GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 38 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Wolanin traded for a spare part. Anisimov waived. Maybe sens making room for some und players ?

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don’t know anything about the guy they traded wolanin for but he seems like spare parts for sure.

At this point it feels like Wolanin needed a change of scenery and is more of a reclamation project.
He had injuries but that cNt be the only reason he’s on the reclamation pile.

He’s not the only prospect that was shipped out of town either.

I realize that prospects don’t all pan out but there’s been quite a few in a short period of time. And it was once guys that HD once shown promises.
It’s hard to see where the problem really lies but it cnt be ignored.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Balcers, Chlapik, Lajoie, Jaros . Logan Brown next. Am I missing anyone ?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:I don’t know anything about the guy they traded wolanin for but he seems like spare parts for sure.

At this point it feels like Wolanin needed a change of scenery and is more of a reclamation project.

I realize that prospects don’t all pan out but there’s been quite a few in a short period of time. And it was once guys that HD once shown promises.

Wolanin isn’t a prospect. If he’s a prospect than the guy they just acquired is too. His main problem was his injury, just like Chris wideman.

This is what happens when you accumulate so many young assets. You weed out the spare parts and keep the good ones. The prospects that have been moved looked like good pieces before other better prospects were brought in due to the rebuild

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I don’t know anything about the guy they traded wolanin for but he seems like spare parts for sure.

Wolanin isn’t a prospect. If he’s a prospect than the guy they just acquired is too. His main problem was his injury, just like Chris wideman.

This is what happens when you accumulate so many young assets. You weed out the spare parts and keep the good ones. The prospects that have been moved looked like good pieces before other better prospects were brought in due to the rebuild
I agree to some degree but I’m starting to question the development. And by that I mean recent development. Everything was on track and in the past two years things start falling off the rail. Seems like a lot of guys get to Ottawa and they don’t work out. There’s so,e exception like Nick Paul who finally put it together. But for every guy that has made it, there’s two that vanished.

You could say that normal development and some rookies don’t pan out but I have my doubts. I’m starting to ask myself questions about how Smith has handled these call ups. It coincides with him coming to Ottawa.

The most recent worries I have is towards Brannstrom. He’s outgrown the AHL yet he’s not working out in Ottawa. Again.

Again it’s guys playing D that are problematic. Jaros, Lajoie(questionable), Wolanin and now Brannstrom.
Smith is a very D oriented coach so you have to ask yourself if he’s got a an idea of what he wants, wanting guys to play a very specific way. Instead of using guys to their full potential and to their best attribute.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Balcers, Chlapik, Lajoie, Jaros . Logan Brown next. Am I missing anyone ?

Every team has guys like this.  None of these guys have done anything yet and I wouldn't expect them to, with the possible remote exception of Balcers.  Before this current wave it was guys like Wiercioch and Shane Prince that everyone slobbered over and then were out of the league within a couple years.

Like Ev said, we have a ton of prospects, and it's only natural that like 75% of them don't actually pan out.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

I agree to some degree but I’m starting to question the development. And by that I mean recent development. Everything was on track and in the past two years things start falling off the rail. Seems like a lot of guys get to Ottawa and they don’t work out. There’s so,e exception like Nick Paul who finally put it together. But for every guy that has made it, there’s two that vanished.

You could say that normal development and some rookies don’t pan out but I have my doubts. I’m starting to ask myself questions about how Smith has handled these call ups. It coincides with him coming to Ottawa.

The most recent worries I have is towards Brannstrom. He’s outgrown the AHL yet he’s not working out in Ottawa. Again.

Again it’s guys playing D that are problematic. Jaros, Lajoie(questionable), Wolanin and now Brannstrom.
Smith is a very D oriented coach so you have to ask yourself if he’s got a an idea of what he wants, wanting guys to play a very specific way. Instead of using guys to their full potential and to their best attribute.  

I don’t agree on Brannstrom. He is still very young and following the exact same path they took with Batherson. Next year he’ll most likely be full time. He may even be full time now that Wolanin is gone. Once he is ready and can play well in his own zone, he will stick and do well. But he also might be traded eventually since Sanderson is simply a better prospect all around.

Just because lesser prospects like Chlapik, Jaros, Wolanin etc didn’t work out (they looked like they would when we didn’t have as much talent) doesn’t mean we should overlook how guys like Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc have developed. Wolanins development also had nothing to do with Smith really, he barely played under him. So far the players who have earned the ice time have gotten it and have stuck in the league because they’re truly ready. Fans used to complain about players being rushed, remember that.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It's hard to say. Dorion has always been a good prospect evaluator but a lot of our best pieces are from other ogranizations.

- Our #1 goalie was acquired via trade (and a bad trade it seems so far)
- Zaitsev, Coburn, Gudbranson, Reilly, Brannstrom via trade, Zub via UFA. Really only Chabot, JBD, Thomson, Sanderson, Kleven via draft
- Dadonov, Norris, Brown, Tierney, Paul, Anisimov, Watson, Stepan via trade or UFA. Batherson, Tkachuk, White, Dzingel, Stutzle were drafted.

So it really is hard to say how effective our player development is

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

I don’t agree on Brannstrom. He is still very young and following the exact same path they took with Batherson. Next year he’ll most likely be full time. He may even be full time now that Wolanin is gone. Once he is ready and can play well in his own zone, he will stick and do well. But he also might be traded eventually since Sanderson is simply a better prospect all around.

Just because lesser prospects like Chlapik, Jaros, Wolanin etc didn’t work out (they looked like they would when we didn’t have as much talent) doesn’t mean we should overlook how guys like Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc have developed. Wolanins development also had nothing to do with Smith really, he barely played under him. So far the players who have earned the ice time have gotten it and have stuck in the league because they’re truly ready. Fans used to complain about players being rushed, remember that.

He barely played under him.

And guys like Gudbranson and Coburn and Brown and (until recently) Anisimov certainly had a lot more ice time than they *earned*.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It's hard to say. Dorion has always been a good prospect evaluator but a lot of our best pieces are from other ogranizations.

- Zaitsev, Coburn, Gudbranson, Reilly, Brannstrom via trade, Zub via UFA. Really only Chabot, JBD, Thomson, Sanderson, Kleven via draft
- Dadonov, Norris, Brown, Tierney, Paul, Anisimov, Watson, Stepan via trade or UFA. Batherson, Tkachuk, White, Dzingel, Stutzle were drafted.

They also drafted Karlsson, Stone, Pageau, Hoffman and others.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

JBD signs his 3 year deal going directly to Ottawa for quarantine. Rumour has it Pinto and Sanderson are going back to UND

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Let's not underestimate that Zub signing. Really steady, solid D there. I like his game, and I expect him to get better as he gets more comfortable in NA.

It'll be interesting to see JBD....

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:JBD signs his 3 year deal going directly to Ottawa for quarantine. Rumour has it Pinto and Sanderson are going back to UND

I've heard the same rumors. Would have liked to see Pinto sign. Not much more he can accomplish on a personal level aside from winning a national championship, but I guess I do see some value in him returning to UND. He'll be captain and counted on to be a leader whereas in Belleville he doesn't control his own fate.

Still my preference would be that he sign here, get a few games in, and start him in Belleville next season. Can't say I blame him if he doesn't think he's going to make the NHL full-time out of college.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:It's hard to say. Dorion has always been a good prospect evaluator but a lot of our best pieces are from other ogranizations.

Pageau and Hoffman are by no means stars in this league. But if we're playing this game, they also drafted Jim O'Brien, Stefan Noeson, Johnny Tychonik, Jonathan Dahlen, Gabriel Gagne, Filip Chlapik, and Englund within the first two rounds... If you want me to add Lazar to that list let me know

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:

Pageau and Hoffman are by no means stars in this league. But if we're playing this game, they also drafted Jim O'Brien, Stefan Noeson, Johnny Tychonik, Jonathan Dahlen, Gabriel Gagne, Filip Chlapik, and Englund within the first two rounds... If you want me to add Lazar to that list let me know

What you’re doing is totally irrelevant (and I mean prager too). You’re combining picks from completely different scouting staffs and scouting directors. If any team hit on every first and second they would be dynasties

Also pageau and Hoffman were home run picks. What are you on about?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:JBD signs his 3 year deal going directly to Ottawa for quarantine. Rumour has it Pinto and Sanderson are going back to UND

I've heard the same rumors. Would have liked to see Pinto sign. Not much more he can accomplish on a personal level aside from winning a national championship, but I guess I do see some value in him returning to UND. He'll be captain and counted on to be a leader whereas in Belleville he doesn't control his own fate.

Still my preference would be that he sign here, get a few games in, and start him in Belleville next season. Can't say I blame him if he doesn't think he's going to make the NHL full-time out of college.

Yeah, I don’t see the point of pinto going back for an extra year. He excelled there. He’s needed in Belleville and would learn more by playing tougher opponents.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah, I don’t see the point of pinto going back for an extra year. He excelled there. He’s needed in Belleville and would learn more by playing tougher opponents.

It's more concerning to see his peers who are younger (ie Caufield) signing. I don't think it'll be an issue signing him when he's ready but it's a pretty dumb move. He's signing an ELC either way, so he's just delaying the inevitable and may fall behind his draft peer group. Anyway, I don't like it but it's his decision to make, not mine.

I should add that Kiersted, Kawaguchi, and JBD won't be returning. UND is losing three of it's best players. We may see a year of regression from Pinto

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

What you’re doing is totally irrelevant (and I mean prager too). You’re combining picks from completely different scouting staffs and scouting directors. If any team hit on every first and second they would be dynasties

Also pageau and Hoffman were home run picks. What are you on about?

Pageau was a 4th rounder. Sure, he and Hoffman amounted into good NHL players but neither are franchise altering players. Alfredsson on the other hand...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 38 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum