GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 47 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm definitely not in the Eichel camp here but if Ottawa doesn't acquire a top-six forward who can produce 70+ points or can elevate the games of their linemates, I think this season will spell the end of Dorion in Ottawa and it might happen in-season if the Sens get off to a rocky start.

Too many blown trades, poor roster management, bad free agent signings, skeptical drafting (still too early to tell). I think this is the end of the line for him unless he does something significant to get the team in the playoffs this year which given the current lineup isn't a reality. I am not even sure what's available for them to trade for at this point.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm definitely not in the Eichel camp here but if Ottawa doesn't acquire a top-six forward who can produce 70+ points or can elevate the games of their linemates, I think this season will spell the end of Dorion in Ottawa and it might happen in-season if the Sens get off to a rocky start.

Too many blown trades, poor roster management, bad free agent signings, skeptical drafting (still too early to tell). I think this is the end of the line for him unless he does something significant to get the team in the playoffs this year which given the current lineup isn't a reality. I am not even sure what's available for them to trade for at this point.

I think they could use another top six player preferably at C, but it’s not going to be a guy who puts up 70+. There’s just not any out there other than Eichel. I think it will be Strome or Monahan if we do get a C. Monahan would be perfect and he’s due for a bounce back if fully healthy. I don’t think playoffs or no playoffs would be what gets Dorion an extension or not, though. It’s still a development year but one where we should be closer to the playoffs than before.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm definitely not in the Eichel camp here but if Ottawa doesn't acquire a top-six forward who can produce 70+ points or can elevate the games of their linemates, I think this season will spell the end of Dorion in Ottawa and it might happen in-season if the Sens get off to a rocky start.

"Skeptical drafting" is a pretty laughable thing to hold against Dorion. Their drafting has been fine the past few years.

Also, as Ev pointed out, the roster we finished the season with was quite different than the one we started with, and was playing quite well. So without any additional moves, this could be a fringe playoff team assuming the goaltending holds up.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I agree with Monahan - but why hasn't it happened yet? When they're pushing to sell seasons tickets shouldn't it come with some form of excitement? Two of our best forwards remain unsigned, we didn't address anything we said we would, and our marquee off-season signing is Del Zotto. Yeesh.

I guess I just don't see us taking the next step any time soon, hence my comment about him being on thin ice.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I agree with Monahan - but why hasn't it happened yet? When they're pushing to sell seasons tickets shouldn't it come with some form of excitement? Two of our best forwards remain unsigned, we didn't address anything we said we would, and our marquee off-season signing is Del Zotto. Yeesh.

I guess I just don't see us taking the next step any time soon, hence my comment about him being on thin ice.

it hasn't happened because Calgary thinks themselves as a contender and not a pretender. they probably don't want to trade him.

the sens should't even bother either unless he came with an extension

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Right. Which means it's likely not going to happen. I guess Eichel is going to be the last domino to fall to get things going

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I agree with Monahan - but why hasn't it happened yet? When they're pushing to sell seasons tickets shouldn't it come with some form of excitement? Two of our best forwards remain unsigned, we didn't address anything we said we would, and our marquee off-season signing is Del Zotto. Yeesh.

it hasn't happened because Calgary thinks themselves as a contender and not a pretender. they probably don't want to trade him.

Impossible because he only has two years left

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Impossible because he only has two years left

My bad. Still would be a risky move. They’d want some real assets we’d likely prefer not to part with.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm guessing at a Sens-Anaheim deal:

To Ottawa: Manson, Rakell, Groulx, Henrique (30% retained)
To Anaheim: Tierney, J. Brown, L. Brown, Brannstrom, Tampa 2022 2nd

Tkachuk-Norris-Rakell
Stutzle-Henrique-Batherson
Paul-White-C.Brown
Formenton-Kelly-Watson

Chabot-Manson
Del Zotto-Zub
Mete-Zaitsev
Extra: Holden

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm guessing at a Sens-Anaheim deal:

To Ottawa: Manson, Rakell, Groulx, Henrique (30% retained)
To Anaheim: Tierney, J. Brown, L. Brown, Brannstrom, Tampa 2022 2nd

Tkachuk-Norris-Rakell
Stutzle-Henrique-Batherson
Paul-White-C.Brown
Formenton-Kelly-Watson

Chabot-Manson
Del Zotto-Zub
Mete-Zaitsev
Extra: Holden
That’s pretty much saying that they deal Manson and Henrique and rackel while taking Josh brown off our hands for Brannstrom, a second that’s almost a third and a reclamation project?

Yeah, I don’t see that deal working out 😂

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Money off the books. They probably get a 2nd for rakell at the deadline and the reclamation project could work out. Anyway something along those lines

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Scott Sabourin brought back by the sens. I can’t imagine he really sees any games with the big club unless we lose Watson to injury and we start getting manhandled.

This is likely to make sure we’re a harder team in Belleville and an insurance for the reasons above. He can play NHL if needed I guess.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

According to Hailey Salvian of The Athletic, Monahan may not be around much longer for the Flames. While Calgary may make a move for Christian Dvorak, they could trade Monahan to address issues on defense.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Not sure we can really address Calgary's defensive woes considering our D is still arguably bottom five in the league.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So now that Svechnikov is signed , 8 x 7.25 makes sense for Brady . I'd argue a little lower makes sense but he brings other intangibles and of course playing in Ottawa apparently has its downsides

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So now that Svechnikov is signed , 8 x 7.25 makes sense for Brady . I'd argue a little lower makes sense but he brings other intangibles and of course playing in Ottawa apparently has its downsides

Arguably the best player in his draft year with Brady probably 2nd or 3rd if there was a redraft. So, yeah, Brady should be a bit lower. I'd be more than happy with 8 x $7.5M, but I don't think the Tkachuk clan will agree with me and will still push for a bridge deal.

Mind you, I wonder if one of the issues the Flames have with Matt stem from him signing a bridge deal instead of committing. Maybe if he signed for 8 (like I'm sure they wanted) he would have more pull in the room and with management. The question is, does he care? Will it affect him in any way if he's moved? He's certain to benefit financially, true, but life is not all about dollar signs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So now that Svechnikov is signed , 8 x 7.25 makes sense for Brady . I'd argue a little lower makes sense but he brings other intangibles and of course playing in Ottawa apparently has its downsides

Yeah I’m pretty sure this set the stage for what a long term contract should look like for Brady.

The trouble is I really don’t think he wants a long term deal.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Arguably the best player in his draft year with Brady probably 2nd or 3rd if there was a redraft.  So, yeah, Brady should be a bit lower. I'd be more than happy with 8 x $7.5M, but I don't think the Tkachuk clan will agree with me and will still push for a bridge deal.

Mind you, I wonder if one of the issues the Flames have with Matt stem from him signing a bridge deal instead of committing.  Maybe if he signed for 8 (like I'm sure they wanted) he would have more pull in the room and with management.  The question is, does he care?  Will it affect him in any way if he's moved? He's certain to benefit financially, true, but life is not all about dollar signs.

Svech, Dhalin, Hughes, Brady would be my re-draft order.

I think Matt sort of blew it and won't make more than what he's making on his current contract. Calgary is also a lot different than Ottawa. We have a bright future and are building around Tkachuk whereas Calgary has been and continues to be in limbo with no real path. Tkachuk's best friend is also his linemate, he love Stutzle, loves the coach, has a voice in the room, and is loved by the fans. He'd be silly to not want to sign here *if* he gets a commitment from management that they will spend and do what it takes to compete.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 47 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum