GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:00pm Oct. 25th, 2008

+14
Cronie
Number Twenty Nine
The Silfer Server
dennycrane
asq2
PKC
TheAvatar
PTFlea
LethalLehner
Sens4thecup
Riprock
mattshock
wprager
shabbs
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jeff Glass saved 32 shots, but the Bingo Sens lost 3-2. Bell scored his 2nd of the year from Hennesy and Shannon.

Glass is a lot better than I had given him credit for, he's a really solid tender.

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

I think you're pretty safe dude!

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How close did I come to throwing something out the window on the 3rd goal...pretty close I believe.

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

504Heater wrote:How close did I come to throwing something out the window on the 3rd goal...pretty close I believe.

Well here is hoping that they get their Dung together by Monday. I need to put this Toronto win behind me. :x

504Heater wrote:Jeff Glass saved 32 shots, but the Bingo Sens lost 3-2. Bell scored his 2nd of the year from Hennesy and Shannon.

Glass is a lot better than I had given him credit for, he's a really solid tender.

All the more reason to waive Gerber and bring Elliot up full time. If noone claims Gerber (I suspect he'd get picked up on reentry waivers), he can go down and platoon with Glass.

Elliot would get more starts in Ottawa, than if we had a real starter. This could be a good thing, breaking him in easier.

This is of course assuming that noone wants to trade for Gerber, which seems more unlikely by the day.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I listened to the game tonight on 1200.

First point, Auld...35 saves!? Good god, he's a stud rigtht now. No matter how good you are, when you are facing close to 40 shots, and they're quality shots, he is going to let a few in. Someone buy him a beer. I agree with a point in this thread, it could have easily been 5 or 6-2, if not for him.

4th line. They actually have it right. They are busting hump, because Harstburg is content to sit one of them consistantly, while giving the money players their coveted ice time, so they truly have to battle to be noticed. And they are.

The way I see it, a team builds towards a Cup. Ottawa had their opportunity two years ago, and came up a step short. At that time, their momentum was there, Emery was hot and they were destined to go to the finals.

AS a fan of this team, i would support a partial dismantling of this team. I certainly don't believe that the whole team needs to be blown up, and via trades and free agency, a team can be rebuilt fairly quickly.

As to who should be moved, waived, demoted, pssshh, who knows. You have to move good assets to get a good return. Alfredsson, Heatly, they need to stay. Phillips, Volchenkov, nope, not them either. Other than that...........

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Auld's performance tonight was similar to Gerber's of two weeks ago, except it was against Detroit. Another similarity is a late third goal that seemed to be a backbreaker.

There is NO way I want a goalie of the future playing behind as horrible an NHL team as the Sens are right now. If this is clearly not the Sens year, we will see Elliot in January so that we can see what he can do.

My bold prediction: Gerber is loaned to a European team if he doesn't turn it around. This clears up cap space, brings up Elliot, and Murray can spend. I'm sure Murray has already been exploring this.

dennycrane wrote:Auld's performance tonight was similar to Gerber's of two weeks ago, except it was against Detroit. Another similarity is a late third goal that seemed to be a backbreaker.

There is NO way I want a goalie of the future playing behind as horrible an NHL team as the Sens are right now. If this is clearly not the Sens year, we will see Elliot in January so that we can see what he can do.

My bold prediction: Gerber is loaned to a European team if he doesn't turn it around. This clears up cap space, brings up Elliot, and Murray can spend. I'm sure Murray has already been exploring this.

Hmm, I've never thought of this. Can a player be loaned to another league? I guess that means we still own his NHL rights, but are off the hook for the salary? Does the CBA allow for this?

Last edited by hemlock34 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Right now I wouldn't be that upset to see anyone go via Trade. (Except Alfie.) But who do you make an example of when the majority of the team has a piss poor effort?

115GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 7:00pm Oct. 25th, 2008 - Page 8 Empty close to 20% on the draw Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Surprised no-one has mentioned it yet -- the Leafs were 78% (at one time, in the third) on the draw. One of the biggest reasons it was that one-sided. The Sens are (always have been) a puck-possession team. They don't force a lot of turnovers.

One of Spezza's worst games in a while. He was horrible at face offs, that little dipsy doodle (is it really difficult to cross the line first?) and the blind pass. But he's been playing a lot better since the OT turnover, so it's unfair to unload on him now.

Fisher did absolutely nothing except lose a few collisions and more than a few draws.

If we had any skill on the fourth line they would have scored 4 tonight. Was the Leafs checking line that much better than their 4th line?

Auld stopped a lot of rubber but he was weak on the second (or was it the third?)

That hi check Volchenkov threw shouldn't have been a penalty. No way.

That one-handed push from Smith was not a cross check. Check the tapes -- it was one hand.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Volchenkov and Phillips aren't playing well. Phillips may be nursing an injury. Whatever the reason, why not take this opportunity to split them up and make sure we have a puck moving D-man in every pairing.

Keep the Pizza line together, but don't play them more than 12 minutes 5 on 5. Let the 4th line pick up an extra 2-3 minutes and double up the Pizza guys' PP time (rotate them through a point position if necessary).

Get Picard some "Defensive Zone Coverage for Dummies". Make him play each second game, and read one chapter on his off-nights.

Play Schubert like last year. 4th line and D fill-in. Or trade him. I really don't care.

Trade Vermette while Gainey is still giddy about the Habs' centennial.

wprager wrote:Volchenkov and Phillips aren't playing well. Phillips may be nursing an injury. Whatever the reason, why not take this opportunity to split them up and make sure we have a puck moving D-man in every pairing.

Keep the Pizza line together, but don't play them more than 12 minutes 5 on 5. Let the 4th line pick up an extra 2-3 minutes and double up the Pizza guys' PP time (rotate them through a point position if necessary).

Get Picard some "Defensive Zone Coverage for Dummies". Make him play each second game, and read one chapter on his off-nights.

Play Schubert like last year. 4th line and D fill-in. Or trade him. I really don't care.

Trade Vermette while Gainey is still giddy about the Habs' centennial.

100% accurate, and quite humorous.

wprager wrote:Surprised no-one has mentioned it yet -- the Leafs were 78% (at one time, in the third) on the draw. One of the biggest reasons it was that one-sided. The Sens are (always have been) a puck-possession team. They don't force a lot of turnovers.

One of Spezza's worst games in a while. He was horrible at face offs, that little dipsy doodle (is it really difficult to cross the line first?) and the blind pass. But he's been playing a lot better since the OT turnover, so it's unfair to unload on him now.

Fisher did absolutely nothing except lose a few collisions and more than a few draws.

If we had any skill on the fourth line they would have scored 4 tonight. Was the Leafs checking line that much better than their 4th line?

Auld stopped a lot of rubber but he was weak on the second (or was it the third?)

That hi check Volchenkov threw shouldn't have been a penalty. No way.

That one-handed push from Smith was not a cross check. Check the tapes -- it was one hand.

I don't wtf is up with Fisher, but you're right, his game is in the toilet right now. Likewise for Vermette. I like Winchester's hustle and work along the boards. I can't remember which player it was (77, I think) that came in to check Winchester along the boards and Winchester turned into him and dropped him like third period french. Awesome! I'd like a little more offence, but I like where his game is at now.

bluewhiteandgolf

bluewhiteandgolf
Prospect
Prospect

heatley?????wtf
i dont think there is a player on our team playing worse than heater!
at least fisher can play some defense. Heater needs to step up and show some leadership. Phillips has to be hurt-anyone want to take bets that it's more than a bruise.
we're screwed this year, this is the first game against toronto that i made plans to NOT watch the game, and this is the leafs that are supposed to be in last place. Well, we might win the battle of Ontario this year-1st pick here we come.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:Auld's performance tonight was similar to Gerber's of two weeks ago, except it was against Detroit. Another similarity is a late third goal that seemed to be a backbreaker.

Can you do that?

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Don't forget Brad Isbister. I think Gerber would have to clear waivers, but it could be worked out. I don't know how it relates as far as paying salary, but once a player clears waivers and is sent down, the salary doesn't count against the cap.

Here is the Ian Mendes article:
Brad Isbister's time with the Ottawa Senators organization has come to an end. The veteran forward did not report to the Binghamton Senators, despite being assigned to the AHL farm club last week.

Isbister remains under contract with the Senators, but the NHL club will loan him to a European club for the rest of the season if his agent can work out a deal.

If Isbister fails to land a job elsewhere, the Senators will likely suspend him.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Having said that, I think Gerber will turn it around and play pretty well. As the team improves in front of him, his play will improve.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:Don't forget Brad Isbister. I think Gerber would have to clear waivers, but it could be worked out. I don't know how it relates as far as paying salary, but once a player clears waivers and is sent down, the salary doesn't count against the cap.

Here is the Ian Mendes article:
Brad Isbister's time with the Ottawa Senators organization has come to an end. The veteran forward did not report to the Binghamton Senators, despite being assigned to the AHL farm club last week.

Isbister remains under contract with the Senators, but the NHL club will loan him to a European club for the rest of the season if his agent can work out a deal.

If Isbister fails to land a job elsewhere, the Senators will likely suspend him.

If he is loaned out then the european team needs to pay his salary. Basically Ottawa gives another team to sign him if they pay his salary here. I think thats how it works here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum