GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources

+10
Acrobat
PTFlea
caissie_1
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
wprager
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Should The Nordiques Come Back?

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_lcap238%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_rcap2 38% [ 22 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_lcap234%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_rcap2 34% [ 20 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_lcap226%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_rcap2 26% [ 15 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_lcap22%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_rcap2 2% [ 1 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_lcap20%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_lcap20%UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 58

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

In all the talk about returning NHL franchises to Canada, there is serious movement afoot to revive the Nordiques in Quebec.

Some time ago I posted some news about this, based on an interview by respected Montreal sports analyst Yvon Pedneault (Corus Sports, Hockey Night In Canada) conducted with a former member of the Nordiques organization. The suggestion was that the Nordiques are coming back, and as the interviewee said, "Sooner than you think."

Today, RDS reports that movement is gaining in strength in its article "Quebec Met Des Sieges En Vente" (Quebec starts selling seats).

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/275521.html

Led by local businessman Mario Bedard and a Quebec-based group of investors, the push in on to sell advance seats and corporate suites to raise money to bring Le Colisee up to NHL standards. They have reportedly already sold 1500 seats priced from $1500 to $3000, and 63 of the available 70 suites.

The recent declarations of KHL chairman and Gazprom executive Aleksandr Medvedev that, in effect, Quebec City "should" have a team, in addition to Medvedev suggestions he is ready to but an NHL franchise, makes this situation all the more intriguing.

The Goverment of Quebec has already offered money to assist investors who want to buy Le Canadien, so Les Nordiques will most certainly shoot to the top of their agenda.

Would they facilitate a joint venture with Gazprom, the KHL and the Russian Government? Not out of the question.

From a marketing perspective, a revival of the Nordiques-Canadiens rivalry means big TV ratings--and potentially big dollars--in a hockey-mad environment.

There are reasons for the NHL to welcome this development. The Bedard Group has already had exploratory discussions with former Nordiques like Michel Goulet who is now part of the Colorado Avalanche executive team, so this group is clearly ready to play 'by the rules'.

If the league were to get behind the initiative, they could not only confound their critics accusing them of being 'anti-Canada', but might also have a way to thwart the threat of an anti-trust lawsuit by Jim Balsillie.

With a number of franchises potentially available--the Atlanta Thrashers being just one of those spoken of as being moveable--the return of Les Nordiques may be more than just a dream.

Your thoughts? Can it happen? Would you like to see it happen?

Last edited by davetherave on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:12 pm; edited 3 times in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Make it so. Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hamilton and hell, Halifax... make it all happen.

NOW!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd love to see it happen if it's a sustainable model. I don't know if we'll see teams move from the States to Canada. I really hope I'm wrong but I have the distinct impression that the only chance Canada has of getting a franchise is through expansion. This could be achieved as long as Atlanta, Phoenix and Florida move to Kansas, Las Vegas and ??. Once that has transpired then they can think about bids for expansion in Winnipeg, Quebec, Southern Ontario with two of them winning a team.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I voted the NHL needs this team and the rivalry was great. Thanks DTR for allowing multiple choice on this one.

- Unknown Author

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

the Diques were my fave team until they were moved.....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We (in Habs land) called them the Dicks cool) .

Quebec City has no major sports -- no football, soccer, baseball or basketball. The Remparts are, pretty much, it. It makes sense that in such a market, especially given the history of hockey in Quebec, that they have the size to support an NHL franchise. Like I said in another thread, could this be why Roy turned down the Avalanche?

This would be AWESOME, loved the Candiens/Diques, Diques/Bruins Playoff Series... epic contests...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

yes the NHL does need the Diques, the greatest reason being those Battle of Quebec playoff rivalries, but another part of it being the more Canadian cities, the better, starting first with Winnipeg and Quebec.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Obviously, I chose option number 2.

I just feel sorry for the poor bastards in Canadian cities that were led to believe they had a shot at teams as part of Bettmans little game with Balisillie. No amount of money, fan support and/or corporate support will bring additional teams to Canada.

If Bettman were a member of this forum, he would have checked No--let dead franchises stay dead, unless we're talking about Minnesota, Kansas City, Denver and Atlanta, of course.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Obviously, I chose option number 2.

I just feel sorry for the poor bastards in Canadian cities that were led to believe they had a shot at teams as part of Bettmans little game with Balisillie. No amount of money, fan support and/or corporate support will bring additional teams to Canada.

If Bettman were a member of this forum, he would have checked No--let dead franchises stay dead, unless we're talking about Minnesota, Kansas City, Denver and Atlanta, of course.

ah Screw Bettman and this horse -> :p: he rode in on, hope it turds on his head.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

I would love to see the Nordiques back... Another team closer to home. Would make it even easier to go and watch sens games.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Where'd you get that Tuk?

Also, your current avatar (Willie) -- is there really a mustache there, somewhere?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I liked their logo...

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources Homegrownsportinggoods_1856_3372285

Sweet.

wprager wrote:Where'd you get that Tuk?

Also, your current avatar (Willie) -- is there really a mustache there, somewhere?

It was going to be their new jersey the year they left.

yes, there's a stach somewhere. Sarcasm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum