GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for The Maple Leafs?

+17
mattshock
spader
Jordo
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
PKC
PTFlea
asq2
Mariposa Belle
shabbs
ScotLoucks
SensFan71
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Hayden
beedub
davetherave
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 15]

46What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:20 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Ah yes, Berger. He's quite popular down at HB. Sarcasm

I don't agree with his assessment of Kassian versus MPS. But, I hope Burke takes Kassian 7th over-all.

47What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 pm

asq2 wrote:Ah yes, Berger. He's quite popular down at HB. Sarcasm

I don't agree with his assessment of Kassian versus MPS. But, I hope Burke takes Kassian 7th over-all.

Or better yet, trades up for him. Wink

48What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Zoolander wrote:

Schenn + 7th to Atlanta for the 4th pick, and he takes Kassian. Then Colorado trades us the third pick for Chris Kelly. Ahhhhh!

Seriously, though, the one downside of this draft being so good is that the Leafs stand to land a really nice player.

The top-4 should be set in terms of JT, Hedman, Duchene, Kane. If LA takes Schenn, I think Phoenix takes a defenceman (they took a winger in Boedker last draft) and Burke could walk away with MPS.

If LA takes MPS, Phoenix could take Schenn (or not, which would be worse IMO) and Burke could grab a Jared Cowen (which, in a pairing with Schenn, would suck to play against), or grab OEL from under our noses.

I'm kinda hoping he takes Schroeder. FingersCrossed

49What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:33 pm

asq2 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

Schenn + 7th to Atlanta for the 4th pick, and he takes Kassian. Then Colorado trades us the third pick for Chris Kelly. Ahhhhh!

Seriously, though, the one downside of this draft being so good is that the Leafs stand to land a really nice player.

The top-4 should be set in terms of JT, Hedman, Duchene, Kane. If LA takes Schenn, I think Phoenix takes a defenceman (they took a winger in Boedker last draft) and Burke could walk away with MPS.

If LA takes MPS, Phoenix could take Schenn (or not, which would be worse IMO) and Burke could grab a Jared Cowen (which, in a pairing with Schenn, would suck to play against), or grab OEL from under our noses.

I wouldn't put it past Burke to yoink OEL from us. We did the same with Karlsson.

Like you said though, we're getting a damn good player no matter how it shakes out. I would just prefer it shakes out with us with the 3rd pick and Wolski.

50What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Zoolander wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

I wouldn't put it past Burke to yoink OEL from us. We did the same with Karlsson.

Like you said though, we're getting a damn good player no matter how it shakes out. I would just prefer it shakes out with us with the 3rd pick and Wolski.

It may not be up there any more, but if you can find it, I recommend watching the first few minutes of Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings on TSN.

They have a little montage of the first three prospects as introductions to B-Mack talking about them, and the Duchene one (albeit pretty short) was incredible. I've watched a lot of footage of him/quite a few games, and I know how good a north-south skater he is, but I had no idea how good he was at moving laterally/spin-o-ramas.

Simply incredible. I do have some concern about sacrificing offensive talent for all-around game (recall that some people suggested Weiss over Spezza for that reason at the draft) but Duchene is the real deal. Kid's lower-body is Crosby-esque.

I'm in agreement with you. I'd take him over Tavares.

51What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:45 pm

asq2 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

It may not be up there any more, but if you can find it, I recommend watching the first few minutes of Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings on TSN.

They have a little montage of the first three prospects as introductions to B-Mack talking about them, and the Duchene one (albeit pretty short) was incredible. I've watched a lot of footage of him/quite a few games, and I know how good a north-south skater he is, but I had no idea how good he was at moving laterally/spin-o-ramas.

Simply incredible. I do have some concern about sacrificing offensive talent for all-around game (recall that some people suggested Weiss over Spezza for that reason at the draft) but Duchene is the real deal. Kid's lower-body is Crosby-esque.

I'm in agreement with you. I'd take him over Tavares.

Even if he is outscored by some other guys, the overall aspect of his game makes him so valuable. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are classic examples. Having a guy like that matched up with a Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin is HUGE.

I'll have a look for that Duchene vid. Not that I need to be sold anymore. Straight up though, if Colorado calls with the offer I mentioned, I accept it without even bothering to try and up the ante from other teams.

52What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Nazem Kadri has been plucked by The Burke...a surprise delivered with dramatic flair.

53What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Leafs broadcaster and columnist Howard Berger is bubbly about the BlueNWhite's coming battles with LeBleuBlancRouge...

LEAFS/HABS RIVALRY HEIGHTENED
Howard Berger, Fan590.com, July 2, 2009

TORONTO (July 2) -- The Leafs made their best move of the summer so far by re-signing Mikhail Grabovski to a three year, $8.7-million contract today. With Michael Komisarek having joined the club yesterday in free agency, do you think the three Leafs-Habs games at the Bell Centre will be a little interesting next season?

Grabo has to take a step forward in 2009-10 by avoiding month-long disappearing acts. Otherwise, he is currently the Leafs' runaway best forward (along with an aging
Jason Blake) as it pertains to talent and feistiness.

Stay closely tuned to the Jonas Gustavsson situation. I'm told the Swedish netminder will finally choose an NHL team by the weekend, though it's becoming more and more difficult to figure what is driving the "Monster". Perhaps procrastination is a bit of a Swedish trait when it comes to hockey.
Mats Sundin, you'll recall, elevated it to an art form last summer and fall.

Leafs are still, in my mind, the front runner for Gustavsson, but the Dallas Stars are also pushing hard.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com

54What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lots of penalties? Limited puck movement skills?

55What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Howard Berger fills us in further with his forensic foray into "The Mind and Method of The Burke"...

BURKE PLAYED IT SMART ON CANADA DAY
Howard Berger, Fan590.com, July 2, 2009

TORONTO (July 2) – If you want to blame Brian Burke for anything in his initial foray into free agency on behalf of the Maple Leafs, perhaps suggest that he change travel agents. It turns out his flight of desperation to Sweden arrived too late to head off the Sedin twins. By the time he arrived in Stockholm, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin had re-upped with the Vancouver Canucks, leaving Burke to perhaps pay a consolation visit to goaltending prospect Jonas Gustavsson.

Otherwise, the Leafs’ general manager accomplished all that he legitimately could in the market frenzy. Had he been able to spirit the Sedins out of Vancouver, Burke might have placed the Leafs in a position to add another skilled player or two. But, once the Canucks locked up the twins, he lost any shot at signing the likes of
Mike Cammalleri or Brian Gionta – both of whom followed Scott Gomez to a more talented outfit in Montreal. As such, Burke concentrated on his initial plan to add fangs to a Toronto club that has been woefully meek since the days Tie Domi, Gary Roberts, Shayne Corson and Darcy Tucker were running Ottawa’s more gifted skaters out of the Air Canada Centre and Scotiabank Place.

The additions of
Colton Orr, Garnet Exelby and Michael Komisarek did nothing to improve the Maple Leafs’ artistry, or likely their position in the Eastern Conference standings. But, rest assured the club will not go down without a fight in games next season – literally and figuratively. As well, Burke pulled off a major coup in unloading Pavel Kubina’s $5 million salary for 2009-10, though the Buds will probably miss the veteran defenseman’s classy leadership and stubbornness in defeat.

“Kuby” is one of the finest citizens to pass through the Maple Leafs’ locker room in recent years, though I’m not certain the loyalty he expressed toward the team at the trade deadline in March was rewarded by a one-way ticket to Atlanta. It’s probably safe to assume that Pavel wouldn’t have waived his no-movement clause to join the woebegone Thrashers, but that’s where former GM John Ferguson played it smartly in signing Kubina as a free agent and extending
Tomas Kaberle. He assured that neither player controlled his destiny in the event the Leafs’ repeatedly missed the playoffs. Burke was therefore able to peddle Kubina to the team that offered him the best return.

The upgrade in toughness could have a spin-off effect as it pertains to Gustavsson, who probably understands he won’t win a Stanley Cup in any of Toronto, Colorado or Dallas next season. But, the “Monster” now knows that opposition players will not be allowed to storm his crease without retribution should he sign with the Blue & White. If I know Burke, he has probably hammered home that point in the past 12 hours to Gustavsson and his handlers. Exelby and Komisarek add a large dose of meanness to the Toronto blue-line, though Komisarek will likely drive Leaf fans a little crazy when he handles the puck in his own zone. But, no future hall-of-fame defensemen were available on the open market this summer, so Burke wisely opted for nastiness.

What I like most about these moves relates to my oft-stated theory about the Leafs heading into next season. None of Burke’s signings removes or diminishes opportunity for the club’s young players to skate regularly for Ron Wilson and prove – legitimately – what they can or cannot do at the NHL level.

For the first time in many years, the Leafs have a promising crop of youngsters that includes
Luke Schenn, Anton Stralman, Christian Hanson, Tyler Bozak, Jiri Tlusty, Mikhail Grabovski (if retained), Nikolai Kulemin, Dale Mitchell and Chris Didomenico, who was impressive for Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships last winter. Still-young veteran Ian White can be included in this group, along with second-year NHLer John Mitchell. Gustavsson would further abet the list. Burke and Wilson have nothing to lose and everything to gain by allowing these fellows a chance to mature as full-time skaters in the big league.

Burke’s rather frequent wish to make the playoffs next season is probably akin to having his fingers crossed in Lotto-649, but the abovementioned players – as a group – are largely an unknown quantity. Who’s to say, for certain, they will not form a useful chemistry in conjunction with the abrasiveness Burke added to the line-up on Wednesday? It is well worth giving a try in 2009-10.

As it stands, the Leafs still have almost $10 million in cap space – a useful cushion heading into the season and toward the trade deadline next March. In my opinion, the purging of Kubina from the roster should have no impact on Burke’s effort to field trade proposals for Kaberle, who stands as his only true bartering gem this summer. If he can exchange Kaberle for another promising youngster, the Leafs will be even better off two and three years down the line, which is where the club is realistically aiming.

All in all, I’d say double-B has the Maple Leafs on the right track. Continue to be patient. The time will ultimately arrive for the Leafs’ GM to get involved in high-end maneuvering.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com

56What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Apparently they are trying to sign any Swedish Elite league player that has no ties to any NHL team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2009/07/06/leafs_chase_monster_s/

57What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:54 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Remember when Murray tried the Gritty toughness angle by obtaining Smith and Ruutu to go along with Neil, Bass and Schubert? We couldn't get the puck out of our own end all season.

I see a similiar result coming for the Leafs. Leafnation may be excited about the goon squad on paper but it will likely fall flat come October.

- Unknown Author

58What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:56 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Remember when Murray tried the Gritty toughness angle by obtaining Smith and Ruutu to go along with Neil, Bass and Schubert? We couldn't get the puck out of our own end all season.

I see a similiar result coming for the Leafs. Leafnation may be excited about the goon squad on paper but it will likely fall flat come October.

I will be there to revel in it when it happens, Burke must have missed the memo that said you need skill to go with the toughness.

59What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:06 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Like SSF pointed out earlier. Burke is trying to build the Ducks without the foundation that was built by Murray before him.

- Unknown Author

60What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Remember when Murray tried the Gritty toughness angle by obtaining Smith and Ruutu to go along with Neil, Bass and Schubert? We couldn't get the puck out of our own end all season.

If it falls flat, they'll land a franchise player at the draft.

If they succeed, it's with a younger team with more character.

Win/win.

61What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:31 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

By the way, here's a nice mix of Nazem Kadri in Junior. Not sure it'll all translate into the NHL, but Burke landed a kid with a lot of character (as did we).

62What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

If it falls flat, they'll land a franchise player at the draft.

If they succeed, it's with a younger team with more character.

Win/win.

Not so black and white though. Knowing the Leafs they'll scrap themselves out of a top 10 pick and still out of the playoffs.

- Unknown Author

63What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kadri already signed to an entry-level deal!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283884

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum