GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Nordiques will rise again?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Nordiques will rise again? Empty The Nordiques will rise again? Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2010/09/05/15253951.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Quebec Premier Jean Charest will meet with Quebec City mayor Regis Labeaume next Tuesday to discuss the financing of a new arena in the provincial capital, QMI Agency has learned.

The premier is then expected to announce $400 million in provincial funds to help pay for the project.

Charest has expressed enthusiasm for the project in the past, saying in June a city the size of Quebec should have modern facilities.

A new arena is a key stepping stone to getting the Nordiques NHL franchise to return to the province.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in August any hopes for the Nordiques's return rests in the city completing the project.

Quebec City may also be getting support from the federal government.

2The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:53 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

FingersCrossed

3The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tuk Tuk wrote: FingersCrossed

Me too. As much as I *hated* the Nordiques in the day, that was the best rivalry I had ever seen.

4The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

If they come back, they'll just throw them into the Northeast division, and make it even harder for all Canadian teams to make it to the playoffs.

5The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bass Destruction wrote:If they come back, they'll just throw them into the Northeast division, and make it even harder for all Canadian teams to make it to the playoffs.

Maybe it's time to bring back some cross-over playoff format.

6The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:05 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Holy heck!!! You have over 10 times the number of posts that I have.

7The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bass Destruction wrote:Holy heck!!! You have over 10 times the number of posts that I have.

Were you around during the great fluff-fest of the Summer of Oh-Nine?

8The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Great, now I have to make another 8 posts just to keep my average up.

9The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:03 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

As long as this isn't expansion I'm all for it!

10The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

stempniaksen wrote:As long as this isn't expansion I'm all for it!

As long as it's another Canadian team, I'm all for it.

11The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 am

wprager wrote:

Agreed. I'm assuming it won't be expansion; a team like Florida or some small market, negative profit team will move (same with Phoenix to Winnipeg or something). I can't see the NHL expanding to 31 teams, let alone 32. I wonder how the divisions would shape up?

12The Nordiques will rise again? Empty Re: The Nordiques will rise again? Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:39 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Kovalfie wrote:
wprager wrote:

Agreed. I'm assuming it won't be expansion; a team like Florida or some small market, negative profit team will move (same with Phoenix to Winnipeg or something). I can't see the NHL expanding to 31 teams, let alone 32. I wonder how the divisions would shape up?

NBA and MLB have 30 each, but isn't the NFL (32 teams) the (currently) most successful league? Bettman has never been a leader, though, so unless the NBA expands to 32 I think the NHL will stick with 30.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum