GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Here's the problem I see happening.  Norris has overachieved this season -- in a large way.  But does anyone see either him or Pinto as a legit 1LC?  Neither one -- nor Stutzle, for that matter -- have the size you want in a #1.  We've got size on the wings with Brady and Drake but not so much down the middle.  Unless anyone thinks Paul can continue to improve and/or Brown finally has an injury-free development year.  I'm not holding my breath.

Josh Norris was a first round draft pick, he is not overachieving in a large way, he is exactly where he should be, and I would expect him to improve further.  Also, a lot of teams don't have giant #1Cs...it's not really a "thing" like it used to be.  Patrice Bergeron and Nathan Mackinnon are both around 6 feet which is where Stutzle and Norris are.

I dont think Norris has overachieved either, not at all.  There are strength issues galore and his numbers will get way better as he learns to use that shot of his.

This off season is a big one for him.

He's overachieved in that his 200 ft game is way better than most players at 21 years old. He still has lots to work on offensively which is what excites me about him. Even his faceoff win percentage is over 50% and that's going up against McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl, Mohanah, Dubois, Tavares, etc.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a "true" 1C but if he has dynamic wingers, an above 50% win percentage, and skates well then he'll be fine. In a perfect world Dorion probably sees his top-nine as:

Tkachuk-Norris-XXXX
Stutzle-Pinto-Batherson
Formenton-Greig-White

So to me it's about finding that RW who can play in that top-line role. Maybe it's Guenther? I was pissed that Ottawa passed on Peterka to take Jarventie. But who knows, maybe Sokolov can surprise and fit in that spot or maybe lines can be juggled in order to have Abramov or White fit into a better spot on the right.

I maintain you want C. Brown on your 4th line with Paul and Parker Kelly. That'd be a hell of a 4th line that you can roll out against any team's top players.

Defense will continue to be the problem on this team until Sanderson and JBD are contributing on a regular basis and Chabot's minutes come down

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Aaaand we just claimed the Mete man. Great move. I think he'll be able to get into the lineup tonight?

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Aaaand we just claimed the Mete man. Great move. I think he'll be able to get into the lineup tonight?

I'm happy this will piss off habs fans. hopefully, he clicks.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Ottawa claims Victor Mete off waivers from Montreal.  I remember he had a hot start to his career and then it quickly fizzled out.  

I don't know if he fizzled. they had hoped he could be an offensive guy but that's not what his game is.
he's someone that was forced into big minutes playing at times with Shea weber.
they will probably try to replace Rielly's minutes with him. if Branstrom can be put on the right, that's a pairing that could work. its either zub or zaitzev with chabot.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Ottawa claims Victor Mete off waivers from Montreal.  I remember he had a hot start to his career and then it quickly fizzled out.  

I don't know if he fizzled. they had hoped he could be an offensive guy but that's not what his game is.
he's someone that was forced into big minutes playing at times with Shea weber.
they will probably try to replace Rielly's minutes with him. if Branstrom can be put on the right, that's a pairing that could work. its either zub or zaitzev with chabot.

He's a lot shorter than I thought. Anyway he's a free asset and I think Montreal is just trying to ice a veteran blueline. Romanov is their up and comer on D. And I guess the move allows Caufield to play? Looking forward to Brady putting that guy through the boards

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Here's the problem I see happening.  Norris has overachieved this season -- in a large way.  But does anyone see either him or Pinto as a legit 1LC?  Neither one -- nor Stutzle, for that matter -- have the size you want in a #1.  We've got size on the wings with Brady and Drake but not so much down the middle.  Unless anyone thinks Paul can continue to improve and/or Brown finally has an injury-free development year.  I'm not holding my breath.

Josh Norris was a first round draft pick, he is not overachieving in a large way, he is exactly where he should be, and I would expect him to improve further.  Also, a lot of teams don't have giant #1Cs...it's not really a "thing" like it used to be.  Patrice Bergeron and Nathan Mackinnon are both around 6 feet which is where Stutzle and Norris are.

He is a late 1st rounder, rookie, with one pro year under his belt, playing on a very bad team. If that's common, you should have no issues finding 3 examples from the last 10 drafts (bottom third of the first round, 1 year pro, rubbing more than half his faceoff playing to line minutes).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't realize Pinto is 6'3". There's your 1LC in a couple years. Pinto-Norris-Paul down the middle is sicko!

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Gudbrandson to Nashville for a 7th in 2023

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:Gudbrandson to Nashville for a 7th in 2023

Hahahaha well, at least we cleared some space for young guys.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:Gudbrandson to Nashville for a 7th in 2023

Hahahaha well, at least we cleared some space for young guys.

A 2023 7th rd pick. I don't think you could be traded for anything less than that haha. Not this year's 7th, not next year's 7th, but the year after that. Good lord. At least there was a prospect tied to the trade. Probably had to do with giving taking back a roster spot?

Brandon Fortunato: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160558

170 lb d-man with 8 PIM in 9 GP. See ya never

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

So our d tonight:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Mete-Brown

Or maybe Aspirot and Goloubef come in? We're definitely in trouble

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So our d tonight:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Mete-Brown

Our defense was always Dung and is still Dung.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:So our d tonight:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Mete-Brown

Our defense was always Dung and is still Dung.

I dunno. Reilly outplayed Wolanin and Brannstrom, and Gudbranson was better than Brown. We managed to get worse haha

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Great deadline moves today. The rest of this season doesn’t matter, so if none of those guys were in the future plans or didn’t accept an offer (Reilly) you had to deal them. Mete is a no risk move and is a better player than Wolanin.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I dont think Norris has overachieved either, not at all.  There are strength issues galore and his numbers will get way better as he learns to use that shot of his.

This off season is a big one for him.

He's overachieved in that his 200 ft game is way better than most players at 21 years old. He still has lots to work on offensively which is what excites me about him. Even his faceoff win percentage is over 50% and that's going up against McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl, Mohanah, Dubois, Tavares, etc.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a "true" 1C but if he has dynamic wingers, an above 50% win percentage, and skates well then he'll be fine. In a perfect world Dorion probably sees his top-nine as:

Tkachuk-Norris-XXXX
Stutzle-Pinto-Batherson
Formenton-Greig-White

So to me it's about finding that RW who can play in that top-line role. Maybe it's Guenther? I was pissed that Ottawa passed on Peterka to take Jarventie. But who knows, maybe Sokolov can surprise and fit in that spot or maybe lines can be juggled in order to have Abramov or White fit into a better spot on the right.

I maintain you want C. Brown on your 4th line with Paul and Parker Kelly. That'd be a hell of a 4th line that you can roll out against any team's top players.

Defense will continue to be the problem on this team until Sanderson and JBD are contributing on a regular basis and Chabot's minutes come down
This offseason should be all about signing or acquiring a number two d.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Love Formenton.  Adds a huge piece to our future plans.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They are currently sitting 2nd last but within striking distance of at least 2 teams. And I don't think Vancouver week win their games in hand playing 4 games a week with 2/3 of their roster coming off Covid.  Bottom 5th means 0 chance at the 1st overall. Do we trade that pick?

Last edited by wprager on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:They are currently sitting 2nd last but within striking distance of at least 2 teams. And I don't think Vancouver week win their games in hand playing 4 games a week with 2/3 of their roster coming off Covid.  Bottom 5th means 0 chance at the 1st overall. Do we trade that pick?

I think that's a draft-day decision and depends on what their pick is. They 100% need to address their RW and RHD positions this off-season and be a competitive team next year. No more being sellers at the deadline.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum