GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens - 3:00pm ET - Feb. 21st, 2009

+15
top shelf15
LethalLehner
The Silfer Server
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
davetherave
LeCaptain
SensFan71
smash88
asq2
wprager
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 15]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

ASQ, I am truly sorry to hear you say that...

Especially when Alfredsson comes to play, fractured jaw notwithstanding. Alfie never gives less than his best, no matter what's broken, battered and bruised. That was a brave performance of his today.

They also missed Chris Neil IMHO.

But as you say, on to the next game.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:ASQ, I am truly sorry to hear you say that...

Especially when Alfredsson comes to play, fractured jaw notwithstanding. Alfie never gives less than his best, no matter what's broken, battered and bruised. That was a brave performance of his today.

Alfredsson's return certainly was inspiring, but I've accepted the fact that this team has simply dug itself too deep a hole.

In addition, the Canadiens were on their game today, and when they are on their game they are better than the Sens.

Alfie playing bruised and battered is admirable. The problem is that this team just doesn't have enough Alfie's to be a true contender.

To paraphrase Neely: There are so many players on this team that I want to see gone...

And as asq said: Its over. Too bad...they just don't have what it takes...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Frankly, when I heard Alfie was playing (I was in the car) I swore under my breath a bit. First, I was afraid of him getting injured. Second, I was afraid that the team might go the "Oh, good, Alfie's playing; no need to worry" route. Which they did.

I was a little diappointed with Clouston playing Picard (and Kuba) after what everyone was saying from the Vancouver game. Why not play Bell?

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:ASQ, when you let the opponent get four goals before you score one on your way to a 'four-point' loss, that is not the kind of 'desperate hockey' needed to make up a double digit point gap between your team's current position and a playoff spot.

As a Sens fan, do you find "not playing all that poorly" acceptable?

I would be surprised if Coach Clouston finds it acceptable.

No, the poor starts are disappointing.

But it's not like they never showed up.

ASQ, my point is simply that the Senators need to play their best hockey every single game from here to the end of the season...if they want to have any hope of making the playoffs.

'Showing up' doesn't cut it.

If this is their best hockey, then it's over.

I expect this game was a big disappointment for all of the extremely loyal Senators fans.

I don't think anybody should have seriously expected us to contend for the playoffs.

The team just isn't good enough.

It is over, and it has been over for a long time IMO.

What??? Are you suggesting this team isn't going to go 20-4 over the last two dozen?

Today's game was the proverbial final nail in the coffin I'd say.

I was sleeping...how did the new guys look? Campoli picked up a couple helpers I see.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Campoli was OK. I wouldn't say he was the best player on the ice (like N4L said). Picard was awful again. Did Vermette play? Comrie was hustling. Almost had a goal a few times. Just like this season, the bad start did them in.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Campoli was OK. I wouldn't say he was the best player on the ice (like N4L said). Picard was awful again. Did Vermette play? Comrie was hustling. Almost had a goal a few times. Just like this season, the bad start did them in.

By Picard, do you mean Lee??? Because Picard wasn't dressed.

asq2 wrote:
I don't think anybody should have seriously expected us to contend for the playoffs.

I think no team is good enough, the task was improbable last week and virtually impossible after the last two losses.

That said this club has a lot of the peices. Goaltending is a bit scary lately and slow starts are killing them...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bass Destruction wrote:
wprager wrote:Campoli was OK. I wouldn't say he was the best player on the ice (like N4L said). Picard was awful again. Did Vermette play? Comrie was hustling. Almost had a goal a few times. Just like this season, the bad start did them in.

I actually meant Kuba, sorry. But I could have sworn Dave and Gord mentioned Picard's name when they were doing the lineups.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

I actually meant Kuba, sorry. But I could have sworn Dave and Gord mentioned Picard's name when they were doing the lineups.

Very possible, they aren't the most competent duo... But you are right about Kuba, he was painful. Also about Vermette, he had the worst game i've seen from him in a long time.

I can't wait until Kuba is gone.
MurderOnIce wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I think no team is good enough, the task was improbable last week and virtually impossible after the last two losses.

That said this club has a lot of the peices. Goaltending is a bit scary lately and slow starts are killing them...
Elliott is proving, every game now, that he isn't NHL ready. Yes N4L I know the team left him out to dry on most of the goals, but he was out of position a lot and his confidence is outdoubtedly shaken. A solid summer of working out should do wonders for him.

Bass Destruction wrote:
wprager wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

Very possible, they aren't the most competent duo... But you are right about Kuba, he was painful. Also about Vermette, he had the worst game i've seen from him in a long time.

The radio may have been bad but holy Bob Cole!! He was prime.

Here are a coupla quotes...

The Leafs cross the... ummm are playing tonight as part
of Hockey Day in Canada....

It is great to have Sunday afternoon Hockey... umm is what a guy said to me. We all know this is Saturday....

Senility is creeping in although I will say he didn't use too many... "The Ottawa player passes it to the Ottawa Player right in front of the Sens goaltender..."

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

cash wrote:I can't wait until Kuba is gone.
MurderOnIce wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Elliott is proving, every game now, that he isn't NHL ready. Yes N4L I know the team left him out to dry on most of the goals, but he was out of position a lot and his confidence is outdoubtedly shaken. A solid summer of working out should do wonders for him.

I don't exactly disagree, but ...

I think he is NHL ready, but he's still got a lot to learn. Is he playing any worse than Price? Or does Price have a much better defence in front (and a better backup pushing him from behind).

wprager wrote:
cash wrote:I can't wait until Kuba is gone.
MurderOnIce wrote:
asq2 wrote:

I don't exactly disagree, but ...

I think he is NHL ready, but he's still got a lot to learn. Is he playing any worse than Price? Or does Price have a much better defence in front (and a better backup pushing him from behind).

I think he would benefit from playing backup to a very good goaltender and learn from a professional.

I still think Eli Wilson is crap. He has done nothing with Elliot to change my mind.

EDIT: I got ripped before for dumping on Eli Wilson but at the Sens coaching clinic he was crap. Nothing insightful. Ask anyone who was there. He was just plain not good.

Last edited by MurderOnIce on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Elliott is NHL ready for sure, I have no doubt, but pulling him to get the team going is going to kill his confidence eventually. If thats the only tatic Clouston has to get his team going, send him back down and bring Gerber in. Elliott is here to play, thats it, good or bad. If he gets lit up, he gets lit up, but lets stop singling the goalie out just because Clouston's team isnt ready to play.

4 of the last 5 this team has come out extremely slow out of the gate. Thats on Clouston, and if he cant change that, and 3 other coaches couldnt change that, change the players.

If they want to send Elliott down, thats fine, but there is nothing for him to learn in the AHL. Giving teams 3 goal leads every game because your team isnt ready to play reflects badly apon everyone in that organization. But hey, we got 47 shots that didnt matter. Heatley and Spezza, 2 points each, congrats! At least your stats look better at the end of the day then your goalies.

Neely4Life wrote:Elliott is NHL ready for sure, I have no doubt, but pulling him to get the team going is going to kill his confidence eventually. If thats the only tatic Clouston has to get his team going, send him back down and bring Gerber in. Elliott is here to play, thats it, good or bad. If he gets lit up, he gets lit up, but lets stop singling the goalie out just because Clouston's team isnt ready to play.

4 of the last 5 this team has come out extremely slow out of the gate. Thats on Clouston, and if he cant change that, and 3 other coaches couldnt change that, change the players.

If they want to send Elliott down, thats fine, but there is nothing for him to learn in the AHL. Giving teams 3 goal leads every game because your team isnt ready to play reflects badly apon everyone in that organization. But hey, we got 47 shots that didnt matter. Heatley and Spezza, 2 points each, congrats! At least your stats look better at the end of the day then your goalies.

2000th post congrats. But I am not sure that I agree 100%. I think he is NHL ready but he is not NHL starting goalie ready IMO. He could use some time learning the shooters, getting some experience with the club and in a perfect world, learning from a high quality number one. We just don't seem to have that luxury though...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tank Nation rejoice. Sens lose, Leafs are winning. Buffalo is pulling away, leading 3-0 against the Rangers, who face Toronto tomorrow (two tired teams, I smell a 3-point game). Maybe Boston will have their hands full with Florida tonight and be tired enough to give away at least one point to Tampa Bay tomorrow.

I'm still not part of Tank Nation, but I've reconciled myself with what looks to be the inevitable. First year without Redden is their first year out of the playoffs. Darn it, I wish they missed last year.

wprager wrote:Tank Nation rejoice. Sens lose, Leafs are winning. Buffalo is pulling away, leading 3-0 against the Rangers, who face Toronto tomorrow (two tired teams, I smell a 3-point game). Maybe Boston will have their hands full with Florida tonight and be tired enough to give away at least one point to Tampa Bay tomorrow.

I'm still not part of Tank Nation, but I've reconciled myself with what looks to be the inevitable. First year without Redden is their first year out of the playoffs. Darn it, I wish they missed last year.

You are not suggesting there is a corelation between the two?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum