GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Elliott sets NHL record

+15
beerandsens
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
SensFan71
TeamRenzo
Urkie
ddt
wprager
Cronie
Hockeyhero22000
smash88
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
caissie_1
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:04 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:And a change of scenery. I don't think it was going to happen here.

He was close to a PPG under Clouston I think. And he was pretty good with Stillman too.
Bryan Murray said it himself, He had a lot of calls about Vermette, and that's not a coincidence, for a player who's been playing on an awful team this season.

47Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 am

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

HowieMorenz wrote:Elliott is very very good. I seriously think he should win rookie of the year.

So what to do? Deal for a starting goalie in his place to crush his spirits lol. Did they not learn with the gerber incident.

However, I can't dispute Verm for what's his face and a draft pick. Verm was finished in ottawa, great move dumping him especiallly after he took the team to arbritration last summer.

a

I am looking for an obvious mark of sarcasm in this statement, but I'm not sure it's there. The Spock picture tells me you're serious, but the statement that Elliot should win rookie of they year seems absolutely ridiculous. I think Mason beats Elliot in pretty much every category.

Also, I think most people are giving Elliot a little too much credit. Sure he is getting the wins, but his numbers are not great. This record is due more to all of the offence the team is getting up front rather than the stellar play on the back.

48Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:51 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Mojo wrote:
HowieMorenz wrote:Elliott is very very good. I seriously think he should win rookie of the year.

So what to do? Deal for a starting goalie in his place to crush his spirits lol. Did they not learn with the gerber incident.

However, I can't dispute Verm for what's his face and a draft pick. Verm was finished in ottawa, great move dumping him especiallly after he took the team to arbritration last summer.

a

I am looking for an obvious mark of sarcasm in this statement, but I'm not sure it's there. The Spock picture tells me you're serious, but the statement that Elliot should win rookie of they year seems absolutely ridiculous. I think Mason beats Elliot in pretty much every category.

Also, I think most people are giving Elliot a little too much credit. Sure he is getting the wins, but his numbers are not great. This record is due more to all of the offence the team is getting up front rather than the stellar play on the back.

But, perhaps, one of the reasons his numbers (I assume you're talking about SV% and GAA) are not great is because of the team's offensive style. And while wer're at it, let's talk about our defense. Half the guys here are 6-7 guys on most teams. Lee is not even good enough to make our squad (got sent down early, only playing because Smith and Picard are out); Bell hasn't been able to land a full-time NHL job in several seasons; Schubert is, well, a 4th line banger. That's half of our D. A rookie goalie playing behind that D is not expected to get great numbers. Getting wins is a huge bonus.

49Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:
asq2 wrote:And a change of scenery. I don't think it was going to happen here.

He was close to a PPG under Clouston I think. And he was pretty good with Stillman too.
Bryan Murray said it himself, He had a lot of calls about Vermette, and that's not a coincidence, for a player who's been playing on an awful team this season.

I'm happy for Vermette, but he had his chances here and just did not produce consistently. Even when he flourished with Stillman, it only lasted a couple of weeks. He is a 0.5 PPG guy over a season, but during that time he has equal stretches of 0-fers and 1 PPG. He was definitely affected by off-ice pressure. Remember how he swooned heading into the trade deadline time and then went on a tear when the deadline passed and he wasn't traded (last year?) Perhaps playing in Columbus will help him in that regard.

And, of course, ice time and linemate don't hurt either.

50Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:03 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

For sure, don't get me wrong, I am not in any way an Elliot basher. I hope this guy does pan out and becomes our goalie of the future. Right now it is by no means a lock that this happens. I never like it when fans put on too many expectations on young players (especially goalies) far too early in their career, just look at Montreal.

51Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:35 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_records_(individual)

Most consecutive wins by a goaltender in his rookie season: Brian Elliott, 6 (2008-09)

Unbelievable! :KKK:

that's franchise history, not NHL history

52Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Way go to Elliott! Nice job.

53Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:42 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Way go to Elliott! Nice job.

queue the Brian Elliot Appreciation thread, with this many players putting in effort like this when the season is a bust, it really looks good for next year.

54Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What an elite company he's in, breaking the record he held along with Emery and Hurme.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's a bit of a letdown after thinking he had an NHL record. Oh, well, the way it's going, who knows. In any case, seven wins in a row is pretty good for any goalie.

55Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:46 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:What an elite company he's in, breaking the record he held along with Emery and Hurme.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's a bit of a letdown after thinking he had an NHL record. Oh, well, the way it's going, who knows. In any case, seven wins in a row is pretty good for any goalie.

very true, and it makes us breath a bit easier to say Elliott is there incase (or when) Leclaire goes down to injury again.

56Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:56 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, Elliott goes for his 8th win in a row tonight?

57Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:20 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

What I like also is that we score amny goals that help his confidence. He is well surrounded in terms of leadership too IMO. NOt like some goalie onn my side of the river.

58Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:What I like also is that we score amny goals that help his confidence. He is well surrounded in terms of leadership too IMO. NOt like some goalie onn my side of the river.

What are you talking about? Halak's having a blast.

By the way, I read an interesting take on the Carbo firing. The blogger (sorry, forget who -- either SensChirp or SilverSevenSens) thinks that the main reason Carbo was fired was that he stopped playing Price and went with Halak. Remember when their last-10 games record was 6-3-1? That was when they had lost 2 in a row shortly after Gainey took over. Maybe he (the blogger) is bang-on. Gainey drafted this guy well ahead of where others thought he'd be taken, then traded Huet and handed the reins to the rookie. Price is Gainey's man (as is Kovalev, to a slightly lesser extent). Is Gainey this afraid to say he made a mistake?

59Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've read that around too that Carbo thought they had brought Price up too fast and that he was not ready.

60Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:57 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:What I like also is that we score amny goals that help his confidence. He is well surrounded in terms of leadership too IMO. NOt like some goalie onn my side of the river.

What are you talking about? Halak's having a blast.

By the way, I read an interesting take on the Carbo firing. The blogger (sorry, forget who -- either SensChirp or SilverSevenSens) thinks that the main reason Carbo was fired was that he stopped playing Price and went with Halak. Remember when their last-10 games record was 6-3-1? That was when they had lost 2 in a row shortly after Gainey took over. Maybe he (the blogger) is bang-on. Gainey drafted this guy well ahead of where others thought he'd be taken, then traded Huet and handed the reins to the rookie. Price is Gainey's man (as is Kovalev, to a slightly lesser extent). Is Gainey this afraid to say he made a mistake?

if Gainey is afraid of that then, well, he is sealing the fate of the montreal team for the next few years, take it on the chin as a mistake before you get fired Gainey.

61Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:02 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I've read that around too that Carbo thought they had brought Price up too fast and that he was not ready.

And they just said that last night on 110% (TQS) as well^^.

62Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:21 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, is the record 6 games or 7 games? CBC tonight mentioned it was 7 games and that Elliott would break the record tonight. What?

63Brian Elliott sets NHL record - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Elliott sets NHL record Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think they made a mistake. I just checked his game log for 04-05 and he had 6. But then the 7th game looks like a no-decision. He faced 3 shots and stopped them all. Not sure if that was in relief or what. Would have to go back and check Hasek's game log for the same period to figure out what happened, but no time now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469548&view=log&season=20052006

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum