GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+5
wprager
Lagoon
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 68  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 68]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

From what I've seen, Stutzle does not shy away from contact either and plays a bit physical.

Stutzle would have obliterated the OHL just like Rossi. Hard to compare the two stats-wise.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:From what I've seen, Stutzle does not shy away from contact either and plays a bit physical.

Stutzle would have obliterated the OHL just like Rossi. Hard to compare the two stats-wise.

Stats-wise I agree. You can't compare then. And I've only seen limited film on Stutzle so I can't really comment but from what I know and read, Rossi is a north/south player and Stutzle is more of a perimeter guy who uses his hands, not his size, to get to the inside.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Right, and Byfield is 6 on some of those scouts lists. That’s a list I trust.

I’m sticking with my own list. I’ve done the work. I’ve stuck my neck out.

Your arrogance is amusing.

Button and the NHL scouts he speaks with have put their work in too, and I trust their opinions a lot more than I trust someone's on GMHockey. It's no disrespect to anyone here but we're all fans who aren't fully engaged, traveling around the world, and analyzing film 24/7 as a profession. I respect Lagoon's opinion whether it's arrogant or not. I also respect Tim's, Walter's and everyone else on here's opinions.  At this point, I'm done commenting and reading up on prospects. We'll see what happens on draft day. LA has done a tremendous job getting talent through the draft over the past 5 years so I doubt they'll blow it on a 2nd overall pick. They know what they're doing.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Absolutely. LA doesn’t make many poor decisions in drafting recently. They are one of the teams I’ve followed very closely since moving away from Ottawa. Their drafting is elite. But imagine yourself paying Doughty 11 million a year for the next 7. Facepalm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd rather pay doughty that than Karlsson if I'm being honest.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like Rossi's work ethic a lot. Work ethic goes a long way.

As much as I want drysdale, I wouldn't be upset with Rossi and Stutzle

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Absolutely. LA doesn’t make many poor decisions in drafting recently. They are one of the teams I’ve followed very closely since moving away from Ottawa. Their drafting is elite. But imagine yourself paying Doughty 11 million a year for the next 7. Facepalm

And at least they didn't give up a boatload to acquire him. That Karlsson trade is looking like one of the most lop-sided trades in Sens history. It's definitely up for debate with the other being the Yashin trade of course which I will argue is still a better trade.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, we hit a homer with that Karlsson trade despite not fully realizing it at the time.

There's still no debate though, that Yashin trade was our greatest.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:I'd rather pay doughty that than Karlsson if I'm being honest.

i haven't given up on Karlsson. i'm not sure he's best suited to succeed in San Jose though. i'll be surprised if he's still playing there in 4 years time.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:

i haven't given up on Karlsson. i'm not sure he's best suited to succeed in San Jose though. i'll be surprised if he's still playing there in 4 years time.

Might look good in Seattle

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

https://theprospectnetwork.ca/2020/05/05/head-2-head-byfield-vs-stutzle/ Good read. Not sure how accurate but it was interesting.

The hockeywriter's also have Stutzle ahead of Byfield

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Might look good in Seattle

oh boy. that's some wild move right there of the highest order.

things can go two ways with Karlsson.
1: he can keep getting injured all the time and be a cap liability every year because he can't play on a regular basis.
2: He regains his form and regains his status as a number 1 blueliner.

of course, there's room for the in-between but that's a bigger discussion.

I kind of feel that with 6 more years to go at such a high cap hit, he kind of starts to lean on the Negative value side of things.
we'll have to see what kind of year Karlsson has next year to assess if he lies on the side of a deep negative or positive value.
thankfully Seattle wouldn't have to make that decision just yet. also with Karlsson's NMC, he'd have to want to go. there could be a deal in there for sure but it also depends on how bad or good the sharks are next year. if they're (and him) are bad, they won't part ways with him by paying with a 1st for Seattle to take him. if they're good (and he's good) they won't want to part with him just yet.

i was kind of thinking that Karlsson gets moved in 3-4 years to a cup contender while SJS eats some salary in a deal.
I'll tell you what. i don't like where the sharks stand. not a deep system and guys are aging and their window is closed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Even if Karlsson gets anywhere near his peak, is he worth anywhere near $11.5M given that the cap will remain around $80 for the next couple years? He's got ridiculous signing bonuses in the next 3 years ($10M, $9M, $10M). Not sure how buyouts work wrt bonuses. If there's a compliance buyout *before* his next signing bonus, that may be the best time to buy him out, which would be a very risky move. His actual salary does not go down significant until the last 2 years of that monster contract.

Buy him out now and save the most money you can.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I think there is zero chance of a Karlsson buyout anytime soon. Especially with the optics of Ottawa drafting Byfield with the pick Karlsson was traded for. GM’s are far too short sighted.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't disagree. No buyout until there is a new GM, at the very least.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Even if Karlsson gets anywhere near his peak, is he worth anywhere near $11.5M given that the cap will remain around $80 for the next couple years? He's got ridiculous signing bonuses in the next 3 years ($10M, $9M, $10M). Not sure how buyouts work wrt bonuses.  If there's a compliance buyout *before* his next signing bonus, that may be the best time to buy him out, which would be a very risky move. His actual salary does not go down significant until the last 2 years of that monster contract.

Buy him out now and save the most money you can.

9 months off for Karlsson (March to December) plus his injury time off this past season may do wonders for a career resurrection

Last edited by DefenceWinsChampionships on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:https://theprospectnetwork.ca/2020/05/05/head-2-head-byfield-vs-stutzle/ Good read. Not sure how accurate but it was interesting.

The hockeywriter's also have Stutzle ahead of Byfield

It's a 50 50 split for most of the accredited scouts and writers. Amazing how much Stutzle has rocketed up.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

i'm just happy to be getting one of them

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 68]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 68  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum