GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for The Maple Leafs?

+17
mattshock
spader
Jordo
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
PKC
PTFlea
asq2
Mariposa Belle
shabbs
ScotLoucks
SensFan71
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Hayden
beedub
davetherave
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

16What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

From today's Toronto Star:

Leafs will be buyers this summer: Burke

Kevin McGran/The Star, May 29, 2009

The Toronto Maple Leafs will open up the vault this summer and "spend to the cap," says GM Brian Burke.

"We intend to be pushing the cap every year. We want to spend the money intelligently. We're Big Blue, we're going to spend to the cap."

The Leafs had about a $7 million cushion under the salary cap last year and have enough money this year to go after high-priced free agents.

Burke made his comment at the NHL Combine where the top prospects for the summer draft were working out.

Burke said he's no closer to landing the top pick overall, a goal he set at the end of the season.

"I got nothing so far," said Burke. "But I didn't expect I would. I guess what I would say is no progress to report. But I'm not discouraged yet.

"The two times I've done this is on the floor, so I'm not surprised there's no progress yet."

The Islanders hold the top pick overall; the Leafs seventh.

17What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 12:50 am

ScotLoucks

Prospect
Prospect

Interesting DTR;

Kevin McGran is full of Dung.

Burke is on record in the Sun as saying they will be careful with their dollars this summer. The Big boys will be for sale next summer when the cap is expected to go down.

Wouldn't surprise me if Burkie is yanking all their chains. (media) He seems to get a kick out of it.

There will be no Bouwmeester or Sedin or Cammalleri signings this summer Leaf fans. Burke will not sign any forwards to a contract that exceeds that of Hagman. He may open the vault for a Beauchemin though....

Big question is whether Kaberle and or Kubina move before September.

Burke will sign another goal tender. If it isn't the Swedish kid then it will be a free agent. Pogge is out of the equation for this year as far as the Leafs go. Questionable even to be resigned as a Marlie.

As for the Sens.... the Sens will finish ahead of the Leafs. The Sens would/should have made the playoffs this year ahead of both the NYR and the Canadiens.... had they had their Doogie Howser coach from the beginning. The addition of a goaltender makes them better already.

Cheers

http://MapleLeafsHotStove.Com

18What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 1:16 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

ScotLoucks wrote:Interesting DTR;

Kevin McGran is full of Dung.

Burke is on record in the Sun as saying they will be careful with their dollars this summer. The Big boys will be for sale next summer when the cap is expected to go down.

Wouldn't surprise me if Burkie is yanking all their chains. (media) He seems to get a kick out of it.

There will be no Bouwmeester or Sedin or Cammalleri signings this summer Leaf fans. Burke will not sign any forwards to a contract that exceeds that of Hagman. He may open the vault for a Beauchemin though....

Big question is whether Kaberle and or Kubina move before September.

Burke will sign another goal tender. If it isn't the Swedish kid then it will be a free agent. Pogge is out of the equation for this year as far as the Leafs go. Questionable even to be resigned as a Marlie.

As for the Sens.... the Sens will finish ahead of the Leafs. The Sens would/should have made the playoffs this year ahead of both the NYR and the Canadiens.... had they had their Doogie Howser coach from the beginning. The addition of a goaltender makes them better already.

Cheers

Mr Loucks, thank you for piercing the fetid veil of Mr McGran's so-called 'expert view'.

As you have become one of the more well known voices in the blogosphere on the subject of all things Leafcentric, welcome to GM Hockey.

Looking forward to your penetrating commentary on Leaf Nation and all things puckological.

Cheers.

Cheers

19What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 7:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Burke will most likely continue on the path of accumulating picks galore in order to build the team up. If he's selling a post-season appearance to fans, I think they'll be sorely disappointed.

We'll see how active he is at the draft and when the UFA's become available.

20What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 8:09 pm

Mariposa Belle

Mariposa Belle
Prospect
Prospect

I agree with Scot, and have always thought that Burke is blowing smoke. The team is not one player away from glory. There needs to be a base to build around. Schenn is that key product, but the forwards have to be rebuilt (is Hagman really that well paid?).

Another 10th place beckons, but if other teams melt, possibly 8th.

Sens should finish ahead of the Leafs, but could struggle to get to 6th.

21What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 8:31 pm

Mariposa Belle wrote:I agree with Scot, and have always thought that Burke is blowing smoke. The team is not one player away from glory. There needs to be a base to build around. Schenn is that key product, but the forwards have to be rebuilt (is Hagman really that well paid?).

I think goaltending will be key for both teams. Will Leclaire be able to bounce back from injury? Or Toskala for that matter. Schenn is a key piece, but I do not believe he's the block you build around. He's a hell of a block in the foundation though.

Usually I don't listen to anything Burke has to say, since it's usually laced with hypocrisy. He has managed in the past though to pull some big moves off on the draft floor so the Leafs moving up wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps not 1st or 2nd, but perhaps he will trade up if there is a guy he feels he's got to have.

22What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sat May 30, 2009 10:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Mariposa Belle wrote:I agree with Scot, and have always thought that Burke is blowing smoke. The team is not one player away from glory. There needs to be a base to build around. Schenn is that key product, but the forwards have to be rebuilt (is Hagman really that well paid?).

Hagman's actually one of the better deals on that team.

They just have a poor forward corps in general, especially with Antropov gone. VeTo underwhelmed this year, as well.

23What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:

Hagman's actually one of the better deals on that team.

They just have a poor forward corps in general, especially with Antropov gone. VeTo underwhelmed this year, as well.

The Maple Leafs are something of a strange team. They were 6th in the Conference on offense and 15th on defense last year (much like Atlanta, who were 5th and 14th in those departments). They finished two points below Ottawa. When I went to see them their last game in Ottawa against the Senators at SBP, I saw some players who looked like they could form part of a competitive team. Oreskovic and Williams stood out that night as young guys who worked hard, but overall the team seems to lack consistent focus and discipline.

Not sure where The Burke starts with rebuilding the Leafs. A goaltender makes the most sense...I suppose.
Shrug

24What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Very interesting stuff. They have 42 million tied up in 17 players, so assuming that teams want to roll with 21 roster players (1 scratch), they have around 10 million to work with (leaving 2 as buffer). That's quite interesting for Burke I would imagine.

First: identify where you want to go with the identity of the team. He might be able to find a take for Stajan with one year left at 1.75, but he won't want to take back salary. Same applies for Stempniak.

What does he do with his D? Does he move Kaberle and keep Kubina? Does he moved both and use the money elsewhere. Can he find a taker for Finger? VanRyn? How does he want to re-tool his D?

I would imagine there will be major offers made for Pronger - and I think it might actually work to be honest. Assuming Pronger wouldn't mind playing in TO (which he probably would), if he waives his NTC, I could easily see a Kaberle for Pronger swap. Then Burke extends Pronger for 3 or 4 years and wins the deal hands down.

If that doesn't work, he'll take a run at Neidermayer, Bouwmeester etc. If he can move up or acquire picks for all the useless junk he has up front, he's in good shape. If GMs laugh at him and his Stempniak for 2.5 million, then there's not much he can really do. He might be able to buyout some of the guys he has no use for, but that's a pain - and I think there's a limit to the number of buyouts if I'm not mistaken.

He might waive a guy like Stempniak and see if he can hook someone for the contract (not that I'm picking on Stempniak, but I think he's woefully overrated).

I see the temptation for him to try for the Sedins, I really do. It might not be the best decision of all time, but they're strong. If he can make line 2-4 tough and fast, while re-tooling his D on the fly, he might be okay. Otherwise, he's just going to spin his wheels in a better ride. End up making the playoffs and get smoked, losing the all important positions in the draft.

Tricky summer for Burke. And don't let him BS you, he's as nervous as a rookie GM. These will be major decisions that will follow him and the Leafs for the next X number of years.

25What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Burke has years worth of mess to clean up. As far as how Burke builds the team? It'll likely be big tough players that are simply there to punish other teams and rack up the penalty minutes. Leaf nation will eat it up.

- Unknown Author

26What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Burke has years worth of mess to clean up. As far as how Burke builds the team? It'll likely be big tough players that are simply there to punish other teams and rack up the penalty minutes. Leaf nation will eat it up.
Heh. I can see Burke now...

"Hey, we may suck, but we're fun as hell to watch play."

27What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Burke has years worth of mess to clean up. As far as how Burke builds the team? It'll likely be big tough players that are simply there to punish other teams and rack up the penalty minutes. Leaf nation will eat it up.
Heh. I can see Burke now...

"Hey, we may suck, but we're fun as hell to watch play."

And now I have more reason to hate the Leafs again. It was getting hard to hate them when they had no identity, they were soft and their coach was a nice mild mannered guy. Even their GM was hard to hate.

GM - Over rated and loves to hear himself talk - Easy to hate there.

Coach - See GM comments - Again easy to hate.

Players - Burkey will take care of that in due time. It won't be long before I can thoroughly hate the Leafs again. 🇬🇬

Ahhh.. All is right in the world again. Smile

- Unknown Author

28What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:39 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The rivalries will be all well and good again soon...

Wink

29What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:41 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:The rivalries will be all well and good again soon...

Wink

Yup. For a while there I was actually hating the Habs more than the Leafs. Ahhhhh!

- Unknown Author

30What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:46 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:The rivalries will be all well and good again soon...

Wink

Yup. For a while there I was actually hating the Habs more than the Leafs. Ahhhhh!
That may continue for me next season...

31What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Yahoo Sports provides their perspective on the Leafs as D-Day approaches for The Burke--as well as a tribute to the late Peter Zezel:

Inside Shots: Toronto Maple Leafs Team Report
Yahoo Sports, June 3, 2009

The Toronto hockey community lost one of its greatest ambassadors when ex-Leaf and 15-year NHL player Peter Zezel passed away from complications after surgery related to a longstanding blood disorder.

A key part of the Leafs’ back-to-back Western Conference finalist teams in the early 1990s and a junior star in his hometown, Zezel was 44.

“Peter was the ultimate caring friend and teammate … our hockey family is devastated,” said Mark Osborne, his close friend and linemate in Toronto. “I had just been in contact with him a few days before he went into the hospital. This has been a shock to everyone.”

Zezel almost died in 2001 from a condition called hemolytic anemia. He fought it and was able to lead a near-normal life. But during spleen surgery the week before he died, major complications developed.

“Peter will forever be remembered as a great teammate and a wonderful individual who touched the lives of many both on and off the ice,” a statement from the family read.

Zezel, well known for his acts of charity, donated his organs.

“His biggest asset as a player was his brain,” ex-Leaf captain Wendel Clark said. “He started in the league around the same time I did (in the mid-1980s) and was drafted as an offensive player. But through 15 years (and seven teams, ending with Vancouver in 1999) he was smart enough to ask himself, ‘How can I help in other ways’? He became a strong defensive player, and that’s how he lasted so long.”

Season Highlight: The Leafs started four rookies on opening night in Detroit and upset the Stanley Cup champion Red Wings 3-2. It served notice that Toronto had definitely moved on from the Pat Quinn era, which favored veterans. Toronto would come close to 400 rookie games in the course of the season, and 10 players appeared in their first NHL games as Leafs.

Turning Point: On Oct. 21, frustrated that both G
Vesa Toskala and G Curtis Joseph could not win clutch games, coach Ron Wilson replaced Toskala with Joseph for the home shootout against Anaheim. But Toronto still lost, and inconsistent goaltending would be an issue until February.

Notes, Quotes

The NHL scouting combine was scheduled for May 30-31 in Toronto, and the Leafs planned to be actively interviewing a number of junior-aged stars. Toronto is picking seventh overall, but the sentimental favorite is forward Braydon Schenn, brother of Toronto D
Luke Schenn, from the Western Hockey League.

Leafs officials continue to keep mum on the possibility of a second team in the Greater Toronto Area, as sought by Jim Balsillie in his attempts to buy the Phoenix Coyotes. Most believe the Leafs would seek a hefty territorial infringement fee if Balsillie were to gain control and try to get the Coyotes to Copps Coliseum in nearby Hamilton, Ont.

Quote To Note: “Peter was a friend and a great family man who was well liked by everyone he crossed paths with in our game.”—NHLPA executive Glenn Healy on the death of Peter Zezel.

Roster Report

Most Valuable Player: LW
Jason Blake had won few friends with the Leafs in his first year. He was sullen about his new surroundings, the media attention and lack of production after a 40-goal year on Long Island. But after he won the Bill Masterton Trophy for playing through a treatable form of leukemia, his attitude changed and points skyrocketed this season, when he was the first American in 20 years to lead the Leafs in scoring.

Most Disappointing Player: Much was expected of G Vesa Toskala after he excelled with a defensively weak team in his first season. But when GM Brian Burke blamed the Leafs missing the playoffs this year on goaltending, he was referring to Toskala’s autumn struggles, which contributed to Toronto’s NHL-worst save percentage.

Free Agent Focus: At least Leaf general manager Brian Burke is admitting to the possibility of pursuing the Sedin Twins if they don’t re-sign with the Canucks.

It has been widely expected that Daniel and Henrik would first listen to Burke if they decide to move, as he had pulled many strings to get them drafted together in Vancouver 10 years ago. Burke would only say it would be problematic for any team to try to break them up, but paying for both would break the bank for many clubs.

Player Notes:

G Jonas Gustavsson’s mother passed away, which temporarily put on hold the Leafs’ pursuit of the Swedish star.

One of the teams the Leafs were thought to be competing against is the Colorado Avalanche, but the decision of Patrick Roy not to seek the coaching job there could sway Gustavsson, who idolized Roy as a kid.

Medical Watch:

G Vesa Toskala underwent hip surgery in Vail, Col., on March 9 and is expected to have less serious groin surgery at a later date. A full recovery is expected.

D Mike Van suffered a torn medial collateral ligament on March 7, his fourth serious injury of the year, but escaped an even worse anterior cruciate injury and should be able to skate by June.

D
Erik Reitz (broken foot) has yet to play for the Leafs after they claimed him on waivers from the New York Rangers.

32What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:29 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Howard Berger of Toronto's Fan 590 gives his opinion in anticipation of Brian Burke's upcoming moves, and on the Leafs looking forward:

BURKE UNLIKELY TO EXPLOIT BUYOUT WINDOW

Howard Berger, Fan590.com, June 8, 2009

PITTSBURGH (June 8) – When questioned, at the end of the regular season, about the onerous contract commitments the Maple Leafs have for 2009-10, general manager Brian Burke dismissed the issue, suggesting there are many ways to eliminate players from the roster. Among the alternatives Burke mentioned was the buyout option – an annual license, granted by the collective bargaining agreement, which allows teams to purge up to three contracts in a two-week window that begins June 15. The Leafs utilized the option last year to dismiss Andrew Raycroft and Darcy Tucker from the hockey club, having done so previously with Ed Belfour and Tie Domi.

The buyout option, however, has a major draw-back that obliges a team to continue paying the player it releases – in most cases, two-thirds of outstanding salary spread over twice the remaining term; all of the money counting against the annual cap figure. As such, the Leafs are on the hook with Tucker for $1 million in each of the next four seasons, and the club must pay Raycroft $733,333 next season. Buyouts are therefore looked upon as a last resort and are not considered paramount by a manager choosing to be aggressive and/or creative. Burke is claiming he’ll fit that bill this summer, as he begins to place his stamp on the Maple Leafs. So, it came as no surprise when he suggested during an e-mail exchange earlier today that he's unlikely to utilize the buyout window, opening next Monday.

“Not planning to,” Burke wrote. “Buyouts carry cap hits. [But,] it doesn’t mean we won’t change our minds later.”

And, that’s the best way for Burke to position the Leafs’ early off-season strategy. If he wanted to create three quick vacancies on the roster, Burke could easily buy out, say,
Jamal Mayers, Lee Stempniak and either of Jonas Frogren or Matt Stajan – none of whom are likely to lead a Stanley Cup charge in the coming years. That isn't the plan, but neither should Burke entirely discount the option, for it might prove more sensible prior to, or immediately following, the NHL draft. At some point this summer, the Leafs’ GM will have to deal with the number of commitments on the docket for next season. Trades and waivers are also effective ways to eliminate contracts without getting stuck with unwanted salary and Burke is almost certain to utilize both.

As it stands, the Leafs have 20 players under contract that most expect will either be on the roster next season, or strongly challenge for a spot. They are: Forwards Tyler Bozak,
Jason Blake, Christan Hanson, Niklas Hagman, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Nik Kulemin, John Mitchell, Jiri Tlusty, Stempniak, Stajan and Mayers; defensemen Pavel Kubina, Tomas Kaberle, Mike Van Ryn, Luke Schenn, Jeff Finger, Ian White, Anton Stralman and Frogren; and goalie Vesa Toskala. Not included are restricted free agent Mikhail Grabovski; a back-up goaltender, young players such as Jeremy Williams and Phil Oreskovic, and, perhaps, a high first-round draft pick that may grab a spot as Schenn did last season. So, even though Burke scoffs at the notion it’ll be tricky for him to juggle all the contracts, the number is rather imposing, given that rosters are limited to 23 men.

Burke’s off-season maneuvering will be fascinating to observe. In his prior NHL stops, he has rarely hesitated to make quick, challenging judgments that are normally cause for deferment. That’s why he will likely take an aggressive approach to pursuing free agents, and to discussing trade options for players such as Kaberle, Kubina and Ponikarovsky. If Grabovski chooses arbitration to land a contract extension – as is threatened – Burke has the option to either walk away from a ruling, or to trade his most dynamic forward from last season.

Do not dismiss either possibility.

Spending to the cap limit has been a peculiar badge of honor for the Leafs in most years since the lockout. It has also guaranteed absolutely nothing, as is evidenced by the number of playoff appearances the club has made. So, I’m not certain why Burke got caught up in issuing a similar claim last week. Unless he engineers an all-out assault on the post-season – which will unavoidably come at the expense of long-term planning – exhausting the cap figure would be largely a grandstanding gesture.

One general manager told me on a flight last week that he thinks the Leafs are actually “looking to spend about $40 million and finish near the bottom of the league.” With Schenn in the fold, and another high draft pick this summer — Burke is angling to maneuver upward from No. 7 — a third year in the nether regions of the NHL would almost guarantee a precipitous rise through the standings [witness Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc.]. But, it’s difficult to imagine the intensely competitive Burke idling through his first full season at the helm of the Blue & White.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com

33What's Next for The Maple Leafs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next for The Maple Leafs? Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:40 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

One general manager told me on a flight last week that he thinks the Leafs are actually “looking to spend about $40 million and finish near the bottom of the league.” With Schenn in the fold, and another high draft pick this summer — Burke is angling to maneuver upward from No. 7 — a third year in the nether regions of the NHL would almost guarantee a precipitous rise through the standings [witness Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc.]. But, it’s difficult to imagine the intensely competitive Burke idling through his first full season at the helm of the Blue & White.

If you look to move up in the top 3, you are looking to either fleece another GM completely or the deal will involve Schenn, I guarantee you that one, and since Burkie I don't think is that stupid to let Schenn go, he will be settling with the # 7.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum