GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2018 NHL Entry Draft

+8
dennycrane
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Oglethorpe
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 41]

2262018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:The draft lottery is a Cussing farce. The only reason for giving Dung teams good players is to try and promote parity, which we have now because of the cap. Fix the cap loopholes and then establish a snake draft with the order skidding every year, so every team gets a first overall on a regular basis.

The still end up encouraging tanking (Leafs, Sabres) and often treats teams that would, in most other leagues, be fined.
This draft system is still messed up. It doesn’t stop franchises drafting first overalls all the time like Edmonton. I think all everyone wants is teams not to draft 1st overall over more than once in a 3 year period. Or have rules that pushes you out of the top 3 if you drafted there in the last 2 years. 
A lot of teams are pissed. Vancouver for one.
I’m not so annoyed to be drafting fourth but I’m annoyed to all hell with the current system. There ain’t no way Carolina should be drafting top 3 with where they ended the season.

2272018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

Been a long while since I've been here. Spent the majority of the last 4 years travelling all over gods green earth watching my kid play hockey and I've met my share of know it alls (including myself).

First let me say I agree with those that have said the draft lottery is a farce, and I also agree with Brian Burke. Burkie said he believe you shouldn't be in top 3 two years in a row ( a little harsh) but more I agree that the lottery should be contained to the bottom 6 teams. If you're not in the bottom 6 then you shouldn't have a shot at one of the top 3 picks.

Second, Ottawa may have lucked out finishing 4th. Brady Tkachuk is the player they desperately need. He is fast, mean and skilled and will only get better. He's what you want Zack Smith to be, but know he'll never get to.

Aside from the #1 pick, which Ottawa could really have used as it would solve the Karlsson issue (if they won I think Karlsson was gone for sure), finishing 4th means that Ottawa should get Tkachuk. Carolina picks 2nd and should take Svechnikov, because he is a home run player. He isn't a "generational" player like Dahlin but he is a home run star. He's a right Winger and both Carolina and Montreal desperattely need scoring at Right Wing.

Zadina is a pure scorer and should go 3 if he doesn't go 2nd. Again a right winger and would definately solve Montreals issue moving forward on the right side.

That leaves ottawa. We're not deep at RW but we can survive, Ryan, Dzingle, Stone that's a decent top 3 (I know Ryan has issues but he has skill), and they need depth at LW. Tkachuk is just what Ottawa needs, and drafting 4th, should given them the player they need but if they were drafting 2nd or 3rd they might feel obligated to take Svechnikov or Zadina because they are better, just not a better fit for Ottawa.

2282018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:25 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Another thing about the draft lottery it's how they the up picking. I'm a fairly smart guy, but from what was described on Twitter (yes, the character limit doesn't help) I must say I didn't understand. Numbered balls? Why not just have each ball with the logo of the team it represents. Have the number of balls representing each team's probability.

After picking the 1st overall, remove all the balls for that team, then draw for #2, and so on.

Or something different but equally simple.

2292018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

They don’t have logos on balls because they can be weighted. The 4 sequence number system achieves their lottery fairness.

2302018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:Been a long while since I've been here.  Spent the majority of the last 4 years travelling all over gods green earth watching my kid play hockey and I've met my share of know it alls (including myself).

First let me say I agree with those that have said the draft lottery is a farce, and I also agree with Brian Burke.  Burkie said he believe you shouldn't be in top 3 two years in a row ( a little harsh) but more I agree that the lottery should be contained to the bottom 6 teams.  If you're not in the bottom 6 then you shouldn't have a shot at one of the top 3 picks.

Second, Ottawa may have lucked out finishing 4th.  Brady Tkachuk is the player they desperately need.  He is fast, mean and skilled and will only get better.  He's what you want Zack Smith to be, but know he'll never get to.  

Aside from the #1 pick, which Ottawa could really have used as it would solve the Karlsson issue (if they won I think Karlsson was gone for sure), finishing 4th means that Ottawa should get Tkachuk.  Carolina picks 2nd and should take Svechnikov, because he is a home run player.  He isn't a "generational" player like Dahlin but he is a home run star.  He's a right Winger and both Carolina and Montreal desperattely need scoring at Right Wing.

Zadina is a pure scorer and should go 3 if he doesn't go 2nd.  Again a right winger and would definately solve Montreals issue moving forward on the right side.

That leaves ottawa.  We're not deep at RW but we can survive, Ryan, Dzingle, Stone that's a decent top 3 (I know Ryan has issues but he has skill), and they need depth at LW.  Tkachuk is just what Ottawa needs, and drafting 4th, should given them the player they need but if they were drafting 2nd or 3rd they might feel obligated to take Svechnikov or Zadina because they are better, just not a better fit for Ottawa.

Not a big fan of Brady Tkachuk. I’m sure he’ll be an NHLer but have my doubts on how good he’ll actually be. I find there are some intreaguing Dmen available around there. We can still get a skilled forward with the Penguins pick imo. Might have to tack another pick to move up if there’s a guy the org really likes but it could happen.
There’s also a chance the org secures another 1st by trading.

I still think kalrsson gets traded because the org seems dead set on this idea of a 4-5 year rebuild (weather you believe it will take that long is another story), and I don’t see kalrsson sticking around for that. I think a big part of why we are going into a rebuild is because it’s a cheaper avenue for ownership. I think players on the team can feel that too and kalrsson won’t be the last to leave.

2312018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I like him. I think he should stay at BU for another year, I just don’t know yet if I want to use our #4 overall on him depending on who is gone. He’s the oldest player in this draft and that needs to be factored in. He’s big and aggressive. Those are the only things he excels at in my opinion. Every other skillset that gets analyzed, he isn’t even top 10 in my opinion. I’d rather pass on him.

2322018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:49 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Flo The Action wrote:

Not a big fan of Brady Tkachuk. I’m sure he’ll be an NHLer but have my doubts on how good he’ll actually be. I find there are some intreaguing Dmen available around there. We can still get a skilled forward with the Penguins pick imo. Might have to tack another pick to move up if there’s a guy the org really likes but it could happen.

I still think kalrsson gets traded because the org seems dead set on this idea of a 4-5 year rebuild (weather you believe it will take that long is another story), and I don’t see kalrsson sticking around for that. I think a big part of why we are going into a rebuild is because it’s a cheaper avenue for ownership. I think players on the team can feel that too and kalrsson won’t be the last to leave.

I think if Ottawa takes a dman (which would be a shame because they are definately a step down in the talent pool) then Karlsson is gone. This association is in desperate need of a Centre and LW's that can play both scoring and power forwards. Taking a dman sets them back at least 2-3 years because they can't get an stud next year without a 1st round pick.

You're not going to get a forward anywhere as good as Tkachuk with the penguins pick, and the dmen are good but nowhere as good as Tkachuk.

2332018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I like him. I think he should stay at BU for another year, I just don’t know yet if I want to use our #4 overall on him depending on who is gone. He’s the oldest player in this draft and that needs to be factored in. He’s big and aggressive. Those are the only things he excels at in my opinion. Every other skillset that gets analyzed, he isn’t even top 10 in my opinion. I’d rather pass on him.
I didn’t even know about the age factor. That’s a very big factor. He’s a huge risk in terms of trying to knock it out of the park with that pick.
I’d take a lot of guys over him. ..You don’t spend a 4rth overall on a 3rd liner.

Unless a team like Montreal grabs him because of name recognition and some of the attributes, I could see him slide to the 6th spot.

2342018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think if Ottawa takes a dman (which would be a shame because they are definately a step down in the talent pool) then Karlsson is gone.  This association is in desperate need of a Centre and LW's that can play both scoring and power forwards.  Taking a dman sets them back at least 2-3 years because they can't get an stud next year without a 1st round pick.  

You're not going to get a forward anywhere as good as Tkachuk with the penguins pick, and the dmen are good but nowhere as good as Tkachuk.

I wouldn’t say that. Again, it’s evaluation vs evaluation. I don’t think Tkachuk pans out into a first line player or even second liner but some of those admen could be #2,3 guys.
I agree with you that Dmen can come out in later stages but do we really have any of them in the prospect pool? I’m not sure. Best case after chabot is #4,5 guys. 
Anyways, build from the back end and then get forwards. Karlsson is likely gone anyways.

2352018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 7:27 am

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think if Ottawa takes a dman (which would be a shame because they are definately a step down in the talent pool) then Karlsson is gone.  This association is in desperate need of a Centre and LW's that can play both scoring and power forwards.  Taking a dman sets them back at least 2-3 years because they can't get an stud next year without a 1st round pick.  

If you’ve been away for awhile, I hope you stay because you have solid contribution. While I agree our LW depth is is desperate need of bolstering, I like our centre depth. Brown’s OHL career is over and he will most likely be in the AHL next season. Same with Luchuk. Chlapik is already here and has proven he can be a regular in my opinion. Batherson has NHL tools. Hopefully Duchene and Pageau stick around.

2362018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

If you’ve been away for awhile, I hope you stay because you have solid contribution. While I agree our LW depth is is desperate need of bolstering, I like our centre depth. Brown’s OHL career is over and he will most likely be in the AHL next season. Same with Luchuk. Chlapik is already here and has proven he can be a regular in my opinion. Batherson has NHL tools. Hopefully Duchene and Pageau stick around.

I think the big takeaway from all this is we’ve got some possible depth on all sides(apart from solid D prospects past chabot) and this team won’t be competitive for a couple of years if we judge what the Sens plan is. So we could easily draft any position. My preferred pick would be a Dman but whatever position we fill will be fine.

2372018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

As of right now, I’m thinking Zadina might fall to us at 4.

2382018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

There was talk that both Carolina and Montreal want a skilled power forward. Makes a ton of sense for the Smurfs who have a bad history of being undersized and need that bigger presence in their lineup. If Svech falls to #3 I definitely think Montreal will take him but they may pass up on Zadina....

Brown, White and Tkachuk have probably all played together at some point. I know for sure that Brown and Tkachuk have. I'd be okay with him as a #4 but would definitely prefer Zadina over him if he's available. I think Ottawa would be foolish to take a d-man but think they may be able to get the player they want from Carolina using the Pitt 1st rd pick as leverage (4th and 30th for 2nd) - especially if Carolina doesn't care. Again, Tkachuk as #4 isn't the worst case scenario.

Ottawa could also probably get another top fifteen pick for Ceci. RHD are in high demand. If Ottawa is willing to re-sign Wideman as their #4 d-man (with Chabot) and are okay playing Wolanin, Harpur, Boro as their bottom pairing then they may elect to move Ceci. Another option would be a lateral move one-for-one with Chicago for Connor Murphy. The Rangers 9th overall pick could also be up for grabs as could the Oilers #10 (if the right player is still there would the Sens trade Hoffman to the Oilers?).

Dorion is a trigger happy GM. I see a lot of different scenarios shaking out. This is the same GM that moved up one spot to get Logan Brown. I would not be surprised to see him move up into the top three. As far as I am concerned the Pitt 1st is a throw away and is totally worth giving up if it means getting Zadina or Svechnikov. The key to that trade was Gustavsson and a pick (for Cole). Brass has done nothing for Pitt which has been nice to see.

The opposite side of this argument is the fact that Ottawa is set with forward prospects. Chlapik, Brown, White, Batherson, Formenton and to a lesser extent Perron, Paul and Gagne. As far as defensive prospects go Ottawa is pretty thin. All this could change if Karlsson is dealt as well. Should be a fun (and terrifying) summer.

2392018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 4:08 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Flo The Action wrote:
I wouldn’t say that. Again, it’s evaluation vs evaluation. I don’t think Tkachuk pans out into a first line player or even second liner but some of those admen could be #2,3 guys.
I agree with you that Dmen can come out in later stages but do we really have any of them in the prospect pool? I’m not sure. Best case after chabot is #4,5 guys. 
Anyways, build from the back end and then get forwards. Karlsson is likely gone anyways.

God I miss talking hockey. I took a role in an organization and had to step away from boards like this. I've since moved on and now I get to voice my opinion. Your points are valid. It really comes down to how you view our d corps. I think we're good. I really think Crawford did the dmen a disservice this year, and as a result Harpur, Claesson, and some might argue Ceci suffered as a result.

I'm betting under a change in coaches, or at least a change in coaching philosophy Harpur, and Claesson regain the promise we had 2 years ago, and Wolanin is showing signs of being a 2/3 player in a couple of years. If you keep Karlsson then you have 5 there and can fill in your 6/7 guys from free agency with minimal expense.

I full expect Gaborik to be bought out this year so cap room will be at a premium, and while I hope that Brown will step in, he certainly has the skills, but there are HUGE!!! issues with his maturity. He is very close to having worn out his welcome, and he's literally on the verge of being traded out of Ottawa if there are not significant changes with his attitude.

Good news is Batherson and Forementon both look like NHLers.

So the question is does Ottawa believe in Harpur, Claesson, and Wolanin and if not then you're right a dman it likely will be. If either RW drops to 4 then they have to take him, and then maybe push Ryan to the left side?? I think both Zadina and Svechnikov can start in the NHL next year.

No matter what, Dorion has said he's not making a move on Karlsson until after July 1st...so based on what they do at the draft it will tell you how close negotiations are.

2402018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

God I miss talking hockey.  I took a role in an organization and had to step away from boards like this.  I've since moved on and now I get to voice my opinion.  Your points are valid.   It really comes down to how you view our d corps.  I think we're good.  I really think Crawford did the dmen a disservice this year, and as a result Harpur, Claesson, and some might argue Ceci suffered as a result.  

I'm betting under a change in coaches, or at least a change in coaching philosophy Harpur, and Claesson regain the promise we had 2 years ago, and Wolanin is showing signs of being a 2/3 player in a couple of years.  If you keep Karlsson then you have 5 there and can fill in your 6/7 guys from free agency with minimal expense.  

I full expect Gaborik to be bought out this year so cap room will be at a premium, and while I hope that Brown will step in, he certainly has the skills, but there are HUGE!!! issues with his maturity.  He is very close to having worn out his welcome, and he's literally on the verge of being traded out of Ottawa if there are not significant changes with his attitude.  

So the question is does Ottawa believe in Harpur, Claesson, and Wolanin and if not then you're right a dman it likely will be.  If either RW drops to 4 then they have to take him, and then maybe push Ryan to the left side??  I think both Zadina and Svechnikov can start in the NHL next year.  

No matter what, Dorion has said he's not making a move on Karlsson until after July 1st...so based on what they do at the draft it will tell you how close negotiations are.
Issues with Brown and his maturity? Care to give us a run down on that point?

2412018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Flo The Action wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

God I miss talking hockey.  I took a role in an organization and had to step away from boards like this.  I've since moved on and now I get to voice my opinion.  Your points are valid.   It really comes down to how you view our d corps.  I think we're good.  I really think Crawford did the dmen a disservice this year, and as a result Harpur, Claesson, and some might argue Ceci suffered as a result.  

I'm betting under a change in coaches, or at least a change in coaching philosophy Harpur, and Claesson regain the promise we had 2 years ago, and Wolanin is showing signs of being a 2/3 player in a couple of years.  If you keep Karlsson then you have 5 there and can fill in your 6/7 guys from free agency with minimal expense.  

I full expect Gaborik to be bought out this year so cap room will be at a premium, and while I hope that Brown will step in, he certainly has the skills, but there are HUGE!!! issues with his maturity.  He is very close to having worn out his welcome, and he's literally on the verge of being traded out of Ottawa if there are not significant changes with his attitude.  

So the question is does Ottawa believe in Harpur, Claesson, and Wolanin and if not then you're right a dman it likely will be.  If either RW drops to 4 then they have to take him, and then maybe push Ryan to the left side??  I think both Zadina and Svechnikov can start in the NHL next year.  

I'll try to get more info..I just know someone in the organization who is intimate with the team. I often try not to pry into things as I don't like looking like a gossip hound, but this person is like ef hutton. When he does speak of a player or situation it's either really good or really bad and Brown is not a positive thing.

2422018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I find that hard to believe. Brown comes from a hockey family as his dad had an extensive NHL career and more recently used to be the GM and coach of the 67’s. The Sens familiarity with Logan dates back many years before he was drafted. He’s a player they know and know very well. I believe he even used to train with the Sens in the offseasons prior to even being draft eligible. The Sens paid a heavy price to draft him when they gave up a 3rd to New Jersey just to move up one spot in the 1st round to select Logan. A lot can happen in two years however, and I don’t know the reasons for his trade in the OHL, but all I see is on-ice progress and a cushy spot waiting for him in Belleville next year.

2432018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 16 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I was disappointed today to hear the coaches were staying, but I do expect a short leash. I too, like Dorion said today, believe this year was a one-off and think that Karlsson’s rehab from injury, Wideman and Boro getting hurt, killed us more than anyone gives those losses credit. I think we will be a playoff team by simply changing nothing except adding our youth and better player deployment. I’m looking at you Burrows, Gaborik, and basically everything Boucher did wrong as well.
I think Zadina may fall to us if Carolina or Montreal see Tkachuk as their saviour. Again, he’s good, but context should be given with him and taking him before Svechnikov and Zadina is a mistake in my opinion. Without downplaying Tkachuk too much because he is good, he is basically Tom Wilson but much much faster. Us taking him at 4, that’s another story for my eventual mock.
And yeah, Batherson is heading to the QMJHL finals and would love to see him in the Memorial Cup. Formenton, I can’t see how he doesn’t make the Sens again next season. Unless they want him to try and Luchuk the OHL next year. My guess is the youth movement is here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum