GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for The Maple Leafs?

+17
mattshock
spader
Jordo
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
PKC
PTFlea
asq2
Mariposa Belle
shabbs
ScotLoucks
SensFan71
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Hayden
beedub
davetherave
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 15]

1What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Toronto Maple Leafs--or more specifically one Brian Burke--are talking big about returning to more than just respectability. The Burke, never one to be shy, has made sure his voice is being heard about the change he intends to bring.

With emerging defensive star Luke Schenn as one of Burke's building blocks, brother Brayden is now being touted as another potential acquisition.

From The National Post:

Another Schenn in Leafs' sights

Michael Traikos, National Post, May 27, 2009

TORONTO - There at least two reasons why Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke would trade up to select Luke Schenn's younger brother at next month's NHL entry draft.

One involves the weakened economy: "You only have to pay for one ticket on a father-son trip," Burke joked Wednesday.

The other has to do with bloodlines: "You're getting a Schenn."

That last explanation is why many believe Brayden will be wearing a Leafs uniform next season. Burke prefers character players who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. And the six-foot, 192-pound power forward, who is 22 months younger than his brother, accumulated 88 points and 82 penalty minutes in the Western Hockey League last season.

"We like (Schenn) irrespective of his lineage," Burke said of Schenn, in Toronto for this week's NHL scouting combine. "But the fact that he's Luke's brother has some appeal."

The Leafs moved up two spots - from seventh to fifth - last year in order to draft Luke, considered a blue-chip defenceman. Toronto is slated to pick seventh again and might have to move again to get Brayden, ranked as the fourth-best North American skater by NHL Central Scouting.

"Brayden, evaluated independently, is a gem in this year's draft," said E.J. Maguire, director of NHL Central Scouting. "This kid is going to get drafted really high because he's really good."

Though Burke has openly said he has his sights set on trying to land Ontario Hockey League scoring star John Tavares, who is widely expected to go with the first pick, the Leafs' GM has a history of stockpiling siblings.

In 1999 as GM of the Vancouver Canucks, Burke drafted identical twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin. He then reunited Scott Niedermayer with his older brother Rob in Anaheim, and the two combined to win a Stanley Cup.

"It has some risks," Burke said of family members playing on the same team.
"If one player is not playing well and has to be benched or sent down to the minors, you worry how the other brother will take it. But I wouldn't be afraid of that with Schenn. If one player is a character guy, it's likely that the other will be, too."

Schenn is not the only draft-eligible player with a famous family tree.

Landon Ferraro, Tyson Barrie, Carter Ashton and Tim Erixon all had fathers who played in the NHL, while No. 1-ranked North American netminder Matthew Hackett's uncle Jeff played for six different teams and is currently the goaltending coach for the Colorado Avalanche.

"It makes you want these players more intently," Maguire said. "Whether the Leafs move up to the five spot or not is a bit of intrigue for the Toronto people locally. But it would be nice to have that brother combination, although it hasn't hurt the Staals to be playing on different teams."

The Schenns have played on the same team only once, when Brayden was bumped up an age group in novice. Neither brother has much memory of that season.

But both remember the one time they met as opponents in the Western Hockey League.

"Luke got the better of me," said Brayden, whose Brandon Wheat Kings lost 8-1 to Luke's Kelowna Rockets in the 2007-08 season. "He knocked me on my a-."
"I caught him pretty good," Luke told The Hockey News. "I had to let him know who was the older brother, who was the tough one."

Indeed, Luke is about two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Brayden.
But outside of the rink and the gym, there is one area where the kid brother has his older brother's numbers: video games.

"Since he's been home, we've played about 15 games (of NHL '09) and he's beaten me just once," said Brayden. "So I got the edge on Xbox."
If the Leafs trade up to the fourth spot to pick Brayden, there might be more for him to brag about.

"I'm definitely excited - and my parents are, too - about the chance of me maybe being a part of the Leafs organization," he said. "You never know what can happen on draft day. But it's just going to be a great relief and excitement to play on any team."
National Post
mtraikos@nationalpost.com

---

Lots of questions about the Maple Leafs, including speculation that tehy may try to sign The Sedin Twins and other blue chip UFAs...perhaps snag some attractive RFAs.

But goaltending looms large as an area of concern, with the Leafs' netminding being a revolving door last year, and once valued prospect Justin Pogge seemingly having pooped out under pressure.

So what's the REAL story in Toronto? Will The Burke make it happen?

And what do YOU think?

Last edited by davetherave on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

2What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Thu May 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Mediocrity

3What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 7:38 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Mediocrity

So do you think the Leafs will be better or worse than the Senators next year (the two teams finished just two points apart)?

Why/why not?

4What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 8:07 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Burke has some interesting plans. If he is successful, then TO will be much better. He has got to solve the goaltending as well though. Toskala seems to have lost the edge he played with before last season

If he snags the Sedins and drafts Schenn, then he will be on his way

5What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 8:56 am

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

The thing i don't understand is that he (burke) is aiming to make the playoffs - when they really need 2-3 more years to accumulate top 5 picks.

6What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 10:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hayden wrote:The thing i don't understand is that he (burke) is aiming to make the playoffs - when they really need 2-3 more years to accumulate top 5 picks.

Or he's trying to make the Leaf fan base feel good by talking tough and suggesting failure to make the playoffs is unacceptable bla bla bla.

- Unknown Author

7What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:

So do you think the Leafs will be better or worse than the Senators next year (the two teams finished just two points apart)?

Why/why not?

The Leafs lost (will lose) more than they have (will have) replaced. Even if they trade up and get into the top-five, a rookie is not going to turn this team around.

The Sens got a new coach who actually practices what he preaches, doles out ice time in proportion to effort and contribution, and is just better at coaching than his two predecessors.

The improved in goal, twice -- first by removing Gerber and replacing him with Elliott, and second by getting Leclaire. It remains to be seen who is the backup -- Elliott is an improvement over Auld IMO, so we'll see.

The Sens lost a top-six forward in Vermette. I just don't know if Regin is ready to replace him, but everyone else thinks he will. Certainly, it will not be difficult to improve on Vermette's point production from last season, and Regin has shown he can win face offs -- maybe not top-six in the league, but we'll see.

The defense can't be as bad as it was last year. Lee is improving, despite what some of you say. Campoli was brought in late and has shown he can get it done. Bell (if he's back) blossomed under Clouston. If Karlsson makes it out of training camp, it would have to be because he is seen as being ready, and that would be a huge plus. But even without Karlsson, this defense is at least a slight upgrade over last season.

Bounce-back factor: Is anybody going to argue that Fisher and Phillips will have better seasons than last year? Phillips showed a huge improvement in the second half, as evidenced by the improvement in his plus/minus rating. Many other players had bad years and are due for at least some improvement.

Yes, Alfie is one year older, but the team, overall, will probably be younger with the likes of Regin, Shannon, Bass, Karlsson making a push for permanent status.

I like our chances of finishing ahead of the Leafs, and not by just by two pints.

Edit: 3500! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

8What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 10:24 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

I like our chances of finishing ahead of the Leafs, and not by just by two pints.

Edit: 3500! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Pints eh? scratch

- Unknown Author

9What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

Pints eh? scratch

Damn spell checker has no context rules.

Owed to a Spell Chequer

I halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plane lee marques four my revue
Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
Your sure reel glad two no
It's vary polished in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me awl stiles two reed
And aides mi when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud
And wee mussed dew the best wee can
Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling
is checked with such grate flare
Their are know faults with in my cite
Of nun eye am a wear

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed to be a joule
The chequer poured o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule

That's why aye brake in two averse
My righting wants too pleas
Sow now ewe sea wye aye dew prays
Such soft wear for pea seas

Last edited by wprager on Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

10What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 11:01 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:

Why/why not?

The leafs have to go through a bigger overhaul than the Sens do, and I foresee the gap between the Sens and Leafs being much bigger if the Sens keep their record over the last 30 regular season games going, I have no idea how Toronto did those last 30 games to be honest, but I do know the Sens were in the top 5 in winning percentage and the Leafs for sure were not. Regardless though, we still may be floundering around the 7th or 8th spot this year, I don't expect a top 4 conference finish, but would welcome it.

11What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's obviously too early to make any kind of judgement since there are moves to be made still. I guess based on Burke's statements and his ability to follow through, as a Leaf fan you'd have to be excited if he's able to accomplish that before October. I personally think based on the Leafs needs and the Sens needs coupled with the improvements both teams can realistically hope to achieve I give the edge to the Sens by more than two Pints points as Wprager said earlier. cool)

- Unknown Author

12What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 4:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It's obviously too early to make any kind of judgement since there are moves to be made still. I guess based on Burke's statements and his ability to follow through, as a Leaf fan you'd have to be excited if he's able to accomplish that before October. I personally think based on the Leafs needs and the Sens needs coupled with the improvements both teams can realistically hope to achieve I give the edge to the Sens by more than two Pints points as Wprager said earlier. cool)

Actually I just realized it's not even a typo. I'm using a wireless keyboard and the receiver had fallen down off the desk and behind the PC. Of course now that I've fixed that, the batteries will probably need to be replaced soon.

13What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From today's Toronto Star:

Leafs will be buyers this summer: Burke

Kevin McGran/The Star, May 29, 2009

The Toronto Maple Leafs will open up the vault this summer and "spend to the cap," says GM Brian Burke.

"We intend to be pushing the cap every year. We want to spend the money intelligently. We're Big Blue, we're going to spend to the cap."

The Leafs had about a $7 million cushion under the salary cap last year and have enough money this year to go after high-priced free agents.

Burke made his comment at the NHL Combine where the top prospects for the summer draft were working out.

Burke said he's no closer to landing the top pick overall, a goal he set at the end of the season.

"I got nothing so far," said Burke. "But I didn't expect I would. I guess what I would say is no progress to report. But I'm not discouraged yet.

"The two times I've done this is on the floor, so I'm not surprised there's no progress yet."

The Islanders hold the top pick overall; the Leafs seventh.

14What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 12:50 am

ScotLoucks

Prospect
Prospect

Interesting DTR;

Kevin McGran is full of Dung.

Burke is on record in the Sun as saying they will be careful with their dollars this summer. The Big boys will be for sale next summer when the cap is expected to go down.

Wouldn't surprise me if Burkie is yanking all their chains. (media) He seems to get a kick out of it.

There will be no Bouwmeester or Sedin or Cammalleri signings this summer Leaf fans. Burke will not sign any forwards to a contract that exceeds that of Hagman. He may open the vault for a Beauchemin though....

Big question is whether Kaberle and or Kubina move before September.

Burke will sign another goal tender. If it isn't the Swedish kid then it will be a free agent. Pogge is out of the equation for this year as far as the Leafs go. Questionable even to be resigned as a Marlie.

As for the Sens.... the Sens will finish ahead of the Leafs. The Sens would/should have made the playoffs this year ahead of both the NYR and the Canadiens.... had they had their Doogie Howser coach from the beginning. The addition of a goaltender makes them better already.

Cheers

http://MapleLeafsHotStove.Com

15What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 1:16 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ScotLoucks wrote:Interesting DTR;

Kevin McGran is full of Dung.

Burke is on record in the Sun as saying they will be careful with their dollars this summer. The Big boys will be for sale next summer when the cap is expected to go down.

Wouldn't surprise me if Burkie is yanking all their chains. (media) He seems to get a kick out of it.

There will be no Bouwmeester or Sedin or Cammalleri signings this summer Leaf fans. Burke will not sign any forwards to a contract that exceeds that of Hagman. He may open the vault for a Beauchemin though....

Big question is whether Kaberle and or Kubina move before September.

Burke will sign another goal tender. If it isn't the Swedish kid then it will be a free agent. Pogge is out of the equation for this year as far as the Leafs go. Questionable even to be resigned as a Marlie.

As for the Sens.... the Sens will finish ahead of the Leafs. The Sens would/should have made the playoffs this year ahead of both the NYR and the Canadiens.... had they had their Doogie Howser coach from the beginning. The addition of a goaltender makes them better already.

Cheers

Mr Loucks, thank you for piercing the fetid veil of Mr McGran's so-called 'expert view'.

As you have become one of the more well known voices in the blogosphere on the subject of all things Leafcentric, welcome to GM Hockey.

Looking forward to your penetrating commentary on Leaf Nation and all things puckological.

Cheers.

Cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 15]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum