GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources

+10
Acrobat
PTFlea
caissie_1
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
wprager
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Should The Nordiques Come Back?

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_lcap238%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 22 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_lcap234%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 34% [ 20 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_lcap226%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 15 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_lcap22%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 2% [ 1 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 58

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Logic would suggest Les Nordiques would seek to evoke the best aspects of their past, with a jersey that remains popular to this day...

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Nordiq10

davetherave wrote:Logic would suggest Les Nordiques would seek to evoke the best aspects of their past, with a jersey that remains popular to this day...

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 Nordiq10

Wow, a blast from the past. God, they had some great teams after leaving Quebec. Great GM too, who somehow found a way to add that big piece for the playoff push.

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

Sakic and Forsberg havent aged since that picture UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources - Page 5 668437

Foot on the other hand...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

With the recent news about serious money backing the return of Nordiques, we now add news of interest in bringing back the Jets...could we see eight Canadian teams in the NHL before long?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:With the recent news about serious money backing the return of Nordiques, we now add news of interest in bringing back the Jets...could we see eight Canadian teams in the NHL before long?

Not as long as Bettman is running the league.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
davetherave wrote:With the recent news about serious money backing the return of Nordiques, we now add news of interest in bringing back the Jets...could we see eight Canadian teams in the NHL before long?

You evidently haven't read this post, nor listened to Bettman say he's now ready to consider it.
http://www.gmhockey.com/member-s-story-breakers-f8/update-return-of-the-quebec-nordiques-possible-say-rds-and-corus-sports-t2402-30.htm?sid=8123857af98f834624cc97d79e10d7ab#111968

NHL Deputy Commish Bill Daly has already visited the investor group in Quebec.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:

Now, hold on. By getting 8 Canadian teams he would be snubbing Jim's "MakeItSeven" campaign. Plus two more Canadian teams while still shutting him out? I can see how this could spark some interest from Gary.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Now, hold on. By getting 8 Canadian teams he would be snubbing Jim's "MakeItSeven" campaign. Plus two more Canadian teams while still shutting him out? I can see how this could spark some interest from Gary.

Well said. I would tend to agree. I'm sure Lil' Gary has no interest in relocating teams "up there" but sticking it to Ballzebub would tempt him for sure.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Well said. I would tend to agree. I'm sure Lil' Gary has no interest in relocating teams "up there" but sticking it to Ballzebub would tempt him for sure.

You're not saying Gary is looking for revenge...are you?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:

You're not saying Gary is looking for revenge...are you?

The only way to confirm that he is looking revenge would be if one or two teams were relocated and he was quoted as saying "this isn't about revenge".

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
You evidently haven't read this post, nor listened to Bettman say he's now ready to consider it.
http://www.gmhockey.com/member-s-story-breakers-f8/update-return-of-the-quebec-nordiques-possible-say-rds-and-corus-sports-t2402-30.htm?sid=8123857af98f834624cc97d79e10d7ab#111968

NHL Deputy Commish Bill Daly has already visited the investor group in Quebec.

I'll believe it when I see it, I think Bettman is still obsessed with his expansion into the southern US.

He'll put a team in New Orleans before he gives Canada another team, but I would love to be wrong on this one.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The return of Les Nordiques looks more and more like a realistic possibility, according to Le Soleil, La Presse Canadienne and RDS.

Gary Bettman has apparently met with the Mayor of Quebec City, and former Nordiques owner and current principal of the investors group Marcel Aubut, to discuss the construction of an NHL arena in the city. As previously noted, the proposal is reportedly already supported by the Quebec Government and the Federal Government, with a subsidy of $175MM being discussed.

The Mayor has stated the new Colisée would be part of a $400MM development project.

Excerpt from RDS' report here:

Le maire de Québec, Régis Labeaume, et l'ancien président des Nordiques de Québec, Marcel Aubut, ont rencontré en catimini le commissaire de la Ligue nationale de hockey, Gary Bettman, vendredi à New York.

Ce bref périple des deux hommes survient au moment où s'intensifie une rumeur à l'effet qu'une annonce importante serait faite la semaine prochaine sur la construction d'un nouvel amphithéâtre à Québec.

Article here:
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/283953.html

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The report, also confirmed by The Gazette today:

Quebec City’s mayor and the former owner of the Quebec Nordiques met with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman Friday in New York City, the French-language television network LCN has reported.

According to the report, Mayor Régis Labeaume and Marcel Aubut discussed the possibility of Quebec City getting a new NHL team.

The meeting took place as rumours are swirling about a new arena to be built to replace the old Colisée, where the Quebec Nordiques played from the time they were established in the World Hockey Association in 1972 until the franchise was sold and moved to Colorado in 1995. At the time, Aubut wanted the provincial government to chip in the funds needed to build a new arena.

Bettman has said that building a new arena would be a key to establishing a new franchise in Quebec City.

LCN reported an announcement either about the arena or a new NHL franchise could come next week.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Former+Nordiques+owner+mayor+meet+Commish/2090732/story.html

Exciting news for longtime Nordiques fans, and all hockey fans who want to see more franchises in Canada.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

This would be great.... But it's still way's away IMO.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Now Pierre Karl Peladeau, head of Quebecor and most recently mentioned as one of the likely major investors in a return of the Nordiques, has gone on the record with his support.

From an article today by Marc Andre Seguin, syndicated by Sun Media:

Quebecor boss Pierre Karl Peladeau has been keeping an eye out for an NHL franchise to buy and re-locate to Quebec City. According to Peladeau, the "winning conditions" needed to be successful in such an endeavour are "more and more numerous."

After the meeting between Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume, former Nordiques owner Marcel Aubut and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was made public, Peladeau is fuelling the rumours that a NHL hockey club could make a return to the city.

Peladeau said yesterday that he was keeping up on what teams could become for sale "if we decide to re-locate teams to Canada", adding that he was very aware of the financial difficulties facing some American hockey clubs.

The word that Peladeau could become involved in the push for another Canadian franchise comes just as observers are becoming more and more optimistic that Quebec could be next in line for a pro hockey team.

While Peladeau said it will take the involvement of more people to make something this big happen, he said his team was working hard to figure out the "winning recipe".

And while he acknowledged that a new hockey club arriving in Quebec City isn't "for tomorrow, or for next week", the businessman seems nonetheless confident that it could happen.

Peladeau confirmed that he has also "frequently" met with Labeaume, with whom he has discussed the idea of bringing hockey back to the city.

According to several sources, Peladeau is actively searching for partners in the city to bring the plan to fruition.

Peladeau, meanwhile, said he "wasn't specifically" looking for partners but that he had been talking with business people in the area.

"But it's undeniable that forming a group to explore bringing a club to Quebec is desirable," he said.

Peladeau also said he was pleased to see a positive relationship between Labeaume and Bettman, adding that the way they were going about the situation was "appropriate."

"You have to respect the NHL institution," Peladeau said. "We saw what happened with Jim Balsillie."

Full text here: http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/10/11/11369331-sun.html

Sounds like the possibility is not so remote...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But what if Bettman says 'okay, go build an arena and a team is yours' then when all is said and done he reneges on his promise and the city and investors are out a lot of money. Would he be held liable? Of course I don't think anyone would build an arena unless it was written in paper that thet eam would be in Quebec by a set date.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Define long?

5 years? Doubt it.

20 years? Maybe.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I think 5-7 year range is realistic.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: