GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2018 NHL Entry Draft

+8
dennycrane
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Oglethorpe
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 41]

2112018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:I'd think about Boqvist personally, although we all see that Tkachuck is the kind of player needed in playoffs.  Interesting pick.  Plus Montreal is legitimately challenged and will probably pick someone stupid or trade the pick for chara.

Tbh I think the Sens could go with Boqvist. I’d be happy with that at 4.

Or this may be the year the Sens can actually trade down a couple of spots if the return is something very intriguing.

2122018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

By the sounds of Dorion it sounds like they will go after a forward that are ranked in the top 5. So likely no Boqvist. They best resign Kalrsson for diddles sake.

2132018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:17 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It sucks that Dahlin will be in the division, but at least it will be for Buffalo and not Montreal. Buffalo has a decent young group there if they can manage to not F it up. I'm still not sold on Eichel as a franchise guy, but we'll see. I think there might be attitude issues.

Anyway, the Sens have lots of great prospects to pick from at #4, but inside the top 3 would've been so much nicer. Dung.

2142018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:18 am

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I haven’t started my mock yet, but I think Carolina will take Tkachuk at 2. They are on record saying they want big, mean and tough.

2152018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I’d be happy with Svechnikov, Bouchard or Wahlstrom in that order. I think MTL might reach for Boqvist which would be great as I want no part of taking him.

2162018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:25 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:I'd think about Boqvist personally, although we all see that Tkachuck is the kind of player needed in playoffs.  Interesting pick.  Plus Montreal is legitimately challenged and will probably pick someone stupid or trade the pick for chara.

Tbh I think the Sens could go with Boqvist. I’d be happy with that at 4.

Or this may be the year the Sens can actually trade down a couple of spots if the return is something very intriguing.

I don't know that much about these guys, but hell Bouchard is big, offensive minded, can apparently play in his own zone. Sounds awesome

2172018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:25 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Maybe go out and get a lefty who can play with Bouchard and help him as we have no one

2182018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why is tkachuck so highly rated? A 17 in college doing OK or is he projected to be something special? Nothing special about those numbers

2192018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:07 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Why is tkachuck so highly rated?   A 17 in college doing OK or is he projected to be something special?  Nothing special about those numbers

I dunno. Never seen him play. One of his big assets is his physical play and size. We could certainly use a big, strong forward in the top 6 with some attitude...I'm just not sure that's how we want to spend the 4th overall pick. One thing about the Tkachuk's is that they don't lack confidence.

2202018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:39 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:I’d be happy with Svechnikov, Bouchard or Wahlstrom in that order.  I think MTL might reach for Boqvist which would be great as I want no part of taking him.  

No way that happens now. Maybe had they picked later on but they will not pass by some highly gifted scorers. Montreal loves their goal scorers. The only way Montreal doesn’t draft zadina or svenchnikov is if Dahlin falls and that ain’t happening.

2212018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:44 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Why is tkachuck so highly rated?   A 17 in college doing OK or is he projected to be something special?  Nothing special about those numbers

I dunno.  Never seen him play.  One of his big assets is his physical play and size.  We could certainly use a big, strong forward in the top 6 with some attitude...I'm just not sure that's how we want to spend the 4th overall pick.  One thing about the Tkachuk's is that they don't lack confidence.

That’s the whole point. You can get a guy like tkachuk later in a draft in the 2nd round.
You need highly gifted guys in the first 5 picks.

I’m usually in the camp that unless you have a generational Dman in the top 5 you pick a super skilled forward because you can find amazing Dmen later on in the 1st or 2nd round. More often then not I find it’s easier to hit a home run in the early 1st round with a forward then with Dmen but I feel this year might be different with that top 4. Tkachuk is a guy you pass on with 4. Unless one of the top 2 forward drops to 4 you go for a Dman. You might be able to get a special forward with that Pitts pick. Might even package a pick to move up of make a trade on the draft flor for another 1st.
We’ll see.

2222018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:06 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Still not over the Habs passing us by in the lottery. There’s no justice in this world.
We all know they’re just gonna Diddle up whatever they get.

2232018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lagoon wrote:I haven’t started my mock yet, but I think Carolina will take Tkachuk at 2. They are on record saying they want big, mean and tough.

Summer tweeted about Carolina and connection to Tkachuk:

Good chance Carolina or Montreal take Tkachuk before Ottawa picks at 4. Bergevin played with Keith Tkachuk in St Louis, and Waddell had him with Atlanta & USA hockey. Both clubs are looking for a power forward. Who ever takes him, should leave him at BU.

2242018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The draft lottery is a Cussing farce. The only reason for giving Dung teams good players is to try and promote parity, which we have now because of the cap. Fix the cap loopholes and then establish a snake draft with the order skidding every year, so every team gets a first overall on a regular basis.

The still end up encouraging tanking (Leafs, Sabres) and often treats teams that would, in most other leagues, be fined.

2252018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Lagoon wrote:I haven’t started my mock yet, but I think Carolina will take Tkachuk at 2. They are on record saying they want big, mean and tough.

Summer tweeted about Carolina and connection to Tkachuk:

Good chance Carolina or Montreal take Tkachuk before Ottawa picks at 4. Bergevin played with Keith Tkachuk in St Louis, and Waddell had him with Atlanta & USA hockey. Both clubs are looking for a power forward. Who ever takes him, should leave him at BU.
Man. One can only hope!!!

2262018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:The draft lottery is a Cussing farce. The only reason for giving Dung teams good players is to try and promote parity, which we have now because of the cap. Fix the cap loopholes and then establish a snake draft with the order skidding every year, so every team gets a first overall on a regular basis.

The still end up encouraging tanking (Leafs, Sabres) and often treats teams that would, in most other leagues, be fined.
This draft system is still messed up. It doesn’t stop franchises drafting first overalls all the time like Edmonton. I think all everyone wants is teams not to draft 1st overall over more than once in a 3 year period. Or have rules that pushes you out of the top 3 if you drafted there in the last 2 years. 
A lot of teams are pissed. Vancouver for one.
I’m not so annoyed to be drafting fourth but I’m annoyed to all hell with the current system. There ain’t no way Carolina should be drafting top 3 with where they ended the season.

2272018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Been a long while since I've been here. Spent the majority of the last 4 years travelling all over gods green earth watching my kid play hockey and I've met my share of know it alls (including myself).

First let me say I agree with those that have said the draft lottery is a farce, and I also agree with Brian Burke. Burkie said he believe you shouldn't be in top 3 two years in a row ( a little harsh) but more I agree that the lottery should be contained to the bottom 6 teams. If you're not in the bottom 6 then you shouldn't have a shot at one of the top 3 picks.

Second, Ottawa may have lucked out finishing 4th. Brady Tkachuk is the player they desperately need. He is fast, mean and skilled and will only get better. He's what you want Zack Smith to be, but know he'll never get to.

Aside from the #1 pick, which Ottawa could really have used as it would solve the Karlsson issue (if they won I think Karlsson was gone for sure), finishing 4th means that Ottawa should get Tkachuk. Carolina picks 2nd and should take Svechnikov, because he is a home run player. He isn't a "generational" player like Dahlin but he is a home run star. He's a right Winger and both Carolina and Montreal desperattely need scoring at Right Wing.

Zadina is a pure scorer and should go 3 if he doesn't go 2nd. Again a right winger and would definately solve Montreals issue moving forward on the right side.

That leaves ottawa. We're not deep at RW but we can survive, Ryan, Dzingle, Stone that's a decent top 3 (I know Ryan has issues but he has skill), and they need depth at LW. Tkachuk is just what Ottawa needs, and drafting 4th, should given them the player they need but if they were drafting 2nd or 3rd they might feel obligated to take Svechnikov or Zadina because they are better, just not a better fit for Ottawa.

2282018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another thing about the draft lottery it's how they the up picking. I'm a fairly smart guy, but from what was described on Twitter (yes, the character limit doesn't help) I must say I didn't understand. Numbered balls? Why not just have each ball with the logo of the team it represents. Have the number of balls representing each team's probability.

After picking the 1st overall, remove all the balls for that team, then draw for #2, and so on.

Or something different but equally simple.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 28 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum