GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2018 NHL Entry Draft

+8
dennycrane
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Oglethorpe
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 41]

2412018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

Flo The Action wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
I wouldn’t say that. Again, it’s evaluation vs evaluation. I don’t think Tkachuk pans out into a first line player or even second liner but some of those admen could be #2,3 guys.
I agree with you that Dmen can come out in later stages but do we really have any of them in the prospect pool? I’m not sure. Best case after chabot is #4,5 guys. 
Anyways, build from the back end and then get forwards. Karlsson is likely gone anyways.

God I miss talking hockey.  I took a role in an organization and had to step away from boards like this.  I've since moved on and now I get to voice my opinion.  Your points are valid.   It really comes down to how you view our d corps.  I think we're good.  I really think Crawford did the dmen a disservice this year, and as a result Harpur, Claesson, and some might argue Ceci suffered as a result.  

I'm betting under a change in coaches, or at least a change in coaching philosophy Harpur, and Claesson regain the promise we had 2 years ago, and Wolanin is showing signs of being a 2/3 player in a couple of years.  If you keep Karlsson then you have 5 there and can fill in your 6/7 guys from free agency with minimal expense.  

I full expect Gaborik to be bought out this year so cap room will be at a premium, and while I hope that Brown will step in, he certainly has the skills, but there are HUGE!!! issues with his maturity.  He is very close to having worn out his welcome, and he's literally on the verge of being traded out of Ottawa if there are not significant changes with his attitude.  

Good news is Batherson and Forementon both look like NHLers.

So the question is does Ottawa believe in Harpur, Claesson, and Wolanin and if not then you're right a dman it likely will be.  If either RW drops to 4 then they have to take him, and then maybe push Ryan to the left side??  I think both Zadina and Svechnikov can start in the NHL next year.  

No matter what, Dorion has said he's not making a move on Karlsson until after July 1st...so based on what they do at the draft it will tell you how close negotiations are.
Issues with Brown and his maturity? Care to give us a run down on that point?

I'll try to get more info..I just know someone in the organization who is intimate with the team. I often try not to pry into things as I don't like looking like a gossip hound, but this person is like ef hutton. When he does speak of a player or situation it's either really good or really bad and Brown is not a positive thing.

2422018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
I wouldn’t say that. Again, it’s evaluation vs evaluation. I don’t think Tkachuk pans out into a first line player or even second liner but some of those admen could be #2,3 guys.
I agree with you that Dmen can come out in later stages but do we really have any of them in the prospect pool? I’m not sure. Best case after chabot is #4,5 guys. 
Anyways, build from the back end and then get forwards. Karlsson is likely gone anyways.

God I miss talking hockey.  I took a role in an organization and had to step away from boards like this.  I've since moved on and now I get to voice my opinion.  Your points are valid.   It really comes down to how you view our d corps.  I think we're good.  I really think Crawford did the dmen a disservice this year, and as a result Harpur, Claesson, and some might argue Ceci suffered as a result.  

I'm betting under a change in coaches, or at least a change in coaching philosophy Harpur, and Claesson regain the promise we had 2 years ago, and Wolanin is showing signs of being a 2/3 player in a couple of years.  If you keep Karlsson then you have 5 there and can fill in your 6/7 guys from free agency with minimal expense.  

I full expect Gaborik to be bought out this year so cap room will be at a premium, and while I hope that Brown will step in, he certainly has the skills, but there are HUGE!!! issues with his maturity.  He is very close to having worn out his welcome, and he's literally on the verge of being traded out of Ottawa if there are not significant changes with his attitude.  

So the question is does Ottawa believe in Harpur, Claesson, and Wolanin and if not then you're right a dman it likely will be.  If either RW drops to 4 then they have to take him, and then maybe push Ryan to the left side??  I think both Zadina and Svechnikov can start in the NHL next year.  

No matter what, Dorion has said he's not making a move on Karlsson until after July 1st...so based on what they do at the draft it will tell you how close negotiations are.
Issues with Brown and his maturity? Care to give us a run down on that point?
I find that hard to believe. Brown comes from a hockey family as his dad had an extensive NHL career and more recently used to be the GM and coach of the 67’s. The Sens familiarity with Logan dates back many years before he was drafted. He’s a player they know and know very well. I believe he even used to train with the Sens in the offseasons prior to even being draft eligible. The Sens paid a heavy price to draft him when they gave up a 3rd to New Jersey just to move up one spot in the 1st round to select Logan. A lot can happen in two years however, and I don’t know the reasons for his trade in the OHL, but all I see is on-ice progress and a cushy spot waiting for him in Belleville next year.

2432018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I was disappointed today to hear the coaches were staying, but I do expect a short leash. I too, like Dorion said today, believe this year was a one-off and think that Karlsson’s rehab from injury, Wideman and Boro getting hurt, killed us more than anyone gives those losses credit. I think we will be a playoff team by simply changing nothing except adding our youth and better player deployment. I’m looking at you Burrows, Gaborik, and basically everything Boucher did wrong as well.
I think Zadina may fall to us if Carolina or Montreal see Tkachuk as their saviour. Again, he’s good, but context should be given with him and taking him before Svechnikov and Zadina is a mistake in my opinion. Without downplaying Tkachuk too much because he is good, he is basically Tom Wilson but much much faster. Us taking him at 4, that’s another story for my eventual mock.
And yeah, Batherson is heading to the QMJHL finals and would love to see him in the Memorial Cup. Formenton, I can’t see how he doesn’t make the Sens again next season. Unless they want him to try and Luchuk the OHL next year. My guess is the youth movement is here.

2442018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Wed May 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I was disappointed today to hear the coaches were staying, but I do expect a short leash. I too, like Dorion said today, believe this year was a one-off and think that Karlsson’s rehab from injury, Wideman and Boro getting hurt, killed us more than anyone gives those losses credit. I think we will be a playoff team by simply changing nothing except adding our youth and better player deployment. I’m looking at you Burrows, Gaborik, and basically everything Boucher did wrong as well.
I think Zadina may fall to us if Carolina or Montreal see Tkachuk as their saviour. Again, he’s good, but context should be given with him and taking him before Svechnikov and Zadina is a mistake in my opinion. Without downplaying Tkachuk too much because he is good, he is basically Tom Wilson but much much faster. Us taking him at 4, that’s another story for my eventual mock.
And yeah, Batherson is heading to the QMJHL finals and would love to see him in the Memorial Cup. Formenton, I can’t see how he doesn’t make the Sens again next season. Unless they want him to try and Luchuk the OHL next year. My guess is the youth movement is here.

Man I don’t know, too much unproven nhl youth on a team is a guarantee to not make the playoffs.
I’d be very careful about injecting too many players that have never played more than a half season at most.
You end up going on long losing streaks and it’s very demoralizing and affects the long term culture of the team. Look at Edmonton and buffalo for comparisons.

2452018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Wed May 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I don’t think it will be a completely green lineup, we still have our regulars. It will just be void of the Thompson’s, Oduya’s, Dumont’s and Gaborik’s. Those spots will know be taken by internal youth. I don’t expect any free agent signings is what I’m saying I guess. We have the players we need. I should clarify that Wideman counts as someone we need. I’d even resign Pääjärvi for cheap.

2462018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Wed May 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I don’t think it will be a completely green lineup, we still have our regulars. It will just be void of the Thompson’s, Oduya’s, Dumont’s and Gaborik’s. Those spots will know be taken by internal youth. I don’t expect any free agent signings is what I’m saying I guess. We have the players we need. I should clarify that Wideman counts as someone we need. I’d even resign Pääjärvi for cheap.

Im not sure. I can’t make any guesses until we know what’s gonna happen with Kalrsson and Ryan. If both are traded In a package we might see some FA signing.

2472018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Wed May 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Oh for sure. I’m just saying as I see it now and with my thoughts that Karlsson will be here until at least the trade deadline of 2019.

2482018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Oh for sure. I’m just saying as I see it now and with my thoughts that Karlsson will be here until at least the trade deadline of 2019.

We have had this argument before. There is no Karlsson is with Ottawa at the trade deadline. If he is injured or if anything were to happen we would get nothing for him in a trade. If he is traded to a contender they would not give up anyone good off their roster which limits any return to futures which would likely be high draft picks.

Karlsson will not start the season without a contract. If he does he will not be a Senator for long. There is no way the Sens risk losing him for nothing. In the off-season makes the most sense where there is no chance he gets injured and the team he gets traded to gets a full year out of him.

2492018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Oh for sure. I’m just saying as I see it now and with my thoughts that Karlsson will be here until at least the trade deadline of 2019.

We have had this argument before. There is no Karlsson is with Ottawa at the trade deadline. If he is injured or if anything were to happen we would get nothing for him in a trade. If he is traded to a contender they would not give up anyone good off their roster which limits any return to futures which would likely be high draft picks.

Karlsson will not start the season without a contract. If he does he will not be a Senator for long. There is no way the Sens risk losing him for nothing. In the off-season makes the most sense where there is no chance he gets injured and the team he gets traded to gets a full year out of him.

All good points

2502018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thu May 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

There are all very good points, yet I still disagree with him. I think he signs an extension this offseason, and even if he doesn’t, I think he plays with Ottawa for the majority of the year until the deadline draws near. There are many reasons for my opinion, which include but aren’t limited to management being able minimize their role in Karlsson leaving the organization and the optics of Jack Hughes potentially playing for Colorado.

2512018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't see any way that Karlsson starts the season with the Sens without having signed a new contract, for all the reasons DefenceWinsChampionships states. Imagine having him start the season here and then he gets some sort of serious injury and is untradeable before the deadline and won't sign a contract here. Holy hell, just imagine.

I think the relationship is damaged beyond repair and he's gone this summer. The only way I could've seen this being fixed was if The Euge sold the team and a new owner came in.

2522018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

It happens all the time. We’ll see I guess. It is just my opinion.

2532018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Thing is, he *does* have a contract. Redden and Chara played out their last season.

2542018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 7:47 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nice that the Preds and Pens tied their series' last night. Should make for some more fun hockey in the coming days...gimme lots of game 7s, please.

2552018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 am

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

No thanks. Take the Pens out now. I’d much prefer pick 22 instead of 28+.

2562018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Seriously, what’s the point of drafting Tkachuk if Wilson can get suspended for a hit like that?

2572018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 11:17 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Seriously, what’s the point of drafting Tkachuk if Wilson can get suspended for a hit like that?

Well, he broke buddy's jaw, so there was definite shoulder on face contact.

2582018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

If Wilson was shorter, he’d be the injured one. Either that or cracked Aston-Reese’s sternum.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum