GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Chirp believes Cammalleri on Murray's radar.

+5
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SensFan71
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Another day, another perspective on the Chris Neil situation. In an article from Ian Mendes of Sportsnet, quotes from the agent of Chris Neil seem to indicate that the rugged winger will indeed test the free agent market. Despite what this article says I continue to hear the same thing, the two sides are very very close number wise but there is still distance to be made up between the two sides.

-Reading around various other rumours sites and Senators blogs there appears to be a consensus of sorts when it comes to the Senators interest in former Flames forward Mike Cammalleri.

I mentioned this as a possibility earlier this off season but I was told that he would serve as a replacement should the Senators move out one of their bigger contracts. Cammalleri is likely to get in the neighbourhood of 5 mil on a long term deal so if the Senators do want to take a run at him they will need to make some cap room first.

-Various outlets are reporting that ex-Ottawa goalie Ray Emery is set to make a return to the NHL. That's right, the former Senator bad boy is going to be making a return to the NHL with the Flyers. After a strong season in Russia, Emery has absolutely earned another shot in the NHL and I wish him all the best.

The Flyers are clearly rolling the dice on Rayzor but love him or hate him, there was never doubting the guys talent. If he can get his head straight he will have all kinds of success in Philly.

He is not taking credit for the rumour himself, stating he heard it from other avenues, but I only have one thing to say to this, an emphatic NO... and I imagine I am not the only one. What is everyone else's 2 cents?

God I hope not, if it is, we might light it up during the regular season, but some playoff time, it's going to be like a flash back to the Yashin days.

No heart or character at all, just another prima-donna who is looking for the big pay day. Buyer beware.

If it's a replacement for someone that gets traded though, on top of the assets we would garner for a return, then maybe. A Spezza/Camalleri combo though, just threw up a bit.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No interest at all. Plus, what's he looking for? 5+ million? No thanks. Spend the extra 2 and get J-Bo.

Something like that. Camalerri is a 2nd line player with AHL character and heart. Last thing the Sens need is a goof like him.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well if he does come it sounds like he'll be a cheaper replacement for one of Spezza or Heatley. I can't say I'd be too upset unless he truly is a poor character guy that's unable to step up.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Well if he does come it sounds like he'll be a cheaper replacement for one of Spezza or Heatley. I can't say I'd be too upset unless he truly is a poor character guy that's unable to step up.

It's true. There's no question now. His character was questioned in LA, then he couldn't step up for Calgary in the 1st round.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It might actually be a ploy to raise Cammy's price. Because everyone knows that he'll most likely end up in TO.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oh Sens Chirp! Will you ever learn!?!? DOH!

Im gonna play devils advicit here... is this like the Boston situation 3, 4 years ago...? Boston got rid of Thornton, forget the actual trade the idea was to get rid of him, and they went out and signed big Z then Savard.

After the Chara signing they went out and got a guy who needed a new start, who's character had been questioned, with a new coach coming in... is this what could happen up front to Ottawa? Food for thought.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Im gonna play devils advicit here... is this like the Boston situation 3, 4 years ago...? Boston got rid of Thornton, forget the actual trade the idea was to get rid of him, and they went out and signed big Z then Savard.

After the Chara signing they went out and got a guy who needed a new start, who's character had been questioned, with a new coach coming in... is this what could happen up front to Ottawa? Food for thought.

IF that's the way Murray is going about it, then that's another thing completely. Cammy can put up the points, but I think we're just getting a lesser version of Spezza - both in character and in skill. If it was to happen, he'd better be ready to compete night in and night out - at least Spezza's already prepping - I'd hope the same would be true if we were to investigate Cammy.

But, how much money do we stand to save? He put up excellent regular season numbers last year - so 6 million? We save 1 million? I'd still rather have Spezza any day of the week.

IF Murray can trade Spezza for someone substantial, young and ready to make an impact - like the Ballard/Horton/1st we were dreaming about, or Little and the 4th overall, or Bogosian (ha ha), then we would be getting the better end of the deal big time. If it's just a lateral move, then we're not getting better that's for sure.

One thing's for certain: Lombardi knows when to fold on a player. O'Sullivan had a terrible end to the year. Cammy left on bad terms and Lombardi wouldn't have overpaid him anyway - especially not with the young guys coming in that would look up to a questionable character. He's not really big, he doesn't really hit. He's kind of the whole anti-player that we're looking to acquire.

Again, this would seriously depend on what we're getting for Spezza. If it was something we couldn't refuse, then you make the trade and bring in someone like Cammy. If you're getting just a marginal return, I would suggest this is the dead WRONG move.

I think Spezza needs a fresh start personally, I dont think things will change in Ottawa for him, but at the same time, with Camilerri coming in, like Savard, getting bounced around the league a bit and then signing a mid term contract 4, 5 years could have a serious impact.

3 years ago, who would you have rather had? Thornton or Savard? NO BRAINER... now? I think most people would say Savard at this point. You dont need to replace every single thing Spezza brings, but a fresh face up the middle with tallent surrounding him could indeed be a good thing for the Sens.

I'm not sold on Camelerri at all, but Spezza isnt any better. Character is a non issue when comparing these two, because at this point, you would need a blood sample to actually try and find any. But signing Camelerri for 4 or 5 years, for about 5.5, IMO is a better option than Spezza with the return Spezza would garner in a trade.

That's a lot of cap space over a 4, 5 year period. 1.5 mil could go a long way. If people are going to say "Camerlerri isnt 1/2 the player Spezza is" thats BS. He might only get 70-80 points, but he will get 70-80 points.

Again, just look at the Boston situation and the Sens having 3 draft picks in the 1st two round already, 2, 3 years from now the Sens could be rolling when all is said and done.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will say this: something's happening.

It may or may not be Spezza, but for sure Murray, Dorion and Forsberg found someone late in the first that they want badly, so they'll get that pick I would imagine. I'm not sure how - or who they'll move to get it, but if his scouts are saying that someone in that area is worth getting big time, then someone's leaving.

Chris Kelly? I doubt pretty highly that garners a late 1st. Brian Lee? Maybe. Brian Lee/Picard and Chris Kelly...well maybe we're getting somewhere.

I hope Campoli was worth it - I personally think he is - but it's gonna cause an issue now that we want that pick back so badly.

I didnt know that about the late first... Could it be Tim Exiron? Ferrao? Holland? Who knows..

If The Sens can add and to their current lineup by trading Spezza for w/e, and replace him with Camelleri, I think it's a good move. Adding both of those guys together would be a disaster though.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:I think Spezza needs a fresh start personally, I dont think things will change in Ottawa for him, but at the same time, with Camilerri coming in, like Savard, getting bounced around the league a bit and then signing a mid term contract 4, 5 years could have a serious impact.

3 years ago, who would you have rather had? Thornton or Savard? NO BRAINER... now? I think most people would say Savard at this point. You dont need to replace every single thing Spezza brings, but a fresh face up the middle with tallent surrounding him could indeed be a good thing for the Sens.

I'm not sold on Camelerri at all, but Spezza isnt any better. Character is a non issue when comparing these two, because at this point, you would need a blood sample to actually try and find any. But signing Camelerri for 4 or 5 years, for about 5.5, IMO is a better option than Spezza with the return Spezza would garner in a trade.

That's a lot of cap space over a 4, 5 year period. 1.5 mil could go a long way. If people are going to say "Camerlerri isnt 1/2 the player Spezza is" thats BS. He might only get 70-80 points, but he will get 70-80 points.

Again, just look at the Boston situation and the Sens having 3 draft picks in the 1st two round already, 2, 3 years from now the Sens could be rolling when all is said and done.
Well, I have to agree with you on the Cammalerri thing.

I rememeber calling into the Team 1200 back when Savard was a free agent, as they asked a question who the Sens should pick up. I said Savard and they laughed at me.

He was affordable then and imagine we had Savard and Spezza for the Cup run?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum