just the price tag is too high. George Laraque salary is more than fair. Although Laraque is tougher Neil can play a regular shift. Gorgeous George cannot any longer it seems...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum