GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens - 3:00pm ET - Feb. 21st, 2009

+15
top shelf15
LethalLehner
The Silfer Server
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
davetherave
LeCaptain
SensFan71
smash88
asq2
wprager
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:

The Sens really need this game if they want to seriously make a run at the playoffs. Also, dealing the Habs another blow would be a cherry on top :D

Honestly, I don't really care that much about a playoff spot now. I just want them to beat the Habs, Leafs and Sabres the rest of the way and get ready for next year. With depth at forward we could actually reduce the top line's playing time (especially Alfie -- he plays in every situation) and not risk injuries due to fatigue.

Imagine a top line where all three can score 30 (and Heatley with a legitimate shot at 50), a second line with all three in the 20-25 range (with stretch goal of 30 for Fisher, if healthy), and a third line with two guys capable of 15 each (Foligno and Shannon) and another 5-10 from someone like Wichester. An energy fourth line of Donovan, Ruutu, Bass will chip in the occasional goal as well. An improved D (offensivley and defensively) and Elliott/Auld in goal.

asq2 wrote:Spezza on the Montreal situation:
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Colu...1/8472561.html

"So you have to give those guys a little bit of the benefit of the doubt, because when stuff starts getting talked about, it always spreads, and you always hear more names that are involved that aren't really involved, and it becomes a big problem.
"I think just because nobody knows how much is true, or how much isn't," said Spezza. "Usually a lot of it is not exactly as accurate as is initially reported. But people sometimes don't hear the rebuttals, so it will be tough for those guys."

If you have the Citizen, you'll also see an article where Spezza says that Clouston made the right move by benching him, and that he has to be better.

Does he ever get pissed off? Seriously, I'm not trying to harp on this, but he shouldnt be spitting out cliches ALL THE TIME. He can say what he wants, mad, sad, happy, or w/e, we'll see how he plays on the ice. With Alfi out its put up or shut up time with Spezza.

I hope Alfi is out a while just so we can see what we can expect from Spezza without the support of maybe the best all around winger in the game.

Last edited by Neely4Life on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:whoo hockey day in canada is finally here, and to top it off, Hilary Duff and Carrie Underwood in the press box, now that is a sexy thought yowza baby.

We should trade for Henrik Zetterberg as well. :D

Not sure. Two's company. Three could be a cat fight. Umm, OK, I think I just convinced myself.

P.S. I don't know why both Duff and Underwood would be in the press box today. Underwood has a career going, although it looks like she finished a tour in early February and I can't find any dates other than a March 8 gig in Nashville. So she's either in studio (there's some nice recording studios in and around Montreal -- John Lennon had built one up in the Laurentians, IIRC) or free. Duff, I don't really know what she does any more.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:

"So you have to give those guys a little bit of the benefit of the doubt, because when stuff starts getting talked about, it always spreads, and you always hear more names that are involved that aren't really involved, and it becomes a big problem.
"I think just because nobody knows how much is true, or how much isn't," said Spezza. "Usually a lot of it is not exactly as accurate as is initially reported. But people sometimes don't hear the rebuttals, so it will be tough for those guys."

If you have the Citizen, you'll also see an article where Spezza says that Clouston made the right move by benching him, and that he has to be better.

Does he ever get pissed off? Seriously, I'm not trying to harp on this, but he shouldnt be spitting out cliches ALL THE TIME. He can say what he wants, made, sad, happy, or w/e, we'll see how he plays on the ice. With Alfi out its put up or shut up time with Spezza.

I hope Alfi is out a while just so we can see what we can expect from Spezza without the support of maybe the best all around winger in the game.

How does this have anything to do with his playing? They stick a microphone in his face and ask a question. I guess he could say "no comment" but he's not Heatley. He actually nurtures his endorsements career by speaking to media. What did he say that was in any way wrong? He's basically saying (rather politely, I might add) that the media tend to blow things out of proportion and people's names get thrown in that never should be mentioned. What is it in that story that he should get pissed about? Or did you expect him to say "You f^*&g newspaper types are always getting hot and heavy to throw someone under the bus to sell some damned rags that are mistakenly viewed as newspapers."

wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Does he ever get pissed off? Seriously, I'm not trying to harp on this, but he shouldnt be spitting out cliches ALL THE TIME. He can say what he wants, made, sad, happy, or w/e, we'll see how he plays on the ice. With Alfi out its put up or shut up time with Spezza.

How does this have anything to do with his playing? They stick a microphone in his face and ask a question. I guess he could say "no comment" but he's not Heatley. He actually nurtures his endorsements career by speaking to media. What did he say that was in any way wrong? He's basically saying (rather politely, I might add) that the media tend to blow things out of proportion and people's names get thrown in that never should be mentioned. What is it in that story that he should get pissed about? Or did you expect him to say "You f^*&g newspaper types are always getting hot and heavy to throw someone under the bus to sell some damned rags that are mistakenly viewed as newspapers."

I ment about the benching. If he actually agree's with being benched, there is something wrong there. Why would any player admit that he deserved to be benched! That IMO is the whole problem with Spezza, the losers attitude.

When you are talking about the media in an interview, you def watch your tounge, I'll give him that.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Does he ever get pissed off? Seriously, I'm not trying to harp on this, but he shouldnt be spitting out cliches ALL THE TIME. He can say what he wants, mad, sad, happy, or w/e, we'll see how he plays on the ice. With Alfi out its put up or shut up time with Spezza.

Give him a break, man.

What should he have said? "No comment," and every fan and media guy in Ottawa starts wildly speculating that there's a rift between him and Clouston. "Clouston is a ****ing tool, he made the wrong decision" would also have the same effect.

I agree that Spezza has to be better on the ice (and he agrees) but recognize that when you start criticizing him over stuff like this, people have good reason to call your Spezza hatred irrational.

The guy ALWAYS has that attitude. It shouldnt be "yeah, the coach was right and I sucked, I'll try and be better" Thats the easy answer, much the the way Spezza plays, he takes the easy way out.

The answer should be, while staying politically correct, "I don't think I should be benched because I'm trying my hardest out there, but the coach has a tough job and he has to do what he has to, to make the team play and try and get the win. I have to be better and I will be next game."

If you are agreeing you are playing like trash with no effort, there is something seriously wrong.

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Does he ever get pissed off? Seriously, I'm not trying to harp on this, but he shouldnt be spitting out cliches ALL THE TIME. He can say what he wants, mad, sad, happy, or w/e, we'll see how he plays on the ice. With Alfi out its put up or shut up time with Spezza.

Give him a break, man.

What should he have said? "No comment," and every fan and media guy in Ottawa starts wildly speculating that there's a rift between him and Clouston. "Clouston is a ****ing tool, he made the wrong decision" would also have the same effect.

I agree that Spezza has to be better on the ice (and he agrees) but recognize that when you start criticizing him over stuff like this, people have good reason to call your Spezza hatred irrational.

I ripped into Heatley too when he made his comments. There were different in the sense he basically called out the coach on his assestment of him when he was playing like crap. Heatley has actually really turned it around since then, been playing solid hockey.

You dont have to be politicaly incorrect to be pissed off, I saw the interview, its always the same thing from him. He just shrugs the shoulders and says "oh well". He isnt getting paid 7 million a year to just put up points (which he isnt even doing anymore), he should be becoming a leader, a hard worker, and better all around player.

This game today is basically about 2 things. 1, how Spezza is going to react, 2, how the new guys look with their new team.

If the Sens lose this game they are basically out of the race for good, you cant lose to the teams you are chasing when you are that far out. They have to win.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:whoo hockey day in canada is finally here, and to top it off, Hilary Duff and Carrie Underwood in the press box, now that is a sexy thought yowza baby.

We should trade for Henrik Zetterberg as well. :D

Id rather have Dion Phaneuf I love you

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I must admit I got a little lost. Phaneuf has Avery's sloppy seconds, but who does Zetterberg have? I think she's a super-model or some such. If that's the case, then yes, get Phaneuf. A nice Canadian girl dear to my kids hearts (they still remember PMK with fondness).

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:OK, I must admit I got a little lost. Phaneuf has Avery's sloppy seconds, but who does Zetterberg have? I think she's a super-model or some such. If that's the case, then yes, get Phaneuf. A nice Canadian girl dear to my kids hearts (they still remember PMK with fondness).

Forgot about Phaneuf

Here's a pic of Zetterberg's wife.

http://www.zetterbergfan.com/images/Img229.jpg

Probably wouldn't open that up while at work.

I hear what you're saying about Spezza, Neely...I thought much the same thing when I read the paper today. The sub-header says "Benching no big deal, player, coach say." I read that and was like "are you Diddle serious? Its always that same shrugs-his-shoulders attitude..." but then I read through the article and he said a lot of the right things. He did say that he needs to be better and that he will be better...
Neely4Life wrote:This game today is basically about 2 things. 1, how Spezza is going to react, 2, how the new guys look with their new team.

If the Sens lose this game they are basically out of the race for good, you cant lose to the teams you are chasing when you are that far out. They have to win.
Agreed. This game is all about two "stars". One of Kovalev or Spezza will play an integral role in their teams win. I expect each player to be a significant presence in the game, but only one will leave a hero.

Thank you! Im glad someone else see's it too! In the long run though, Spezza can say he slept with Murray's wife for all I care, its what happens on the ice that matters, his interviews are just a microcosim of he general attitude on the ice and towards that game.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Citizen title is:

"I will be better," Spezza says.

N4L title

"shut up and do it"

I think the Sens need a good line brawl, we have not had one of those in a long time.

asq2 wrote:The Citizen title is:

"I will be better," Spezza says.
Imagine reading that first and thinking "alright thats what I want to hear!" and then reading "benching no big deal, player says" which is what I initially read...

Are you telling me that wouldn't bother you if you've seen a history of the same doesn't-care attitude from that player?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum