GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+5
wprager
Lagoon
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 41 ... 68  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 68]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

All I know is there seems to be a lot of arguments that support LA taking Stutzle over Byfield:

1. LA's prospect depth at center highly outweighs their depth on the wings
2. Button and other scouts ranking Stutzle ahead of Byfield
3. Marco Sturm's ties to Germany
4. Stutzle is more NHL ready than Byfield and LA may look to start competing next year if their success towards the end of last season was any indication.

The only argument for LA taking Byfield is that his ceiling is higher and his size/speed combo is a rarity in the NHL. That said, he's more raw and will need more polishing.

I think Byfield slides to us at which point I would be over the moon if we end up with him and Raymond

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:At 3, I absolutely would. At 5, with Rossi still available, I would be as well. Rossi is a buzz saw, on and off puck.

You would be in the extreme minority of Sens fan not liking that pick. Not that it matters (see how wrong people were about Zadina) but still.

Taking Rossi over Stutzle would be insanity.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:All I know is there seems to be a lot of arguments that support LA taking Stutzle over Byfield:

4. Stutzle is more NHL ready than Byfield and LA may look to start competing next year if their success towards the end of last season was any indication.

The only argument for LA taking Byfield is that his ceiling is higher and his size/speed combo is a rarity in the NHL. That said, he's more raw and will need more polishing.

I think Byfield slides to us at which point I would be over the moon if we end up with him and Raymond

The centre/wing argument is irrelevant to me because it's not like Lafreniere where you know he is only a LW.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:At 3, I absolutely would. At 5, with Rossi still available, I would be as well. Rossi is a buzz saw, on and off puck.

You would be in the extreme minority of Sens fan not liking that pick. Not that it matters (see how wrong people were about Zadina) but still.

I know lots of people that feel the same as me and they aren’t Rossi’s friends and family

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:All I know is there seems to be a lot of arguments that support LA taking Stutzle over Byfield:

Byfield and Raymond is a dream combo for me. Short of getting 1st and 2nd overall, those two are it for me.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

It is what it is, which is basically an endless circular debate worded countless different ways.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
Ev wrote:

I know lots of people that feel the same as me and they aren’t Rossi’s friends and family

I know lots of people who think Covid is a hoax.

We can all have opinions but when every single NHL team we know of so far has Stutzle top 3, it would be farfetched to pick Rossi over Stutzle in my opinion. There's very little chance of the happening, pretty much zero.

But you're right, I don't want to debate the same thing for months so let's leave it at that. Nobody's opinion will change from now until the draft unless something weird happens.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

If you believe or think you know NHL teams actual private list, I have news for you. That’s like believing CNN.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:If you believe or think you know NHL teams actual private list, I have news for you. That’s like believing CNN.

We know for a fact that 10/10 teams polled by McKenzie have Laf and Stutzle top 3. No reason for them to make it up on an anonymous list.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Im not concerned about Rossi's size in the NHL but I am concerned about his size at center. I am not sure he can hold up to the abuse centers take in front of the net. I have the same concern for Stutzle who is 6'1" I believe. It takes a certain kind of crazy to stand in front of the net which I don't think Stutzle has - hence my belief that he won't translate as a center. As for Rossi, I am not suggesting that he won't stand in front of the net to deflect pucks and fight for rebounds, but a center at 5'9" and 180 lbs is going to get tossed around.

Pageau is a good example. He's gritty, he's tough, he plays a 200 ft game, and he has a high hockey IQ, but he tops out as a 3C on a good team because of his size. However - Rossi is more talented and may be better suited as a top-six winger who drives the net.

Last edited by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Right, and Byfield is 6 on some of those scouts lists. That’s a list I trust.

I’m sticking with my own list. I’ve done the work. I’ve stuck my neck out.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Im not concerned about Rossi's size in the NHL but I am concerned about his size at center. I am not sure he can hold up to the abuse centers take in front of the net. I have the same concern for Stutzle who is 6'1" I believe. It takes a certain kind of crazy to stand in front of the net which I don't think Stutzle has - hence my belief that he won't translate as a center. As for Rossi, I am not suggesting that he won't stand in front of the net to deflect pucks and fight for rebounds, but a center at 5'9" and 180 lbs is going to get tossed around.

Pageau is a good example. He's gritty, he's tough, he plays a 200 ft game, and he has a high hockey IQ, but he tops out as a 3C on a good team because of his size. However - Rossi is more talented and may be better suited on the wing as a net driver.  

Haha. Stutzle can’t even stand still on a PP at the blueline. There isn’t a gene in his body that will see him stand anywhere near the crease and take any form of abuse. Laughing3

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Rossi will be the one initiating contact. He does it all the time and he thrives on it. He’s a beast.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Rossi will be the one initiating contact. He does it all the time and he thrives on it. He’s a beast.

Just keep in mind he's doing that in the OHL and he's a hydrant out there. But in the NHL he's still a small fry. I think he'd be more effective on the wing and play a similar game to Marchand or Gallagher either on the top-line or as a two-way forward. I'm not discounting his skill but his size would have me concerned.

I know Brayden Point is a good comparison for Rossi as well so I am happy to be wrong here.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Right, and Byfield is 6 on some of those scouts lists. That’s a list I trust.

Your arrogance is amusing.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

From what I've seen, Stutzle does not shy away from contact either and plays a bit physical.

Stutzle would have obliterated the OHL just like Rossi. Hard to compare the two stats-wise.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:From what I've seen, Stutzle does not shy away from contact either and plays a bit physical.

Stutzle would have obliterated the OHL just like Rossi. Hard to compare the two stats-wise.

Stats-wise I agree. You can't compare then. And I've only seen limited film on Stutzle so I can't really comment but from what I know and read, Rossi is a north/south player and Stutzle is more of a perimeter guy who uses his hands, not his size, to get to the inside.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Right, and Byfield is 6 on some of those scouts lists. That’s a list I trust.

Your arrogance is amusing.

Button and the NHL scouts he speaks with have put their work in too, and I trust their opinions a lot more than I trust someone's on GMHockey. It's no disrespect to anyone here but we're all fans who aren't fully engaged, traveling around the world, and analyzing film 24/7 as a profession. I respect Lagoon's opinion whether it's arrogant or not. I also respect Tim's, Walter's and everyone else on here's opinions.  At this point, I'm done commenting and reading up on prospects. We'll see what happens on draft day. LA has done a tremendous job getting talent through the draft over the past 5 years so I doubt they'll blow it on a 2nd overall pick. They know what they're doing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 68]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 41 ... 68  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum