GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+6
Lagoon
PTFlea
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 54 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 42 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Logan Brown was the 5th center taken in his draft year, then he missed huge chunks of two seasons which stunted his development.

Byfield will be the first center in what is expected to be one of the best drafts ever.  "3 most likely 4 years" is unlikely.

I hope they keep him in juniors an extra year. wouldn't hurt. by many accounts he's still quite raw in comparison as to what he projects to be. I have heard analysts (such as Mcguire) say that they think he could play in the NHL next season. I don't like that personally. seems like it's another way that could stunt his development. but i tend to agree. he's likely to make the jump to the NHL as a 20-year-old. not sure about him jumping straight into the top 6 though.

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Byfield will be the first center in what is expected to be one of the best drafts ever.  "3 most likely 4 years" is unlikely.

I fail to see why you think your first sentence automatically means your second sentence should be accurate.

Byfield is one of the youngest players in the draft. Add that to physiology and the immense skillset of Byfield and you’ve got a perfect opportunity to slowly mold a franchise player.

It’s my guess that even with normal progression, Byfield is 3-4 years away from giving us more than Logan Brown could be giving us in 3-4 years.

Anyway, if we draft Byfield, I will gladly continue more discussion and my realistic love affair with him

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

IMO Byfield will be in the nhl full time next year. Depending on what the OHL does, he could play OHL and world juniors to start the year before the NhL even starts their 2020-2021 season.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:IMO Byfield will be in the nhl full time next year. Depending on what the OHL does, he could play OHL and world juniors to start the year before the NhL even starts their 2020-2021 season.

he turns 18 in august. hard to see him in the nhl next year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:IMO Byfield will be in the nhl full time next year. Depending on what the OHL does, he could play OHL and world juniors to start the year before the NhL even starts their 2020-2021 season.

he doesn't have much to learn from going back. It wouldn't hurt him, but doesn't help much. IMO he'd be better off playing with better players.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:

he doesn't have much to learn from going back. It wouldn't hurt him, but doesn't help much. IMO he'd be better off playing with better players.

That’s why I mentioned to not be surprised if he goes overseas, but going back to the O wouldn’t be so bad. He has more to do there and hopefully on a better team. But you are right, depending on when the season gets started, he may already have months of better competition and he could surprise all. Well not all, me.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Agreed. He’s nowhere near ready and won’t be what people want him to be for 3-4 years in my opinion.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:

Agreed. He’s nowhere near ready and won’t be what people want him to be for 3-4 years in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with 3-4 years but his success in junior was that he was exceptionally big and fast given his size. In the NHL he's big but not exceptionally big. Will take time to translate that size to the NHL. No point rushing him IMO

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:

he won't be what he will be in 3-4 years but look at guys like Thornton, Seguin etc who started off doing nothing in the NHL but it still prepared them for stardom. We'll see.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I also agree Rossi is more NHL ready but his ceiling isn't as high.

Heard on the radio our magic number in the draft is seven. We don't want our two combined pick to equal more than 7 (ie: 2 and 6, 5 and 6, etc). We'd be okay with 1 and 6, 2 and 5, etc

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I also agree Rossi is more NHL ready but his ceiling isn't as high.

Heard on the radio our magic number in the draft is seven. We don't want our two combined pick to equal more than 7 (ie: 2 and 6, 5 and 6, etc). We'd be okay with 1 and 6, 2 and 5, etc

7 is exactly what I was thinking when the plan cane out.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I also agree Rossi is more NHL ready but his ceiling isn't as high.

really any combination of 7 i'd be happy with

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

All Rossi all day for me with our second 1st. I think his ceiling is high. 100-point potential.

I like Raymond too.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Lagoon wrote:

really any combination of 7 i'd be happy with

Yup. Nothing worse. Happy at 7. Elated with less than 7. Burn the world at greater than.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

pretty sure i'd be thrilled to get 2 and 6 lol

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

2 and 6 isn’t possible.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sorry I read that in Defenses post. Nevermind

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lagoon wrote:
wprager wrote:Byfield will be the first center in what is expected to be one of the best drafts ever.  "3 most likely 4 years" is unlikely.

I fail to see why you think your first sentence automatically means your second sentence should be accurate.

Byfield is one of the youngest players in the draft. Add that to physiology and the immense skillset of Byfield and you’ve got a perfect opportunity to slowly mold a franchise player.

It’s my guess that even with normal progression, Byfield is 3-4 years away from giving us more than Logan Brown could be giving us in 3-4 years.

Anyway, if we draft Byfield, I will gladly continue more discussion and my realistic love affair with him

Based on past draft history 4 years seems too long. Spezza played 30+ games in his draft+2 year, even though the team was loaded as Jacques was prejudiced. Both Staals played a full season right away, same with Malkin and Seguin.

Looking at just centers who went second overall. It's unlikely that a center taken second overall takes more than 2 years to play full time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 42 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 54 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum