GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers

+9
PTFlea
asq2
beedub
LeCaptain
PKC
Snuh
SensFan71
davetherave
shabbs
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Interesting article about Pascal Leclaire over at goaliepost.com:

http://goaliepost.com/default.php?page=articles&season=0809&id=130

2Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:03 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The usual foot-in-mouth from Pierre McGuire.

I thought Leclaire's own words said it all: "I'm not a saviour". The guy wants to win, he says he knows he has to earn the starting job.

Enough of the hype already.

3Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:09 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

well Pierre McGuire, for the good of the hockey world, will you just shut up already? sheesh, this guy is horrible. Chirp actually praised him though in Elliott's last start, saying not once did McGuire mention Elliott's lack of rebound control. What a freaking Donkey monkey McGuire is. Murray knows Leclaire is not a saviour either, we just need him to make that first save, and if there is a hockey god, our defense will have improved enough to clear the rebound away and start a rush the other way.

4Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:16 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

That's an interesting article. Puts McGuire in his place, but I really don't think you can say either way, at this point, if Leclaire will be the goalie the Sens hope they traded for, or the dud that Chris Boyle makes him out to be.

5Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:57 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Snuh wrote:That's an interesting article. Puts McGuire in his place, but I really don't think you can say either way, at this point, if Leclaire will be the goalie the Sens hope they traded for, or the dud that Chris Boyle makes him out to be.

Agreed...isn't Chris Boyle guilty of jumping the gun as well?

"The Sens have not solved their goaltending problem, they have inherited another $4M albatross to replace Martin Gerber."

Leclaire hasn't even played a game yet. How does Boyle know he won't work out? :KJK:

6Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:59 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
Snuh wrote:That's an interesting article. Puts McGuire in his place, but I really don't think you can say either way, at this point, if Leclaire will be the goalie the Sens hope they traded for, or the dud that Chris Boyle makes him out to be.

Agreed...isn't Chris Boyle guilty of jumping the gun as well?

"The Sens have not solved their goaltending problem, they have inherited another $4M albatross to replace Martin Gerber."

Leclaire hasn't even played a game yet. How does Boyle know he won't work out? :KJK:

that is pretty bold about a guy that hasn't even played a game in a Sens Jersey yet, most of us are just hoping that Leclaire is healthy enough to give us 50 starts. we know he isn't brodeur, nor do we expect him to be.

7Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:37 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't like the fact that he uses stats for a goalie who played for some VERY bad teams over those 11 seasons he used as his sample. Not to mention he pro-rated his stats according to some NHL average of goal-scoring.

Article doesn't make sense. Chris Boyle is an idiot.

8Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:01 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I don't like the fact that he uses stats for a goalie who played for some VERY bad teams over those 11 seasons he used as his sample. Not to mention he pro-rated his stats according to some NHL average of goal-scoring.

Article doesn't make sense. Chris Boyle is an idiot.

I second that. I dont like that he uses stats PERIOD. As McGuire said, how about stopping looking at stats and watch the damn game? Leclaire is skilled, super fast, positions himself well and has awesome rebound countrol. No stats in the world will change that.
I dont know what problem do people have with Mcguire. He is pretty accurate most of the time IMO.

9Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Ive said around here for a very long time, stats are for losers and contracts.

I'm not a fan of Pierre McGurie either, but dude is way off base their.

10Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:23 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Somehow, I am assuming that Bryan Murray did not pull off that trade based on the recommendations of one Pierre McGuire. I do believe he has in his employ a professional scout or two (perhaps even dare to say... a team of them) who know their scouting business a little better than McGuire who recommended to Murray to trade for him.

Come off it. McGuire likes making the occassional outlandish statement. He's a media guy. If he spoke in a dry monotone and didn't make any bold predictions, who'd watch him. How long would he last on TSN. Say the samething for Torts when he was there, or Milbury.... Calling him an Donkey monkey....for those who call him that, I am willing to make a wager that his salary is close to quadruple what you make. Who is the Donkey monkey now?

11Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:Somehow, I am assuming that Bryan Murray did not pull off that trade based on the recommendations of one Pierre McGuire. I do believe he has in his employ a professional scout or two (perhaps even dare to say... a team of them) who know their scouting business a little better than McGuire who recommended to Murray to trade for him.

Come off it. McGuire likes making the occassional outlandish statement. He's a media guy. If he spoke in a dry monotone and didn't make any bold predictions, who'd watch him. How long would he last on TSN. Say the samething for Torts when he was there, or Milbury.... Calling him an Donkey monkey....for those who call him that, I am willing to make a wager that his salary is close to quadruple what you make. Who is the Donkey monkey now?

McGuire knows a lot about hockey for sure, but he's just over the top way too often IMHO. Sure, he's making the big bucks, but so is Britney Spears, and that doesn't make her an important musical figure. It's sports media as showbiz, pure and simple, and it's really too bad.

And McGuire's buttsniffing of Milbury during the Rangers game last weekend on NBC was beyond embarassing...even Milbury was wincing.

12Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:19 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:Somehow, I am assuming that Bryan Murray did not pull off that trade based on the recommendations of one Pierre McGuire. I do believe he has in his employ a professional scout or two (perhaps even dare to say... a team of them) who know their scouting business a little better than McGuire who recommended to Murray to trade for him.

McGuire knows a lot about hockey for sure, but he's just over the top way too often IMHO. Sure, he's making the big bucks, but so is Britney Spears, and that doesn't make her an important musical figure. It's sports media as showbiz, pure and simple, and it's really too bad.

And McGuire's buttsniffing of Milbury during the Rangers game last weekend on NBC was beyond embarassing...even Milbury was wincing.

That is very typical of McGuire, he is usually brown nosing Sidney Crosby anytime they have a pens game on, he has these man crushes on people and just never stops gushing over them, was unaware he did that with Milbury, sheesh, have a bit of credibility man. you are right bee, people listen for the shock factor or who ever says the most off the wall stuff, and you are right, people love to watch that kind of stuff, otherwise, there would have been no rationale behind Jerry Springer, but that doesn't make him right or a genius of the game or anything like that. He can have his money if that is the reputation he wants.

13Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:42 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't restrict it to Crosby: I recall one game where Malkin made a pretty nice move (although guys like Kovalev, Datsyuk, Spezza etc have done it as well), and McGuire's like "Malkin's changing the parameters of the game."

Laughing3

I try to avoid or mute most games with Ovechkin, Ryan Ellis, or Phaneuf in them as well.

14Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:I wouldn't restrict it to Crosby: I recall one game where Malkin made a pretty nice move (although guys like Kovalev, Datsyuk, Spezza etc have done it as well), and McGuire's like "Malkin's changing the parameters of the game."

Laughing3

I try to avoid or mute most games with Ovechkin, Ryan Ellis, or Phaneuf in them as well.

One of the dumbest comments I've ever heard. I think he's smart enough to have said it and then winced. Scared

15Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Empty Re: Pascal Leclaire - The Numbers Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Ever noticed how many times McGuire refers to his coaching career? Like he says, "I remember when I coached (insert star here)"? or..."I remember when I was with Scotty (or Mario) in Pittsburgh"...

McGuire lives the legend in his own mind.

Just imagine, if he didn't resort to that kind of self-aggrandizing fluff, he could have become a very good commentator.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum