GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 48 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So now that Svechnikov is signed , 8 x 7.25 makes sense for Brady . I'd argue a little lower makes sense but he brings other intangibles and of course playing in Ottawa apparently has its downsides

Arguably the best player in his draft year with Brady probably 2nd or 3rd if there was a redraft. So, yeah, Brady should be a bit lower. I'd be more than happy with 8 x $7.5M, but I don't think the Tkachuk clan will agree with me and will still push for a bridge deal.

Mind you, I wonder if one of the issues the Flames have with Matt stem from him signing a bridge deal instead of committing. Maybe if he signed for 8 (like I'm sure they wanted) he would have more pull in the room and with management. The question is, does he care? Will it affect him in any way if he's moved? He's certain to benefit financially, true, but life is not all about dollar signs.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So now that Svechnikov is signed , 8 x 7.25 makes sense for Brady . I'd argue a little lower makes sense but he brings other intangibles and of course playing in Ottawa apparently has its downsides

Yeah I’m pretty sure this set the stage for what a long term contract should look like for Brady.

The trouble is I really don’t think he wants a long term deal.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Arguably the best player in his draft year with Brady probably 2nd or 3rd if there was a redraft.  So, yeah, Brady should be a bit lower. I'd be more than happy with 8 x $7.5M, but I don't think the Tkachuk clan will agree with me and will still push for a bridge deal.

Mind you, I wonder if one of the issues the Flames have with Matt stem from him signing a bridge deal instead of committing.  Maybe if he signed for 8 (like I'm sure they wanted) he would have more pull in the room and with management.  The question is, does he care?  Will it affect him in any way if he's moved? He's certain to benefit financially, true, but life is not all about dollar signs.

Svech, Dhalin, Hughes, Brady would be my re-draft order.

I think Matt sort of blew it and won't make more than what he's making on his current contract. Calgary is also a lot different than Ottawa. We have a bright future and are building around Tkachuk whereas Calgary has been and continues to be in limbo with no real path. Tkachuk's best friend is also his linemate, he love Stutzle, loves the coach, has a voice in the room, and is loved by the fans. He'd be silly to not want to sign here *if* he gets a commitment from management that they will spend and do what it takes to compete.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Couturier just signed 8 x $7.75. Market has been set for Brady

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Couturier just signed 8 x $7.75. Market has been set for Brady

His wouldn't really be used as a comparison, but Svechnikov's would.

Svechnikov is better, but not a huge tier better. I think Brady signing the same deal would be fair given the market differences.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Let's hope. Then fingers crossed for Batherson shortly after

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hoping Bath is a 5 x 5. Works for everyone

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hoping Bath is a 5 x 5. Works for everyone
I don’t know that 5x 5 is good for bath. That would bring him to UFA if I’m correct.
He’s either gonna want. Bridge or a long term also. Long term he may be able to get 6.5.
On a 2- 3 year it could be in the 4mill range

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He's proven very little at the NHL level. It's a good deal for both sides. Back-end it if needed

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He'd be silly to not want to sign here *if* he gets a commitment from management that they will spend and do what it takes to compete.

Whoa whoa whoa let's not go getting crazy here!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The only reason he would do a bridge deal is if he thinks his production with substantially increase in the next few years leading to more money on a long term deal after the bridge. I don’t buy any “commitment from team” or such. You can just sign an 8 year deal now if you’re happy with the money, and if you aren’t happy with the team situation in a few years, you can just ask for a trade.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't see any way he doesn't sign a bridge deal. I think he'll be banking on himself to continue improving and also the cap will likely go up again as will salaries.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

If he signs an 8 x 8 he's secured 64 million dollars, captaincy, ad revenue, sponsorship, etc. If he signs a bridge deal he's betting on himself to increase his production to a point where he makes what - a million more tops per year? He loses leverage with the Fan base and puts too much at risk especially given the style he plays. If he wants to leave then fine. Sign a deal with a limited NMC and be can control his fate that way. But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

Good players do this all the time. Bridge deals exist for a reason...sometimes the team prefers them, sometimes the player prefers them. Also, don't underestimate an American player's desire to get the Diddle out of Canada and back to the States. If Brady can hit UFA in 4 years or whatever it is, that's kind of the best case scenario for him in terms of controlling where he goes and cashing in.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

Good players do this all the time.  Bridge deals exist for a reason...sometimes the team prefers them, sometimes the player prefers them.  Also, don't underestimate an American player's desire to get the Diddle out of Canada and back to the States.  If Brady can hit UFA in 4 years or whatever it is, that's kind of the best case scenario for him in terms of controlling where he goes and cashing in.

We have a better LW in Stutzle coming down the pipe. He'll pretty much relegate Tkachuck to a second line LW. That's a lot of money for a guy who isn't a goal scorer and is getting paid primarily for intangibles. Not to mention a reckless style that may get him injured a lot over the course of his career. He should sign long-term and if he's not happy he can demand his way out of Ottawa like so many others have done in the past. We just saw OEL do this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:The only reason he would do a bridge deal is if he thinks his production with substantially increase in the next few years leading to more money on a long term deal after the bridge. I don’t buy any “commitment from team” or such. You can just sign an 8 year deal now if you’re happy with the money, and if you aren’t happy with the team situation in a few years, you can just ask for a trade.

Not so much his production but league-wide HRR driving up the cap.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If he signs an 8 x 8 he's secured 64 million dollars, captaincy, ad revenue, sponsorship, etc. If he signs a bridge deal he's betting on himself to increase his production to a point where he makes what - a million more tops per year? He loses leverage with the Fan base and puts too much at risk especially given the style he plays. If he wants to leave then fine. Sign a deal with a limited NMC and be can control his fate that way. But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

$8M is (very roughly) 10% of the cap. If the cap goes up to $90M in 3 years that's $1M more per year. That's also less than 5% growth in HRR per year. 10% annual growth over 3 years brings the cap to $106, so roughly $2.6M/year more. The numbers certainly work in the player's favor in a bridge deal, assuming (as most do) that HRR will grow substantially. Additionally you want a lower salary for when the escrow is high (currently 20%, down to 6% in the final year of the current CBA). 8 x $8M just might not make sense from even the most conservative revenue growth projections.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If he signs an 8 x 8 he's secured 64 million dollars, captaincy, ad revenue, sponsorship, etc. If he signs a bridge deal he's betting on himself to increase his production to a point where he makes what - a million more tops per year? He loses leverage with the Fan base and puts too much at risk especially given the style he plays. If he wants to leave then fine. Sign a deal with a limited NMC and be can control his fate that way. But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

$8M is (very roughly) 10% of the cap.  If the cap goes up to $90M in 3 years that's $1M more per year.  That's also less than 5% growth in HRR per year.   10% annual growth over 3 years brings the cap to $106, so roughly $2.6M/year more.  The numbers certainly work in the player's favor in a bridge deal, assuming (as most do) that HRR will grow substantially.  Additionally you want a lower salary for when the escrow is high (currently 20%, down to 6% in the final year of the current CBA).  8 x $8M just might not make sense from even the most conservative revenue growth projections.  

Right but he's gambling on an increase in production and given his style of play he could miss some time which could hurt him in his next contract. I'm just saying he should take the guaranteed money and run.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 48 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum