GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+6
Lagoon
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Quote: 50-60 points on a second line isn't bad and that's his ceiling

Umm, what? 6'6" with hands, moved and hockey IQ, and you think 50-60 points is his ceiling? Tierney put up 55!

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:I must say, Dorion handled things really well in terms of not only sending Brown down to the AHL, but then properly answering questions as to why he did it and that the organization really believes in him.

One day I dream of a Brown/Batherson line, but for now I'm happy to see that they're taking pride in developing players properly.

I think Brown is heading into "bust" territory.  If he doesn't start putting up decent AHL #s pretty quickly, he's getting buried in the depth chart in a hurry.

Brown?  I don't see who will bury him in depth personally.  And 42 points in 56 AHL games in his first pro season, which was unfortunately mired with injury for Brown, is very solid IMO.

Yeah I don’t see how Brown is buried as we do not have a legit top line C prospect in the system. There could be a case made for Norris but he’s likely capped at 2C at best.

But he might bust. If he never finds that second gear  and speed that’s needed at the NHL.
It’s still why I feel we lack an elite/star C prospect in the system. Picking number 2 would be great this year.

Brown is Spezza. Everyone was knocking Spezza for the exact same reasons. And if we're knocking Brown because of speed, look at Thornton. He put up 51 points last year. He's slow as molasses. He'll find his way into the lineup the second there is an injury if not he'll finish the year up here when Pageau/Tierney is traded. He's not suited for a bottom-six role and we're seeing in Toronto what fitting an offensive player into a checking role does. He will be fine. He may never put up 80 points, but 50-60 points on a second line isn't bad and that's his ceiling.

I agree that picking #2 is best case for Ottawa. Unless they're serious about moving Tkachuk to C. Then #1 all the way!

I disagree, speed counts more than it used to. Brown is gonna have to develop a lot more to reach Thornton. And he wouldn’t get the amount of respect Thornton does. If he doesn’t up his tempo and intensity he won’t last long on this team and will wind up getting traded when his value is down.

Again, I’m not saying he busts, I just think the distance he has to reach his ceiling is a lot bigger than Dorion is letting on. He’s just not showing that drive that all other rookies do when they are trying to make the team. Chlapik showed some he was ready in the pre-season. Brown did not.

I don’t see tkachuk getting moved to the C. He’s better suited as a hard Donkey winger.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Quote:  50-60 points on a second line isn't bad and that's his ceiling

Umm, what? 6'6" with hands, moved and hockey IQ, and you think 50-60 points is his ceiling? Tierney put up 55!

65 points? I had Brown as a 20 g 40 a type of guy. Ottawa gets a lot of scoring from the dmen and I don't expect that to change. He'll get a lot of PP points but not that many off the rush because of his speed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Again...he put on a ton of muscle and he's still adapting to the NHL speed. He put up major points last year in his first year of pro and should have a really good start to his season.

This is a good call by Ottawa - and someone that should be joining him is Brannstrom, but w/e.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Again...he put on a ton of muscle and he's still adapting to the NHL speed.  He put up major points last year in his first year of pro and should have a really good start to his season.

This is a good call by Ottawa - and someone that should be joining him is Brannstrom, but w/e.

Major points? It was decent but not amazing. He’s been. Slow developing player. Obviously injuries have factored into this

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think Flea was taking about Tkachuk.

As for Brown, I think his *ceiling* is well North of 60. Whether he reaches it or not is the question.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I think Flea was taking about Tkachuk.

As for Brown, I think his *ceiling* is well North of 60. Whether he reaches it or not is the question.

I think his ceiling is around 80 points or so as a C, but he’s got to put the final pieces of the puzzle to make it happen. Not being able to carry at the pace of play and not allowing himself to coast is a big part of where he winds up. The skill is there.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Again...he put on a ton of muscle and he's still adapting to the NHL speed.  He put up major points last year in his first year of pro and should have a really good start to his season.

Major points? It was decent but not amazing. He’s been. Slow developing player. Obviously injuries have factored into this

Yeah, injuries definitely factor in. He's in and out of the lineup and still producing. If he puts up numbers again in the ahl, I think he'll be a solid producer.

I dont find batherson looks great yet either, remember.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Disappointing game, but not unexpected, there's too much offensive power on Toronto. The disallowed goal really stung and would have at least given them a buffer when Toronto attacked.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Batherson had a brutal game. Invisible yet a -4

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Can you guys now stop having expectations for Anisimov yet? Regular season NHL is not preseason NHL. It was unbearable reading the preseason drool.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

First they get the good taken away, then they let up and get scored on 34 seconds later. Oof!

I really would like the outside time changed so that you can't straddle the line. You're onside if both skates are no further than the blue line. If either skate is in the white your offside. Sage thing in the tag up - you have to completely clear the zone. I'd even go as far as saying you have to have both skates in the white on the other side to tag up.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lagoon wrote:Can you guys now stop having expectations for Anisimov yet? Regular season NHL is not preseason NHL. It was unbearable reading the preseason drool.

It's 1 game.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I mean this went about how I would expect, especially for the home opener in Toronto. It sucks we still give up a billion shots and get dominated possession-wise, but that's just how it's going to be the majority of then games this season.

It was great seeing Sabourin getting his first goal in his first game though.

Yeah, once that goal got called back, the writing was on the wall if it wasn't there already.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So the Sens have tweaked their forward lines a bit at practice today:

Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Duclair - Pageau - C. Brown
Ennis - Tierney - Sabourin
Boedker - Anisimov - Chlapik
Batherson

If Batherson starts sitting after one bad game, people are gonna lose it. Don't do what Boucher did. Play the kids lots and if they can't handle it yet, get em down to the AHL.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:So the Sens have tweaked their forward lines a bit at practice today:

Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Duclair - Pageau - C. Brown
Ennis - Tierney - Sabourin
Boedker - Anisimov - Chlapik
Batherson

If Batherson starts sitting after one bad game, people are gonna lose it.  Don't do what Boucher did.  Play the kids lots and if they can't handle it yet, get em down to the AHL.

Yeah, please play Batherson where Ryan is and let him go. If he can handle it, then that's great, if he can't then he can develop more in the AHL. This sitting him or playing him 10 minutes won't do.

And Boedker shouldn't have been a scratch. These are some very strange decisions. And Sabourin should only be on the 4th line getting 5 minutes a game.

I mean...there's not much to like about Cussing with the lines after 1 game and not playing one of your best young forwards properly. Hopefully Smith gets it together.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Can't really complain about Sabourin and Ryan on a night they both scored can we?

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Can't really complain about Sabourin and Ryan on a night they both scored can we?

Meh, Ryan was adequate - and the goal he scored was when the game was done. He needs to cut out the superfluous roundabout ways he takes to pucks, which can also look dangerously like he doesn't give a Dung. I see him as a 3rd liner at this point.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum