GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mezaros to TB for Kuba, Picard and a 1st

+7
Aetherial
A-Train
Jordo
Number Twenty Nine
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Hayden
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

towelie112 wrote:Wow i'm new here and i gotta say i'm impressed with the level of analysis on a trade that happened not to long ago! I just found out about the trade myself and got all the info i need right here! Well my 2 cents on this, is that it's proof that florida breeds insanity in its gms! We got a steal on this one! Kuba can easely replace Mez in the imediate future and Picard he's going to be a great d-man in the near future if not this year, The pick well i wish it was tampa's cause chances of San Jose tanking are slim to none but a 1rst round pick is still a 1rst round pick!

With Picard i think the lines are gonna look like this:
Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard
And Schubert will move to the wing with some solid Power Play Time and our 7th D-man

San Jose's due for an implosion. Wink

504Heater wrote:
towelie112 wrote:Wow i'm new here and i gotta say i'm impressed with the level of analysis on a trade that happened not to long ago! I just found out about the trade myself and got all the info i need right here! Well my 2 cents on this, is that it's proof that florida breeds insanity in its gms! We got a steal on this one! Kuba can easely replace Mez in the imediate future and Picard he's going to be a great d-man in the near future if not this year, The pick well i wish it was tampa's cause chances of San Jose tanking are slim to none but a 1rst round pick is still a 1rst round pick!

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard
And Schubert will move to the wing with some solid Power Play Time and our 7th D-man

they look scary good though.

i said it before and i'll say it again, i believe thornton is the most complete player in the NHL

towelie112

Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard

Maybe but with them getting Boyle and Blake this year and not loosing much chances aren't very high! However they do have a new coach this year so you never know!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tukker wrote:
they look scary good though.

i said it before and i'll say it again, i believe thornton is the most complete player in the NHL

They're awesone, I was semi-kidding. They're one blown ACL on Thornton and/or Nabokov to be in a heap of trouble.

Still, there's little debate, they're wicked.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

The one thing about SJ pick is that it can be anywhere based on San Joses draft history over the past 10 years. So here is hoping that it falls into a top 10 in 2009.

2008 - 26 but traded to Buffalo
2007 - 9th overall
2006 - 16th
2005 - 8 - lockout year, Thornton joins team in November
2004 - 22
2003 - 6
2002 - 27
2001 - 20
2000 - 16 but traded to Montreal
1999 - 14
1998 - 3

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007877.html

So the pick could be anywhere. And wow SJ has traded away their 1st round pick 2 years in a row in what are deep drafts.

Phoenix30 wrote:The one thing about SJ pick is that it can be anywhere based on San Joses draft history over the past 10 years. So here is hoping that it falls into a top 10 in 2009.

2008 - 26 but traded to Buffalo
2007 - 9th overall
2006 - 16th
2005 - 8 - lockout year, Thornton joins team in November
2004 - 22
2003 - 6
2002 - 27
2001 - 20
2000 - 16 but traded to Montreal
1999 - 14
1998 - 3

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007877.html

So the pick could be anywhere. And wow SJ has traded away their 1st round pick 2 years in a row in what are deep drafts.
short term success, long term failure

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Potentially destructive long term. Wow.

504Heater wrote:Potentially destructive long term. Wow.
no kidding

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:

Meaning no disrespect but... ewww, no. There are plenty of guys I'd put in front of him. Starting with Iginla. And Lecavalier. And Zetterberg and Datsyuk. And...

And, seriously, I like Joe Thornton, a lot. He's possibly the best passer/play-maker in the game today. But, with all due respect, not the most complete player. He just doesn't have the goal-scorer's instinct or touch to be called that. Nor is he a penalty killer in the same league with all the above guys.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I can't believe I was at work - and busy - so that I couldn't see this unfold. Frank...I said I'd be in the shower when this all went down.

I went scouting around for numbers when this broke (in the 5 minutes I had to myself) and I noticed a lot of the things that DW was saying. 25 minutes per game? Wow, that's a lot of minutes. I think we can reduce those to 20-22 max, but it's nice to know that he can log those kinds of minutes.

He ran the PP most of the year like DW was saying, but I'm sure he was affected by the return of Boyle and probably missed out on some point there. If he makes first unit PP here, I think he can have some fun. I doubt 35-42 points are out of the question. And that's pretty much more than Mez has ever put up. Not to mention he had 15 goals in 06/07. I like the 131 blocked shots a lot too, means he's willing to sacrifice. I love that, I really do. When I heard he could be outmuscled, one of the first things I thought I'd see was like...40 blocked shots, but this guy likes to take rubber.

As for Picard, this guy's the key to the deal IMO. He's really nasty, loves to explode through guys and has a pretty good, accurate shot. He just hasn't put it all completely together. If Hartsburg can get him humming, he's a sick number 5 D-man to go with Jason Smith, who can show him the ropes. This is the guy that all TB fans are unhappy about losing...this is a fact.

As for the 1st rounder, I love having 2 first rounders. Are you kidding me? That's spectacular. It means that Murray might let it go for a superstar rental at the deadline, or McAmmond, Nycholat and a 1st could be packaged for something now. Or we use our great scouting staff to pick 2 potential top 4, top 6 or starting goalie. That's how it's done guys...I mean, you must restock the cupboards. And if you give away a 1st, you better have another (TB, good call here). Make no mistake, this is a powerful pick.

But...if the rumours are true about Mez signing a 6 year/4 million a year package...well the shift starts to go to even or to TB. That's a great package for a young, good D-man. It's a massive risk too, but it's one I would take. And if Murray was offering 3.5 X 5, then surely he would've gone to 4 X 6. I think this deal must be more than that. Otherwise, why not sign him to a 4 X 6 and then see how he does in year one? If the terms of the package are correct, this is the thing I don't understand.

TB loses out by replacing Boyle with Mez and losing Kuba. I mean...how stupid do you have to be? Your D sucks to begin with.

Anyway, that's my long-winded take.

If by "really nasty" you mean to suggest Picard is a physical player, I think you've been misled by someone.

Phoenix posted this link earlier:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alexandre_picard

If that assessment has any merit, then the one knock on Picard is that he "plays small for a bigger guy," i.e., he's not a physical presence and he doesn't use his size effectively.

IF this assessment is right, of course.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
If by "really nasty" you mean to suggest Picard is a physical player, I think you've been misled by someone.

If that assessment has any merit, then the one knock on Picard is that he "plays small for a bigger guy," i.e., he's not a physical presence and he doesn't use his size effectively.

It's not. He'd added the physical element to his game now apparently and loves to throw his weight around.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dobber's take on the trade is somewhat ambivalent, recognizing that we gave up the best player, but optimistic that we did well for our team long term:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1315/1/

He suggests the Sens' D will go through growing pains this year, and that we should expect inconsistent play from Kuba. That squares with my earlier assessment.

One interesting note: he seems to assume that Picard will make the roster. I discussed this topic with Dawg's wife earlier, so read back if you're interested. She/Dawg was of the opinion that Schubert would take the last D spot and that Picard would play the year in in the minors. Dobber assumes otherwise. I have to say that I place a lot of trust in Dobber, but I'm not sure what to make of the situation at the moment. Whether or not Picard has a legitimate shot at making the roster this year, I just don't know. Should be very interesting to see how this unfolds.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

It's not. He'd added the physical element to his game now apparently and loves to throw his weight around.

As they say over in HB land... Source?

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:I can't believe I was at work - and busy - so that I couldn't see this unfold. Frank...I said I'd be in the shower when this all went down.

I went scouting around for numbers when this broke (in the 5 minutes I had to myself) and I noticed a lot of the things that DW was saying. 25 minutes per game? Wow, that's a lot of minutes. I think we can reduce those to 20-22 max, but it's nice to know that he can log those kinds of minutes.

He ran the PP most of the year like DW was saying, but I'm sure he was affected by the return of Boyle and probably missed out on some point there. If he makes first unit PP here, I think he can have some fun. I doubt 35-42 points are out of the question. And that's pretty much more than Mez has ever put up. Not to mention he had 15 goals in 06/07. I like the 131 blocked shots a lot too, means he's willing to sacrifice. I love that, I really do. When I heard he could be outmuscled, one of the first things I thought I'd see was like...40 blocked shots, but this guy likes to take rubber.

As for Picard, this guy's the key to the deal IMO. He's really nasty, loves to explode through guys and has a pretty good, accurate shot. He just hasn't put it all completely together. If Hartsburg can get him humming, he's a sick number 5 D-man to go with Jason Smith, who can show him the ropes. This is the guy that all TB fans are unhappy about losing...this is a fact.

As for the 1st rounder, I love having 2 first rounders. Are you kidding me? That's spectacular. It means that Murray might let it go for a superstar rental at the deadline, or McAmmond, Nycholat and a 1st could be packaged for something now. Or we use our great scouting staff to pick 2 potential top 4, top 6 or starting goalie. That's how it's done guys...I mean, you must restock the cupboards. And if you give away a 1st, you better have another (TB, good call here). Make no mistake, this is a powerful pick.

But...if the rumours are true about Mez signing a 6 year/4 million a year package...well the shift starts to go to even or to TB. That's a great package for a young, good D-man. It's a massive risk too, but it's one I would take. And if Murray was offering 3.5 X 5, then surely he would've gone to 4 X 6. I think this deal must be more than that. Otherwise, why not sign him to a 4 X 6 and then see how he does in year one? If the terms of the package are correct, this is the thing I don't understand.

TB loses out by replacing Boyle with Mez and losing Kuba. I mean...how stupid do you have to be? Your D sucks to begin with.

Anyway, that's my long-winded take.

I suspect and hoping that Murray believes that with Pickards potential he can become more assertive and physical under the guidance of Hartsburg and Smith, while along with Lee and Karlson would become the puck mover of the future for the Sens.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Picard absolutely crushes people in in his own end. He will be the physical presence on d, not Shane O'Brien. I'm hoping I am proved wrong about SOB because I think he's terrible.

Straight from the mouth of a TB fan.

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Picard absolutely crushes people in in his own end. He will be the physical presence on d, not Shane O'Brien. I'm hoping I am proved wrong about SOB because I think he's terrible.

you found one affraid

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

Hmmm. I hope your, and this fellow's, confidence is well place, I do...

... but random TB poster #44 is not inspiring me with a sense of certainty. Time will tell us for sure, I suppose.

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Hmmm. I hope your, and this fellow's, confidence is well place, I do...

... but random TB poster #44 is not inspiring me with a sense of certainty. Time will tell us for sure, I suppose.
lets hope :D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum