GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn?

+15
stempniaksen
rooneypoo
NEELY
spader
Ev
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
LethalLehner
SensFan71
wprager
Urkie
PTFlea
LeCaptain
Cronie
Riprock
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

76Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Who knows what is going to happen within the next year. If you said at the begining of last season we would have Turris and Bishop in the lineup to start this year with the cost of nothing off of the roster, I would have said you are nuts.

Fact of the matter is Ottawa's goaltending depth is unreal right now and a choice will have to be made between Anderson and Bishop in a short period of time.
I think that speaks volume about BM. the man has been put down so many times in the past about some og the trades he did after coming in as our GM but he's proving to be more then able to get in there and make some steals. I would be very interested to actually see the package that was made for Nash. we might have came up with a much higher one then was actually proposed, if you think of what they actually got back in return.

77Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:Anderson has the most value, good contract, proven, etc... might not fit in with the youth movement going forward but both Bishop and Lehner do and IMO I think it would be a little insane to get rid of either. That said if the right deal comes along with Bishop being part of it, you do it. Same with Lehner but that deal would have to be something special.

I'm weary of dealing Anderson now that we finally have a goalie we can count on. I don't think Bishop or Lehner will do enough in 1 year to convince me that we can count on them.

That's a good point. We finally have a #1 we can count on, and we're in the situation where it might make the most sense to trade him. Bishop and Lehner could be a great tandem, and Matrix is only getting older. The fact that Bishop doesn't have a contract after this season might force our hand. Trade him now, lose him for nothing, or sign him longer term, and deal Matrix or Lehner.

Lehner is THE guy for the future, of that I have no doubt...but how you deal with the other two goalies, I have no clue.
there's always a chance Anderson goes down with an injury and we ride the young ones as a duo for an extended period of time. I could see BM getting Bishop to sign an extension knowing he'd have his shot at the number one spot.

78Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:55 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
NEELY wrote:Who knows what is going to happen within the next year. If you said at the begining of last season we would have Turris and Bishop in the lineup to start this year with the cost of nothing off of the roster, I would have said you are nuts.

Fact of the matter is Ottawa's goaltending depth is unreal right now and a choice will have to be made between Anderson and Bishop in a short period of time.
I think that speaks volume about BM. the man has been put down so many times in the past about some og the trades he did after coming in as our GM but he's proving to be more then able to get in there and make some steals. I would be very interested to actually see the package that was made for Nash. we might have came up with a much higher one then was actually proposed, if you think of what they actually got back in return.

Yeah, my faith in Murray was shaken slightly a couple of years back, but he's built us up for success at every position. Maybe one more sure-fire D prospect (easier said than done).

79Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
there's always a chance Anderson goes down with an injury and we ride the young ones as a duo for an extended period of time. I could see BM getting Bishop to sign an extension knowing he'd have his shot at the number one spot.

In a way I hope that happens because they really need to assess where Bishop and Lehner are in terms of NHL readiness.

When goalies like Raycroft and Mason win Calder trophies only to fall apart the following year, I wonder how much NHL time do Bishop and/or Lehner need before the organization can comfortably hand over the reins to either of them and deal Anderson (or not resign him).

Lehner hasn yet to put together a good AHL regular season, Bishop hasn't played 1 NHL season yet but has had solid AHL seasons (most notably his last one) with Peoria in the AHL.

I think we have a ways to go before they have a proper sample size of games to judge them accordingly.

Last edited by Hoags on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

80Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah, my faith in Murray was shaken slightly a couple of years back, but he's built us up for success at every position. Maybe one more sure-fire D prospect (easier said than done).
next draft? maybe he makes some trades? we'll see where we stand at the trade deadline i imagine.

81Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

In a way I hope that happens because they really need to assess where Bishop and Lehner are in terms of NHL readiness.

When goalies like Raycroft and Mason win Calder trophies only to fall apart the following year, I wonder how much NHL time do Bishop and/or Lehner need before the organization can comfortably hand over the reins to either of them and deal Anderson (or not resign him).

Lehner hasn yet to put together a good AHL regular season, Bishop hasn't played 1 NHL season yet.

I think we have a ways to go before they have a proper sample size of games to judge them accordingly.

Biggest difference is they were not groomed into a starting role... Lehner and Bishop have both been handled pretty well by the organization(s), St.Louis deserves a lot of credit. They have/are learning their craft, not being handed anything, and are working hard for it.

There's a difference.

82Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:next draft? maybe he makes some trades? we'll see where we stand at the trade deadline i imagine.

Probably next draft, or if not that, the via trade. Mind you, I keep forgetting that we acquired Methot, so perhaps the Sens are actually set on D as well. Even the depth looks pretty darn good right now.

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Phillips - Boroweicki

Again, none of us know if Borowiecki can play the right side and it's preferable not to have Phillips there IMO, so perhaps we're on the hunt for a righty at some point - unless Wideman can fill that void.

83Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Lehner hasn yet to put together a good AHL regular season, Bishop hasn't played 1 NHL season yet but has had solid AHL seasons (most notably his last one) with Peoria in the AHL.

He hasn't put together a good regular season, but he destroyed it in the playoffs - which are much more important.

I've said this before, I think what Lehner did for this organization is nothing short of remarkable. Coming in cold, replacing Brust down 3-1 already in the series, save a penalty shot in OT to save the season, goes on to win the MVP of the playoffs. That buys him a lot of rope. The fact that he struggled last year is a great thing, it means he needs to realize that this won't be handed to him and that he can't rely on his pure talent alone. It also says a lot about the team in front of him. I HATE that excuse, but this is one of those times I think it can be applied, that team was horrid and sad.

84Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
He hasn't put together a good regular season, but he destroyed it in the playoffs - which are much more important.

It's important but it still doesn't show how he'd handle a full regular season. If you can't be a starter in the AHL how can you be one in the NHL ?

Lehner bounced back and he's in great shape so I'm sure it's fine but he clearly had some learning to do after last year.

85Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

It's important but it still doesn't show how he'd handle a full regular season. If you can't be a starter in the AHL how can you be one in the NHL ?

Lehner bounced back and he's in great shape so I'm sure it's fine but he clearly had some learning to do after last year.

Yeah, I'm happy that he gets to have a full year in the AHL - with a halfway decent team as well. He needs this final year to work on his stamina and some of his techniques. But after this year....get out of the way please Bishop.

86Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Yeah, I'm happy that he gets to have a full year in the AHL - with a halfway decent team as well. He needs this final year to work on his stamina and some of his techniques. But after this year....get out of the way please Bishop.
I think it could be great in bingo this year to have him down there. especially if there's a lockout. the swedish crew will get a chance to really gel and create some chemistry.

87Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I think it could be great in bingo this year to have him down there. especially if there's a lockout. the swedish crew will get a chance to really gel and create some chemistry.

Yeah, that Bingo team could potentially be awesome with Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Stone, Borowiecki, Cowen all going down there.

The only upside of a lockout is these kids learning NA hockey.

88Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Stone, Boro and Cowen know NA hockey already. And I'd prefer to see Silfverberg in the NHL right away. They said he was ready last year but he wanted one more go of it in the SEL, and what a year. He's ready now.

89Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Stone, Boro and Cowen know NA hockey already. And I'd prefer to see Silfverberg in the NHL right away. They said he was ready last year but he wanted one more go of it in the SEL, and what a year. He's ready now.

Stone knows nothing of pro hockey though and it really can't hurt to have Silfverberg in the AHL learning to pace of the NA pro game. I'm against a lockout as much as the next guy, but if it has to happen, I'm glad there's something good to come of it.

90Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:Stone, Boro and Cowen know NA hockey already. And I'd prefer to see Silfverberg in the NHL right away. They said he was ready last year but he wanted one more go of it in the SEL, and what a year. He's ready now.

Stone knows nothing of pro hockey though and it really can't hurt to have Silfverberg in the AHL learning to pace of the NA pro game. I'm against a lockout as much as the next guy, but if it has to happen, I'm glad there's something good to come of it.
Of anything stone is one of the guys that stands to gain just as much by playing in the AHL. He's been a very big kid playing against smaller ones mostly. Let's see how he shapes up against pro adult athletes

91Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

I'd prefer it if Alfie's last year in the league was not an asterisk with stats from Frolunda.

92Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Alfredsson wouldn't play in Sweden unless he wants to play in the second division

93Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? - Page 6 Empty Re: Sens Chirp: Vermette to DAL for Benn? Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Let's pry Jamie Benn away from Dallas. He's yet to re-sign, and we know Dallas tends to be cheap, and with Eberle and Hall singing long-term $6M deals, it would appear Benn easily could ask for $6M or more. If Dallas can't do it, it would be a huge loss, but a huge gain for another team, and I hope that it would be us.

As a Sen fan I'd only offer prospects and picks. I suppose I could live with throwing in a Greening, since everyone would move down in the depth charts as a result.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum