GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mezaros to TB for Kuba, Picard and a 1st

+7
Aetherial
A-Train
Jordo
Number Twenty Nine
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Hayden
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Dawg's Wife wrote:That's a scouts dream...we love hearing that picks especially 1st and 2nd rounders are part of a deal...that means if we do our job the team in one year can turn around in a hurry...can you say Pittsburgh.
When you say "do our job" are you implying that you are a real scout? 'Cause that would be cool 8)

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:

Wow great question. If you were to say to me for just this year...Nycholat. I haven't seen Picard play at the AHL or NHL level at all so I can't say whether he has developed any more than what I saw in Junior. He's an Ottawa boy though (From Gatineau) so that may translate into something and he's also French so from an Org perspective it's a big boost.

He has raw potential, I'd say it was a coin flip...I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision. On a positive note Ottawa now has 2 1sts and a 2nd that will surely make an impact in the NHL in the future and will help out in the AHL next year. Well depending on whether they pick kids who have progressed enough at their current level.

That's a scouts dream...we love hearing that picks especially 1st and 2nd rounders are part of a deal...that means if we do our job the team in one year can turn around in a hurry...can you say Pittsburgh.

Very, very interesting. If you're right, then to me it says Picard is pretty much guaranteed to play in in the minors this year. And that means whether Schubert or Nycholat takes that final D spot is still not clear.

I read an interview with Schubert today at Sens Army blog. Judging from that, it seems like Schubert is expecting to play D this year. Maybe there is not question that our D will be

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Smith
Lee - Schubert

I guess we'll know in 3-4 weeks!

I wouldn't bet my house on that, Tukker. Its not as much of a longshot as you might think. At worst, I predict he'll be the 2009-10 version of last years' Lee - He'll spend some time in the AHL, but he won't likely stay there.
Did you know he's already put on 10 pounds, since the draft?

rooneypoo wrote:
cash wrote:
Whats funny about that is how it should be true, but - in fact - he's just a lazy ***hole and doesn't ask anything because he's so damn smart (his words - probably - not mine)
On the other hand, there's Ken Warren (a responsible journalist) who stated - in todays paper, no less - that we have a current cap-hit of 50.2 million. This was before the trade...
From what I can tell, 53.2 million is our current working cap.

Again, that number is pretty fluid at the moment. NHLSCAP is calculating in all 23 signed players at the moment, but we have to expect that that number will be shaved down to 20 or 21, meaning that 2-3 players will not make the final roster. Some will be sent down to the minors (Bass? Picard? Winchester [1-way deal, I know, but he can safely pass through waivers]?), and some (Nycholat?) may be traded. Either way, their salaries will not count against our cap, and so we can expect to bring our cap number down by about $2 mil this way.

Actually 50.2 was a number that only included 13 forwards, 6 D, 2 goalies, and Emery's poo. You can subtract a minimum of 1 million from that number (Nycholat gone and Bass down) but it likely won't lower much more than 1.5 million.

Last edited by cash on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:
karlsson won't make the team next year

Totally agreed. Karlsson's playing in Sweden this year. He'll have to play at least one year of pro NHL hockey with Bingo next year before we'd even consider giving him a roster spot. I don't see him making this team until 2010-11 at the earliest.

EDIT: anyway, cheers and good night all. My eyes are going squirrelly from looking at my laptop screen for the last 4 hours, my head is fuzzy from thinking about all this, and all this writing is taking away from quality drinking time. This is my last weekend before I start teaching again! Blah.

Last edited by rooneypoo on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

rooneypoo wrote:
Tukker wrote:
karlsson won't make the team next year

Totally agreed. Karlsson's playing in Sweden this year. He'll have to play at least one year of pro NHL hockey with Bingo next year before we'd even consider giving him a roster spot. I don't see him making this team until 2010-11 at the earliest.
As I said: I'm expecting him to be a part of the team by season's end in 2010.

Here's what Eklund had to say about it:
TSN is reporting that a deal is in place that will pay Meszaros $4 million per...

There are many things that one can say about the Ottawa Senators, but in my opinion the organization's BEST trait is that it pays its own fairly. Look down the line...Spezza, Alfie, Heatley, Redden...this organization does NOT prescribe to the theory that anyone from somewhere else is better than what you have. They sign there own and build very atutely from within.

So when Meszaros wasn't getting $4 million per from Ottawa you have to think.

The Lightning needed to pick up a D-man. No question.

So who won?

To me it all comes down to what happened with Dan Boyle in Tampa? That is a gamble that is magnified by this move. If you were going to pay one d-man a ton of money then why not an already established d-man who was a popular player and the key to the transition game.

I don't know the answer..but it is a valid argument and will be one of those aspects of the Lightning season we will all be watching...

Yeah, thanks for that ek :lol!: besides making up words like "atutely", using the wrong "their" and sentence fragments like "So when Meszaros wasn't getting $4million per from Ottawa you have to think." he also has a really tough time making a point...Its kind of sad, actually.
I'm guessing he was drunk when he wrote this.

cash wrote:Here's what Eklund had to say about it:
TSN is reporting that a deal is in place that will pay Meszaros $4 million per...

There are many things that one can say about the Ottawa Senators, but in my opinion the organization's BEST trait is that it pays its own fairly. Look down the line...Spezza, Alfie, Heatley, Redden...this organization does NOT prescribe to the theory that anyone from somewhere else is better than what you have. They sign there own and build very atutely from within.

So when Meszaros wasn't getting $4 million per from Ottawa you have to think.

The Lightning needed to pick up a D-man. No question.

So who won?

To me it all comes down to what happened with Dan Boyle in Tampa? That is a gamble that is magnified by this move. If you were going to pay one d-man a ton of money then why not an already established d-man who was a popular player and the key to the transition game.

I don't know the answer..but it is a valid argument and will be one of those aspects of the Lightning season we will all be watching...

Yeah, thanks for that ek :lol!: besides making up words like "atutely" and sentence fragments like "So when Meszaros wasn't getting $4million per from Ottawa you have to think." he also has a really tough time making a point...Its kind of sad, actually
we are slowly watching the frying of a man's brain.

seriously, it's like movies. Ideas are running out, so you either have to remake everything, and throw in some stupid Dung :D

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Oops, my mistake. This is what you wrote:

Bottom line: is Kuba from last year a big drop from Meszaros last year?

This is what I read:

Bottom line is Kuba from last year a big drop from Meszaros last year

See, kids, punctuation is *very* important.

Mezaros to TB for Kuba, Picard and a 1st - Page 5 1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can't believe I was at work - and busy - so that I couldn't see this unfold. Frank...I said I'd be in the shower when this all went down.

I went scouting around for numbers when this broke (in the 5 minutes I had to myself) and I noticed a lot of the things that DW was saying. 25 minutes per game? Wow, that's a lot of minutes. I think we can reduce those to 20-22 max, but it's nice to know that he can log those kinds of minutes.

He ran the PP most of the year like DW was saying, but I'm sure he was affected by the return of Boyle and probably missed out on some point there. If he makes first unit PP here, I think he can have some fun. I doubt 35-42 points are out of the question. And that's pretty much more than Mez has ever put up. Not to mention he had 15 goals in 06/07. I like the 131 blocked shots a lot too, means he's willing to sacrifice. I love that, I really do. When I heard he could be outmuscled, one of the first things I thought I'd see was like...40 blocked shots, but this guy likes to take rubber.

As for Picard, this guy's the key to the deal IMO. He's really nasty, loves to explode through guys and has a pretty good, accurate shot. He just hasn't put it all completely together. If Hartsburg can get him humming, he's a sick number 5 D-man to go with Jason Smith, who can show him the ropes. This is the guy that all TB fans are unhappy about losing...this is a fact.

As for the 1st rounder, I love having 2 first rounders. Are you kidding me? That's spectacular. It means that Murray might let it go for a superstar rental at the deadline, or McAmmond, Nycholat and a 1st could be packaged for something now. Or we use our great scouting staff to pick 2 potential top 4, top 6 or starting goalie. That's how it's done guys...I mean, you must restock the cupboards. And if you give away a 1st, you better have another (TB, good call here). Make no mistake, this is a powerful pick.

But...if the rumours are true about Mez signing a 6 year/4 million a year package...well the shift starts to go to even or to TB. That's a great package for a young, good D-man. It's a massive risk too, but it's one I would take. And if Murray was offering 3.5 X 5, then surely he would've gone to 4 X 6. I think this deal must be more than that. Otherwise, why not sign him to a 4 X 6 and then see how he does in year one? If the terms of the package are correct, this is the thing I don't understand.

TB loses out by replacing Boyle with Mez and losing Kuba. I mean...how stupid do you have to be? Your D sucks to begin with.

Anyway, that's my long-winded take.

rooneypoo wrote:

Very, very interesting. If you're right, then to me it says Picard is pretty much guaranteed to play in in the minors this year. And that means whether Schubert or Nycholat takes that final D spot is still not clear.

I read an interview with Schubert today at Sens Army blog. Judging from that, it seems like Schubert is expecting to play D this year. Maybe there is not question that our D will be

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Smith
Lee - Schubert

I'm guessing but I think if everything works out you'll see

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Schubert
Lee - Smith

Unless I'm wrong, Schubert did the bulk of penalty killing last year instead of some other d-men, even when he was forward. He can more than handle it, and he has that mean streak in him (after playing forward) that can help him back on d. Plus Hartsburg is his coach.

Dawg's Wife wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Smith
Lee - Schubert

I'm guessing but I think if everything works out you'll see

Phillips - Volchenkov
Kuba - Schubert
Lee - Smith

Unless I'm wrong, Schubert did the bulk of penalty killing last year instead of some other d-men, even when he was forward. He can more than handle it, and he has that mean streak in him (after playing forward) that can help him back on d. Plus Hartsburg is his coach.
switch kuba and volchie.

504Heater wrote:I can't believe I was at work - and busy - so that I couldn't see this unfold. Frank...I said I'd be in the shower when this all went down.

I went scouting around for numbers when this broke (in the 5 minutes I had to myself) and I noticed a lot of the things that DW was saying. 25 minutes per game? Wow, that's a lot of minutes. I think we can reduce those to 20-22 max, but it's nice to know that he can log those kinds of minutes.

He ran the PP most of the year like DW was saying, but I'm sure he was affected by the return of Boyle and probably missed out on some point there. If he makes first unit PP here, I think he can have some fun. I doubt 35-42 points are out of the question. And that's pretty much more than Mez has ever put up. Not to mention he had 15 goals in 06/07. I like the 131 blocked shots a lot too, means he's willing to sacrifice. I love that, I really do. When I heard he could be outmuscled, one of the first things I thought I'd see was like...40 blocked shots, but this guy likes to take rubber.

As for Picard, this guy's the key to the deal IMO. He's really nasty, loves to explode through guys and has a pretty good, accurate shot. He just hasn't put it all completely together. If Hartsburg can get him humming, he's a sick number 5 D-man to go with Jason Smith, who can show him the ropes. This is the guy that all TB fans are unhappy about losing...this is a fact.

As for the 1st rounder, I love having 2 first rounders. Are you kidding me? That's spectacular. It means that Murray might let it go for a superstar rental at the deadline, or McAmmond, Nycholat and a 1st could be packaged for something now. Or we use our great scouting staff to pick 2 potential top 4, top 6 or starting goalie. That's how it's done guys...I mean, you must restock the cupboards. And if you give away a 1st, you better have another (TB, good call here). Make no mistake, this is a powerful pick.

But...if the rumours are true about Mez signing a 6 year/4 million a year package...well the shift starts to go to even or to TB. That's a great package for a young, good D-man. It's a massive risk too, but it's one I would take. And if Murray was offering 3.5 X 5, then surely he would've gone to 4 X 6. I think this deal must be more than that. Otherwise, why not sign him to a 4 X 6 and then see how he does in year one? If the terms of the package are correct, this is the thing I don't understand.

TB loses out by replacing Boyle with Mez and losing Kuba. I mean...how stupid do you have to be? Your D sucks to begin with.

Solid analysis as always Heater. The thing I didn't realize about Kuba was 6'5" 225 lbs. That is a big dude. I think we won this trade pretty clearly. I wasn't too clear abou Picard's potential but if what you say is true, to me him and Kuba are nice compensation for Meszaros who seemed to be floundering with the Sens. Not really fitting anywhere distinctively. Not worth more than Philly or Volchie. Paired with Redden for 2 years which seemed to benefit neither player.

Granted, Meszaros has the potential to be a top 2 guy and it could bite us but right now he was asking to be our highest paid defenceman and that wasn't going to happen. When Murray said he couldn't use the practise facility, it was over....

good deal Murray I believe... once again.

Puking2

EDIT: I just noticed the monkey is here. I love the monkey. Hi Buddy...

Maple Leafs squirrel HAHAHAHAHA

MurderOnIce wrote:
504Heater wrote:I can't believe I was at work - and busy - so that I couldn't see this unfold. Frank...I said I'd be in the shower when this all went down.

Solid analysis as always Heater. The thing I didn't realize about Kuba was 6'5" 225 lbs. That is a big dude. I think we won this trade pretty clearly. I wasn't too clear abou Picard's potential but if what you say is true, to me him and Kuba are nice compensation for Meszaros who seemed to be floundering with the Sens. Not really fitting anywhere distinctively. Not worth more than Philly or Volchie. Paired with Redden for 2 years which seemed to benefit neither player.

Granted, Meszaros has the potential to be a top 2 guy and it could bite us but right now he was asking to be our highest paid defenceman and that wasn't going to happen. When Murray said he couldn't use the practise facility, it was over....

good deal Murray I believe... once again.

Puking2

EDIT: I just noticed the monkey is here. I love the monkey. Hi Buddy...

Maple Leafs squirrel HAHAHAHAHA
its a squirrel apparently

towelie112

towelie112
Rookie
Rookie

Wow i'm new here and i gotta say i'm impressed with the level of analysis on a trade that happened not to long ago! I just found out about the trade myself and got all the info i need right here! Well my 2 cents on this, is that it's proof that florida breeds insanity in its gms! We got a steal on this one! Kuba can easely replace Mez in the imediate future and Picard he's going to be a great d-man in the near future if not this year, The pick well i wish it was tampa's cause chances of San Jose tanking are slim to none but a 1rst round pick is still a 1rst round pick!

With Picard i think the lines are gonna look like this:
Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard
And Schubert will move to the wing with some solid Power Play Time and our 7th D-man

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Man Murder, I get the impression that Picard was like Schubert to TB fans. They liked him a lot and were pretty excited to see him this season.

I hope it's all good. I think he has a chance to play (in Bingo).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

towelie112 wrote:Wow i'm new here and i gotta say i'm impressed with the level of analysis on a trade that happened not to long ago! I just found out about the trade myself and got all the info i need right here! Well my 2 cents on this, is that it's proof that florida breeds insanity in its gms! We got a steal on this one! Kuba can easely replace Mez in the imediate future and Picard he's going to be a great d-man in the near future if not this year, The pick well i wish it was tampa's cause chances of San Jose tanking are slim to none but a 1rst round pick is still a 1rst round pick!

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard
And Schubert will move to the wing with some solid Power Play Time and our 7th D-man

San Jose's due for an implosion. Wink

504Heater wrote:
towelie112 wrote:Wow i'm new here and i gotta say i'm impressed with the level of analysis on a trade that happened not to long ago! I just found out about the trade myself and got all the info i need right here! Well my 2 cents on this, is that it's proof that florida breeds insanity in its gms! We got a steal on this one! Kuba can easely replace Mez in the imediate future and Picard he's going to be a great d-man in the near future if not this year, The pick well i wish it was tampa's cause chances of San Jose tanking are slim to none but a 1rst round pick is still a 1rst round pick!

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard

they look scary good though.

i said it before and i'll say it again, i believe thornton is the most complete player in the NHL

towelie112

towelie112
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:

Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Smith
Lee-Picard

Maybe but with them getting Boyle and Blake this year and not loosing much chances aren't very high! However they do have a new coach this year so you never know!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum