GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did Chris Neil change his tune?

+2
spader
wprager
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/08/06/teammates-willing-to-welcome-back-heatley.aspx

“Everyone’s in the dark here,” Senators forward Chris Neil said
Wednesday. “I think guys would want an explanation. But if Dany shows
up at camp and he’s ready to go, we’d welcome him back.

“He’s an
elite player. He’s a guy you want around and on your team, definitely.
I’ve talked to a lot of guys and they all say the same thing. Guys in
the dressing room are pretty understanding.”

Was he not singing a different tune before he signed his contract? Of course it makes perfect sense. When he didn't have a contract, he was trying to play the "I want to be here" card by highlighting how different he was from Heatley. Now that he is back on the payroll he is toeing the company line.

2Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder if Murray had anything to do with this about-face. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a request made for Neil to (effectively) retract the comments he made before his contract was signed. If there's any chance of Heatley returning, it makes sense. If that's the case, it doesn't make me as confident that he'll be gone by camp.

3Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Exactly. Management is obviously orchestrating things a bit, which means one of two things: either they are not at all confident of their chances to move Heatley before the season starts, or they want to make Heatley's camp think so. I don't see how it could be the latter unless some team on Heatley's black list is still showing interest (but we all know the Oilers are out).

Of course it also sends a message to other potential trade partners -- that the Sens are quite prepared to start the season wth Heatley on the roster; don't bother trying to offer us inferior deals thinking we are over a barrel trying to move him.

4Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Exactly. Management is obviously orchestrating things a bit, which means one of two things: either they are not at all confident of their chances to move Heatley before the season starts, or they want to make Heatley's camp think so. I don't see how it could be the latter unless some team on Heatley's black list is still showing interest (but we all know the Oilers are out).

Of course it also sends a message to other potential trade partners -- that the Sens are quite prepared to start the season wth Heatley on the roster; don't bother trying to offer us inferior deals thinking we are over a barrel trying to move him.

I don't think that this, if it is in fact a case of management orchestrating things, shows their hand at all. It seems to me that this is simply another case of preparing for the worst. When the "worst" is Dany Heatley suiting up for the team, things can't be that bad.

5Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:48 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

From listening to the interview, what Neil said is Heatley showing up for camp would be an indication that he wants to be there and part of the team. That would encourage some sort of reconciliation in his view.

6Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Heatley showing up to camp would indicate nothing more than him not being willing to part with his $4M bonus (or at the very least expensive lawyer fees to keep it) and his $4M in salary.

It will take a lot more -- a while lot more -- to initiate a reconciliation.

7Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

I may be wrong, but when Neil said his previous comments about him É
'wanting to stay here and if Heatley doesn't he can leave' comment AFTER he signed his contract at Spezza's gold tournament?

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/06/10043091.html#/sports/hockey/2009/07/06/pf-10043091.html

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

8Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neil was the first of the Sens players to come out and be fairly negative about Heatley. At the time he definitely didn't have a contract (although perhaps his old one hadn't yet expired).

9Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:37 pm

notch_4077

Prospect
Prospect

Neil has a lot to prove this year. I think/hope he is up to the challenge.

10Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:24 pm

Hmmm, another name... you just dont give up do ya? Pretty patehtic.

11Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Neely4Life wrote:Hmmm, another name... you just dont give up do ya? Pretty patehtic.

Stop antognizing him please. You are no better than he is at this point. While you might seek out confrontation the 200 other members here probably don't share your views. I for one, am tired of this, as I am sure others are. Trying to drag notch in more arguments is a slap in the face to the other members here.

12Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:20 pm

It's embarassing to watch a guy keep coming around with new IP address' and accounts to simply get under people's skin.

13Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Neely4Life wrote:It's embarassing to watch a guy keep coming around with new IP address' and accounts to simply get under people's skin.

But how is that different then you (quit unprovoked) poking at him with a sharp stick? You know you are only looking for a reaction...

14Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Well fi it makes you feel any better I sent a PM trying to get the same reation.

15Did Chris Neil change his tune? Empty Re: Did Chris Neil change his tune? Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Neely4Life wrote:Well fi it makes you feel any better I sent a PM trying to get the same reation.

It'd make me, and others I imagine feel better if you kept it there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum