GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+4
wprager
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 37 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Just be thankful the standings don't matter much to the Sens this season.  Total Dung show.

They are gonna start mattering very soon.

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Just be thankful the standings don't matter much to the Sens this season.  Total Dung show.

They are gonna start mattering very soon.

Let's hope so!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Pettersson in Covid Protocol just in time for the Sens' visit. Boeser is eligible to return.

McDavid also placed in the Protocol after testing positive on Tuesday, but with the new rules he only needs to self-isolate 5 days, so unless his symptoms persist or he can't "pass" a PCR test the Sens will be facing a well-rested McDavid on Monday.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Sens are reportedly interested in Kuzmenko. Former teammate of Zub. What an injection of offense if we can add him. It would make a Colin White buyout that much more feasible and could add some depth scoring.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Throw Giroux and a top 5 pick in the mix and I think we have something

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I wonder if there's a scenario where the Oilers acquire Matt Murray. It would have to involve Ottawa retaining cap/salary, as well as probably taking on Koskinen. For Ottawa it would be cheaper than buying out Murray (let's say 50% of his salary vs 67% via buyout) and at a 50% cap hit it doesn't really hurt the Oilers so it could be worth it for them.

To Ottawa: Koskinen, Turris (taxi squad)
To Edmonton: Murray (50% cap/salary retained)

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I wonder if there's a scenario where the Oilers acquire Matt Murray. It would have to involve Ottawa retaining cap/salary, as well as probably taking on Koskinen. For Ottawa it would be cheaper than buying out Murray (let's say 50% of his salary vs 67% via buyout) and at a 50% cap hit it doesn't really hurt the Oilers so it could be worth it for them.

Edmonton would be stupid to do that

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I wonder if there's a scenario where the Oilers acquire Matt Murray. It would have to involve Ottawa retaining cap/salary, as well as probably taking on Koskinen. For Ottawa it would be cheaper than buying out Murray (let's say 50% of his salary vs 67% via buyout) and at a 50% cap hit it doesn't really hurt the Oilers so it could be worth it for them.

Both Turris and Koskinen are UFAs and it's clear Koskinen's relationship with Tippett is ruined. The Oilers have Skinner in their system but aside from that have no depth. Mike Smith will be 40 next year and is oft-injured, and Stalock is a UFA after this year as well. To take a chance on Murray at half the cost while giving up virtually nothing isn't "stupid". At 50% he's well below the average cost per starter and perhaps given a change of scenery and better team he can rebound.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Really busy next couple of weeks and months ahead with trade deadline and the off-season quickly approaching. What do the Sens do with their roster?

UFA:
- Paul
- Tierney
- Ennis
- Holden
- J. Brown
- Sanford
- Forsberg

RFA:
- Gambrell
- Gaudette
- Norris
- Bishop
- Formenton
- Mete
- Brannstrom

On the Roster (for now):
- Del Zotto
- Murray
- White

I'm looking at next year's roster as:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
XXXXX-Stutzle-XXXXXX
Formenton-Pinto-C.Brown
Kelly-XXXXXX-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Zaitsev
XXXXXX-Thomson

XXXXXX
Gustavsson

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Throw Giroux and a top 5 pick in the mix and I think we have something

I still think defense is our #1 issue. Maybe that solution comes internally. Time will tell.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Are we ever going to play a game again?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Both Turris and Koskinen are UFAs and it's clear Koskinen's relationship with Tippett is ruined. The Oilers have Skinner in their system but aside from that have no depth. Mike Smith will be 40 next year and is oft-injured, and Stalock is a UFA after this year as well. To take a chance on Murray at half the cost while giving up virtually nothing isn't "stupid". At 50% he's well below the average cost per starter and perhaps given a change of scenery and better team he can rebound.

It’s a “cross your fingers and hope Dung sticks to a wall” solution. The oilers are done with those IMO if they want to succeed. There are a number of goalies that would be better bets that are either now available or will become available by the trade deadline. Fleury comes to mind.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Throw Giroux and a top 5 pick in the mix and I think we have something

I still think defense is our #1 issue.  Maybe that solution comes internally.  Time will tell.

In a perfect world I'd like to add a good veteran LHD and shed Mete and MDZ but MDZ likely isn't going anywhere.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Zaitsev
Holden/MDZ-Thomson

Seems pretty decent to me. A lot hinges on Sanderson though. And if we can improve the LHD on the bottom pairing on a short-term deal I'd do that too.

If we can add Giroux and someone like Kuzmenko (if he works out) and put Kastelic as the 4C (or Greig if he's ready) we will push for a playoff spot next season.

Edit: It sounds like we have the inside track on Kuzmenko (apparently)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently Price may be available as the Habs do a full tear-down. $10.5M, can the Oilers make enough room? I'll just look at next season (contracts coming off the cap):

Koskanen: $4.5
Turris: $1.65
Archibald: $1.5
Russell: $1.25
Stalock: $0.785

Not quite $10.5M, also the last 3 are on LTIR so that's clearing LTIR relief and not cap space. I'm not knowlegeable enough to figure this out. But there's also Puljujärvi and Yamamoto at $1.175 each.

Anyhow, I think it would actually be doable with some salary going the other way.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Weird timing on Kuzmenko. First we get this tween from Steve Lloyd at 10:26AM yesterday:

@TSNSteveLloyd
Pierre Dorion tells us he spoke to Andrei Kuzmenko's agent (Dan Milstein) last night. Kuzmenko is a sought after winger having a great season with St. Petersburg in the KHL. He was a teammate of Artem Zub's for 2 seasons.
10:26 AM · Jan 6, 2022·Twitter Web App

Then Bruce some 20-odd minutes later:
@SunGarrioch
Dorion says he will meet with Kuzmenko’s agent in the coming days. Lots of interest but #Sens have a good shot.
10:49 AM · Jan 6, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So did he meet with him "last" night *and* planning to meet again the coming days? If yes, sounds like they have more than a good chance.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lloyd replied to say that the meeting "last night" was just a group text to set up the meeting "in the coming days".

Oh, and the Saturday game in Vancouver game has also been postponed (along with next Saturday's game in Winnipeg). Not sure why they are postponing a game more than a week away but I suspect it's because it's a Saturday night game?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Is this guy similar to Kaprizov? I don't know much about him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 37 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum