GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 46 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, Flo, I think you're probably right.  They'll acquire a C, and likely not a great one, more likely just another aging vet to be a short term minute eater.

And they wonder why they can't sell tickets. This team has been waiting years to do something of significance after repeatedly losing star players. All this talk about building through the draft and a patient rebuild - we have all the pieces and cap space in the world to do something big and time and time again they sit on their hands and do nothing.

It's to the point now where I'd rather they do nothing than do something dumb (i.e. potentially sell the farm to trade for Eichel).  There's no need to rush anything, we're probably still two seasons away from being a real contender.  That said, there have been quality centres, wingers, and defencemen traded or signed that would have been great fits here in Ottawa.

Yeah maybe. But there’s a lot of NMC on those top C’s . They’d have to have Ottawa on their list. Which they likely don’t.

I’m not sure it would cost us something we couldn’t pay to get Eichel. Probably Brannstrom, Grieg or another top prospect, a 1st and a 2nd.
I think something like that gets it done. Maybe throw in Logan brown.

But the question is, do we really want Eichel? He’s got problematic written all over him.
We know very little about his injury problems apart from what doctors are saying about the type of surgery he wants. The problems could be bigger. And I don’t see a universe in which he resigns 5 years from now. He’s looking for a big market team from where he can get big money endorsements. Ottawa is not that market.

As far as other C’s available, they’re s got to be some that are.

If I’m Dorion I focus on two guys Kuznetsov and Hertl.
Kuz would be cheap in terms of assets and includes a little risk plus a high cap risk but his salary is 5M in singing bonus this year so who knows. Which is likely already paid out.

Hertl is one year away from UFA so he has to come with a new contract. And if he does he’s likely 7-8mill range. He’ll cost a 1st, a 2nd and a A prospect.

Yes we would want Eichel but it will cost more than that I imagine. Superstar #1C and would take us over the top in a year or two. 5 years is long enough regardless if he signs after that. That’s a long term deal. Would be well worth it. That being said I think we’ll be a good contending team without him as well, as I expect them to make some other moves now or next year.

No chance they bring in Kuznetsov - he is exactly the kind of guy they don’t want on the team.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Where you play only limits your endorsement money for local campaigns. McDavid plays in Edmonton but does plenty of nation-wide ad campaigns. If Eichel is missing out it has more to do with the fact that he looks like Sideshow Bob without the charming voice, than it does with him playing in the armpit of the hockey universe.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Where you play only limits your endorsement money for local campaigns.  McDavid plays in Edmonton but does plenty of nation-wide ad campaigns.  If Eichel is missing out it has more to do with the fact that he looks like Sideshow Bob without the charming voice, than it does with him playing in the armpit of the hockey universe.

Which team or market you play in factors in tremendously. McDavid is one of the top faces of the NHL. Of course that changes things. If Eichel plays for one of the bigger US market teams it’s gonna affect which sponsors he can draw in. And not only the local ones.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Nhl is a fourth rate sport in the US and are well behind the NFL and NBA. I don't think it really matters where you play in the US. You probably have a lot more marketing power in Canada

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

4% of Americans consider hockey their favourite sport

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Where you play only limits your endorsement money for local campaigns.  McDavid plays in Edmonton but does plenty of nation-wide ad campaigns.  If Eichel is missing out it has more to do with the fact that he looks like Sideshow Bob without the charming voice, than it does with him playing in the armpit of the hockey universe.

Which team or market you play in factors in tremendously. McDavid is one of the top faces of the NHL. Of course that changes things. If Eichel plays for one of the bigger US market teams it’s gonna affect which sponsors he can draw in. And not only the local ones.

Money etc is always important but if it was a huge deal I don’t think he would have extended in Buffalo for so long.

Either way, you’re getting him for five years, so his status after that isn’t that important, IMO

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Agreed. I don't think the risk is that bad

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Money etc is always important but if it was a huge deal I don’t think he would have extended in Buffalo for so long.

Either way, you’re getting him for five years, so his status after that isn’t that important, IMO

Well at what he got in Buffalo, he knew he could ask for a trade. (And he did). He’s got that guaranteed. Only now and almost controls his destiny.

I still think he looks like a problem player.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, if there weren't red flags, giving up a ton for him wouldn't really seem like a problem. As it stands....I dunno...seems like a relatively large risk.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The latest, breaking story from Travis Yost: Sens goalies and defense were bad last year.

https://www.tsn.ca/yost-are-the-ottawa-senators-solid-enough-in-goal-for-next-season-1.1679687

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

A million monkey on a million typewriters

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not breaking, but the Sens recently reached an affiliation with the Atlanta Gladiators (ECHL). An appropriate name given our centurion logo. Now Mandolese will have a team to play for.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, their logo fits the branding too.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So rookie camp begins in about a month meaning the start of the season is right around the corner. I'm trying to make sense of this roster. We were one of the worst teams in the league last year and did nothing to improve externally.

Forwards (9 guaranteed):
- Tkachuk
- Norris
- Batherson
- White
- Watson
- Tierney
- Paul
- C. Brown
- Stutzle

Forwards (2 likely):
- L. Brown
- Formenton

Tweeners (3):
- Pinto
- Bishop
- Kelly

Forwards (3 outside shots):
- Greig
- Sokolov
- Crookshank

So what does this lineup look like on opening night? Looking at positional depth and one-way contracts, I suspect Ottawa's lineup will look something like:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Tierney-White
Paul-L.Brown-C.Brown
Formenton-Bishop-Watson

I am not sure how the organization thinks this lineup is going to contend or do anything of relevance next year. I guess management is hoping for big rebound years from Tierney and White, for Logan Brown to stay healthy and produce, for Stutzle and Norris to improve on their rookie years, and for consistency out of Batherson.

Am I the only one that thinks the Sens will actually finish worse than how they finished last year?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I won’t bother with lineups or analysis until we make another move. They’re not going to go into the year with this set of players, and Tierney and Brown could very well still be traded. Eichel is holding up other moves right now.

That being said if they did not make any moves, I think we’ll be out of the playoffs but closer than last year as long as we get the goaltending. That made the difference in the last two months of last season and we saw what our guys could do as they further developed and gelled together

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm definitely not in the Eichel camp here but if Ottawa doesn't acquire a top-six forward who can produce 70+ points or can elevate the games of their linemates, I think this season will spell the end of Dorion in Ottawa and it might happen in-season if the Sens get off to a rocky start.

Too many blown trades, poor roster management, bad free agent signings, skeptical drafting (still too early to tell). I think this is the end of the line for him unless he does something significant to get the team in the playoffs this year which given the current lineup isn't a reality. I am not even sure what's available for them to trade for at this point.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm definitely not in the Eichel camp here but if Ottawa doesn't acquire a top-six forward who can produce 70+ points or can elevate the games of their linemates, I think this season will spell the end of Dorion in Ottawa and it might happen in-season if the Sens get off to a rocky start.

Too many blown trades, poor roster management, bad free agent signings, skeptical drafting (still too early to tell). I think this is the end of the line for him unless he does something significant to get the team in the playoffs this year which given the current lineup isn't a reality. I am not even sure what's available for them to trade for at this point.

I think they could use another top six player preferably at C, but it’s not going to be a guy who puts up 70+. There’s just not any out there other than Eichel. I think it will be Strome or Monahan if we do get a C. Monahan would be perfect and he’s due for a bounce back if fully healthy. I don’t think playoffs or no playoffs would be what gets Dorion an extension or not, though. It’s still a development year but one where we should be closer to the playoffs than before.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm definitely not in the Eichel camp here but if Ottawa doesn't acquire a top-six forward who can produce 70+ points or can elevate the games of their linemates, I think this season will spell the end of Dorion in Ottawa and it might happen in-season if the Sens get off to a rocky start.

"Skeptical drafting" is a pretty laughable thing to hold against Dorion. Their drafting has been fine the past few years.

Also, as Ev pointed out, the roster we finished the season with was quite different than the one we started with, and was playing quite well. So without any additional moves, this could be a fringe playoff team assuming the goaltending holds up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 46 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 56 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum