GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No new talks with Chris Neil

+7
LeCaptain
mattshock
PKC
SensFan71
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1No new talks with Chris Neil Empty No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

From Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/02/senators_neil/

No new talks set for Senators, Neil

Tuesday, June 2, 2009
By IAN MENDES
Sportsnet.ca

Time is running out on the Ottawa Senators and Chris Neil to strike a new deal before the forward becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

No new talks with Chris Neil Neil_chris_courtesy_400

General manager Bryan Murray acknowledged that fact on Tuesday, but admitted that no new talks are currently scheduled between himself and Neil's agent Todd Reynolds. And the Senators general manager also said they have basically made their best and final offer to the Neil camp.

"We both have moved a little bit, but we'll just have to see if they come back with any other thoughts," Murray told Sportsnet on Tuesday afternoon at the general managers meetings in Pittsburgh. "If not, we're almost at the limit of where we can go."

The two sides spoke in the middle of last month, but have not had any significant communication since then. Murray suggested that both sides have moved in their negotiations that have lasted several months, but a new deal does not appear to be on the horizon.

"I think the club has moved to pretty much where we can," continued Murray. "We'd obviously like to keep Chris Neil in Ottawa. We think he's a hard-nosed player and you like those people in your lineup.

The two sides could not reach a deal at the NHL trade deadline in March, despite furious contract talks and attempts to send Neil to another club.

2No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This article was posted on the "Spezza won't be traded" thread but it talks about the Neil situation:
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/03/9656946-sun.html

CHRIS NEIL: Murray revealed he made a new offer to Neil, who is
scheduled to become a UFA on July 1, two weeks ago. There haven't been
any discussions since, but Neil's agent Todd Reynolds did return a
counter-proposal. "I don't think it's finished. We made a proposal and
we're not as far apart as we were. Both of us moved and we are closer,"
said Murray. "I'm just waiting to see if they will make one more
adjustment. If they will, we can do the deal. If they won't, we
probably can't. There's been some movement. I think there's a
possibility there now. Earlier on, I didn't think it would be there."

This article is dated June 3rd. Could things have changed since June 2nd?

3No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:38 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Perhaps there is some new movement...

4No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 am

Murray knows what he is doing and Neil's agent is slowly coming around to the realization that you can't have 3 goals in a contract year and ask for the moon... I hope. I love Neiler and what he brings, but he has to realize that this was a bad year to tank. If he wants to get paid for the success he had two years ago, he will have to convince another team that he is capable of reproducing that. In this market, I am not so sure that is an easy task.

5No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1.6 X 3 is what I think the final offer is - and I think this will get done.

6No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 am

I would also add 'this offer is good until July 1... don't come back when you find there is no market and say well okay, just kidding.... We will address your role in free agency or from within as of July 1.'

7No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:1.6 X 3 is what I think the final offer is - and I think this will get done.

I am more than okay with Neil signing this deal as well, with no NTC or a very limited one if need be, but rather not.

8No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:13 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:1.6 X 3 is what I think the final offer is - and I think this will get done.
I'm fine with that. Provided there's no NTC or NMC...

Make it so.

9No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:I would also add 'this offer is good until July 1... don't come back when you find there is no market and say well okay, just kidding.... We will address your role in free agency or from within as of July 1.'

I'd even go so far as to say that you have to come back to us by the draft. If it's not done by then, I need to start looking at trades and UFAs, so I'll be busy.

10No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:59 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why can't we just forget this guy? A 30-year-old goon, with diminishing skills, diminishing health, and stats that have rocketed downwards since the lockout...and you guys are talking 3 years/$1.6-million per. Am I missing something here? Is there another Chris Neil playing for the Ottawa Senators that I have somehow managed to miss over the course of the 70+ games I watched last year?

Welcome to the cap world ladies and gentlemen. Guys who put up 10 points in a contract year get league minimum contracts, not raises.

11No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Why can't we just forget this guy? A 30-year-old goon, with diminishing skills, diminishing health, and stats that have rocketed downwards since the lockout...and you guys are talking 3 years/$1.6-million per. Am I missing something here? Is there another Chris Neil playing for the Ottawa Senators that I have somehow managed to miss over the course of the 70+ games I watched last year?

Welcome to the cap world ladies and gentlemen. Guys who put up 10 points in a contract year get league minimum contracts, not raises.

The reason why I entertain the notion of spending 1.6 on a guy like this is because he hits hard every shift, softens up opponent's D - not to mention their forwards, can be used on the PP to create havoc in front of the net - which is a philosophy in the NHL that every team needs to employ. We have other guys that can park their butts in front of the net, but Neil is a guy who will do what he's told by Clouston and never question it. He'll fart in the goalie's face, rub him, get in his grill, create traffic. And on shifts where it's not the PP, he can drive hard towards the net. He's like a Holmstrom, but not as good obviously. He has character, he has grit, he has determination - and he's been loyal and good for the Sens. He's also a fan fav. and a good community guy. If you can get all these things for 1.6, then I think you do it personally.

12No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I've heard a lot of buzz that this deal might be either done, or is real close.

Andy Strickland, one of the best in the biz, echoes that.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/JD-Hall-Of-Fame-Bound-Ottawa-Negotiating-With-Nei8230/5/21425

I really hope we get pleasantly surprised and it's for less rather than more.

13No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 pm

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:Why can't we just forget this guy? A 30-year-old goon, with diminishing skills, diminishing health, and stats that have rocketed downwards since the lockout...and you guys are talking 3 years/$1.6-million per. Am I missing something here? Is there another Chris Neil playing for the Ottawa Senators that I have somehow managed to miss over the course of the 70+ games I watched last year?

The reason why I entertain the notion of spending 1.6 on a guy like this is because he hits hard every shift, softens up opponent's D - not to mention their forwards, can be used on the PP to create havoc in front of the net - which is a philosophy in the NHL that every team needs to employ. We have other guys that can park their butts in front of the net, but Neil is a guy who will do what he's told by Clouston and never question it. He'll fart in the goalie's face, rub him, get in his grill, create traffic. And on shifts where it's not the PP, he can drive hard towards the net. He's like a Holmstrom, but not as good obviously. He has character, he has grit, he has determination - and he's been loyal and good for the Sens. He's also a fan fav. and a good community guy. If you can get all these things for 1.6, then I think you do it personally.

Absolutely agree 100% Heater...

Add to that the fact that his toughness and ability to play a regular shift is extremely rare in today's game. There are a few who can do it but as fighting is slowly weeded out, a guy who can do both is very valuable... until the tree huggers get their way and the players start wearing figure skates...

14No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:56 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

The dollars make or break this signing for me.

I love the guy, but Bass can do what he does for less IMO.

15No new talks with Chris Neil Empty Re: No new talks with Chris Neil Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm

mattshock wrote:The dollars make or break this signing for me.

I love the guy, but Bass can do some of what he does for less IMO.

Fixed... Bass is a go'er but he is no where in Neil's league. He hits but they are nowhere near as devastating and frequent. He is no where near as agrivating as Neil...

That said he is no $2M plus player... $1.6 and be happy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum