GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 49 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:The only reason he would do a bridge deal is if he thinks his production with substantially increase in the next few years leading to more money on a long term deal after the bridge. I don’t buy any “commitment from team” or such. You can just sign an 8 year deal now if you’re happy with the money, and if you aren’t happy with the team situation in a few years, you can just ask for a trade.

Not so much his production but league-wide HRR driving up the cap.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If he signs an 8 x 8 he's secured 64 million dollars, captaincy, ad revenue, sponsorship, etc. If he signs a bridge deal he's betting on himself to increase his production to a point where he makes what - a million more tops per year? He loses leverage with the Fan base and puts too much at risk especially given the style he plays. If he wants to leave then fine. Sign a deal with a limited NMC and be can control his fate that way. But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

$8M is (very roughly) 10% of the cap. If the cap goes up to $90M in 3 years that's $1M more per year. That's also less than 5% growth in HRR per year. 10% annual growth over 3 years brings the cap to $106, so roughly $2.6M/year more. The numbers certainly work in the player's favor in a bridge deal, assuming (as most do) that HRR will grow substantially. Additionally you want a lower salary for when the escrow is high (currently 20%, down to 6% in the final year of the current CBA). 8 x $8M just might not make sense from even the most conservative revenue growth projections.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:If he signs an 8 x 8 he's secured 64 million dollars, captaincy, ad revenue, sponsorship, etc. If he signs a bridge deal he's betting on himself to increase his production to a point where he makes what - a million more tops per year? He loses leverage with the Fan base and puts too much at risk especially given the style he plays. If he wants to leave then fine. Sign a deal with a limited NMC and be can control his fate that way. But turning down guaranteed term and money is stupid

$8M is (very roughly) 10% of the cap.  If the cap goes up to $90M in 3 years that's $1M more per year.  That's also less than 5% growth in HRR per year.   10% annual growth over 3 years brings the cap to $106, so roughly $2.6M/year more.  The numbers certainly work in the player's favor in a bridge deal, assuming (as most do) that HRR will grow substantially.  Additionally you want a lower salary for when the escrow is high (currently 20%, down to 6% in the final year of the current CBA).  8 x $8M just might not make sense from even the most conservative revenue growth projections.  

Right but he's gambling on an increase in production and given his style of play he could miss some time which could hurt him in his next contract. I'm just saying he should take the guaranteed money and run.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:The only reason he would do a bridge deal is if he thinks his production with substantially increase in the next few years leading to more money on a long term deal after the bridge. I don’t buy any “commitment from team” or such. You can just sign an 8 year deal now if you’re happy with the money, and if you aren’t happy with the team situation in a few years, you can just ask for a trade.

Not so much his production but league-wide HRR driving up the cap.

Yes but you could build that into the contract today, if they all expect certain increases.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Gus signed. Nice deal. Sets the stage for a Forsberg deal at the deadline

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Gus signed. Nice deal. Sets the stage for a Forsberg deal at the deadline

Yeah, could very well be.
Nice deal for us. He’s looking like the backup before the year is done. I just want to give soogard and ma some Mandolese as much time in the AHL. We should know what we have in both by the end of next year and who which one is expendable to make room for merilainen in two years.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

My guess is he outperforms Forsberg in training camp the same way Brannstrom is going to outperform everyone else. Gus, Pinto, Brann, JBD, Kelly are probably going to start the year in Belleville. Note the worst thing for any of them but personally hate the fact that this means I'll be watching Holden, J. Brown, and Tierney for extended periods of time this year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:My guess is he outperforms Forsberg in training camp the same way Brannstrom is going to outperform everyone else. Gus, Pinto, Brann, JBD, Kelly are probably going to start the year in Belleville. Note the worst thing for any of them but personally hate the fact that this means I'll be watching Holden, J. Brown, and Tierney for extended periods of time this year.

Pinto will make it unless they get another C via trade or signing. They only have 4 C right now.

Kelly and JBD should definitely be getting more time. Unless Kelly performs well to earn a RW spot on the 4th line.

I think Brannstrom will make it unless he has a poor start.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:My guess is he outperforms Forsberg in training camp the same way Brannstrom is going to outperform everyone else. Gus, Pinto, Brann, JBD, Kelly are probably going to start the year in Belleville. Note the worst thing for any of them but personally hate the fact that this means I'll be watching Holden, J. Brown, and Tierney for extended periods of time this year.

Pinto will make it unless they get another C via trade or signing. They only have 4 C right now.

Kelly and JBD should definitely be getting more time. Unless Kelly performs well to earn a RW spot on the 4th line.

I think they'll put White or L. Brown as 2C ahead of Pinto right now. They need to get some value out of White right now. Then of course there is Tierney and Nick Paul who can can play C. No reason why a Formenton-Paul-C.Brown line can't be a thing next year.

I am only posting this for discussion, but Keven Francis (Hockeybuzz) is suggesting Ottawa is offering Brannstrom, White, Greig/Thomson, Kelly and 2022 1st for Eichel. I don't know how I would feel about this. I'm excited for Brannstrom but he may end up being a depth guy because of his size and buried behind Chabot and Sanderson. It's Greig who I'd be upset about losing but honestly, between Boucher, Formenton and Tkachuk we really don't need someone who plays dirty on our roster. We need skill.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:

I think they'll put White or L. Brown as 2C ahead of Pinto right now. They need to get some value out of White right now. Then of course there is Tierney and Nick Paul who can can play C. No reason why a Formenton-Paul-C.Brown line can't be a thing next year.

I am only posting this for discussion, but Keven Francis (Hockeybuzz) is suggesting Ottawa is offering Brannstrom, White, Greig/Thomson, Kelly and 2022 1st for Eichel. I don't know how I would feel about this. I'm excited for Brannstrom but he may end up being a depth guy because of his size and buried behind Chabot and Sanderson. It's Greig who I'd be upset about losing but honestly, between Boucher, Formenton and Tkachuk we really don't need someone who plays dirty on our roster. We need skill.

The trade also doesn't hurt us in terms of losing any core prospects and solves the Colin White problem. This is the exact type of deal Ottawa needs to be making with its plethora of prospects.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:

Yes, I think White will play ahead of Pinto to start too. Coach said Stutzle will play with Brown, so likely White to centre them to start.

I did forget about L. Brown, but I still don't see him playing here next year. But who knows.

I think the four Cs and four LWs are locked at this point, with one spot open at RW.

Also yeah that Eichel trade would be great, but I wouldn't read too much into most likely fake rumours.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

There is always the possibility of Stutzle playing center at some point too though with how good Norris was and with Pinto behind him there may not be an urgency to move him to center.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Imagine the Sens pull of the trade and announce the signing of Tkachuk and Batherson shortly after. It would definitely suck that he wouldn't be ready for the start of the year but it would signal a huge message to the team, the fan base, and the league - the Sens are here.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I also don't see Logan Brown getting much if any NHL time with the Sens this coming season. Pretty sure that ship has sailed.

I believe it was mentioned by someone recently that Ottawa plans on giving Colin White every opportunity to be the #2 C. Norris should be #1, and then Pinto/Tierney as #3 and 4.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Imagine the Sens pull of the trade and announce the signing of Tkachuk and Batherson shortly after. It would definitely suck that he wouldn't be ready for the start of the year but it would signal a huge message to the team, the fan base, and the league - the Sens are here.

I still believe Eichel is just too risky to trade for. He has a substantial medical concern that is unresolved, in addition to potential character issues. Too many red flags for my liking.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I also don't see Logan Brown getting much if any NHL time with the Sens this coming season.  Pretty sure that ship has sailed.

I believe it was mentioned by someone recently that Ottawa plans on giving Colin White every opportunity to be the #2 C.  Norris should be #1, and then Pinto/Tierney as #3 and 4.  

Could be pumping White's tires prior to a trade. Keep that in mind too.

I agree there are flags with Eichel but:
- worst case he's on IR because of his injury (80% covered)
- he's only signed for 5 more years. He'll be coming off the books around the same time as Stutzle is off his bridge
- he won't be a leader on this team. Tkachuk, Chabot, etc will be the leaders of this team. He can produce without the pressure of being the Captain and the #1 guy.

I'd personally try adding Zaitsev and take something else off the rumored trade noting that we won't have him for most of the year. The 1st would need to be a 2023 not a 2022.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hockey buzz rumours.... tumbleweed

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

not a big fan of Eichel either.

that man waves the red flags more proudly than Mao.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 49 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum