GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2018 NHL Entry Draft

+8
dennycrane
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
Oglethorpe
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 41]

2562018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Seriously, what’s the point of drafting Tkachuk if Wilson can get suspended for a hit like that?

2572018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 11:17 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Seriously, what’s the point of drafting Tkachuk if Wilson can get suspended for a hit like that?

Well, he broke buddy's jaw, so there was definite shoulder on face contact.

2582018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 5:18 pm

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

If Wilson was shorter, he’d be the injured one. Either that or cracked Aston-Reese’s sternum.

2592018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Fri May 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I’m just bitter. I think the Caps would’ve won this year with him and the three games he played, suggest the same. Hopefully Burakovsky comes back tomorrow.

2602018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat May 05, 2018 8:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, why is this discussion on this thread? Let's get it back on topic.

Button had Tkachuk at #3 in January, right after the WJC; he had him at #2 in March. In the last couple days I recall reading something where he said you have to consider the fact that Tkachuk plays in the NCAA (harder league to play than Junior, fewer games to amass point totals).

I think there is a real chance Habs or Canes take him.

2612018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

When the lottery first aired, I saw Tkachuk going to Carolina or Montreal. I’m almost positive I posted that here. Now, I think the Habs take him. I’m halfway through my mock and just waiting to solidify Pittsburgh...I mean Ottawa in the #22 spot.
The Canes have the perfect linemate for Svechnikov in Necas. Carolina has some very nice prospects. 
I think I’ve nailed the first 7 selections. 8 was risky.

2622018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

From what I hear the canes are willing to trade the 2nd overall.
I don’t think it’s impossible that the Sens move up two spots to grab Svechnikov. What would be the price for that. I imagine at least a 2nd round pick? But after that 2nd 1st we don’t even have a pick till the 4rth round. I guess that could change between now and then.

But probably Carolina is after a player though and not a pick. They want to get better now

2632018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun May 06, 2018 11:58 am

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I think the price would be much more than swapping 1sts and just an extra 2nd. If Tkachuk is who Carolina wants, they better be careful dropping below Montreal.

2642018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Sun May 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Im praying one of those two teams want tkachuk, but I doubt it.

2652018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 7:09 am

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

If that happens, are you picking Zadina at 4 or pulling the 2nd Dman off the board?

2662018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think we still have depth at D. If we say this past season was a glitch, a Mulligan, a do-over then that has to apply to guys like Claesson and Harpur. We have (?) Karlsson and Chabot as top end guys, Ceci, Jaros and Wideman (?) to round out the right side, Claesson, Harpur, Boro and Wolanin on the right side. They all now have experience at the NHL level. Pick up a UFA like Oduya for nothing, just use him as a stabilizer instead of a top four guy.

For guys on the back end who can carry the puck out or deliver that stretch pass (Karlsson, Chabot, Wideman, Wolanin) it's more than most clubs have. What you need now is speed and skill up front to take advantage.

2672018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 7:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And a system that not afraid of letting them go.

2682018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:From what I hear the canes are willing to trade the 2nd overall.
I don’t think it’s impossible that the Sens move up two spots to grab Svechnikov. What would be the price for that. I imagine at least a 2nd round pick? But after that 2nd 1st we don’t even have a pick till the 4rth round. I guess that could change between now and then.

But probably Carolina is after a player though and not a pick. They want to get better now

Yeah, I'm not sure just adding a 2nd rounder in would get that deal done. It's pretty rare you see any picks this high get dealt, and even more rare when it's just a "trading down" scenario. As you say, if Carolina does move down, they'll want an impact player.

2692018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 12:30 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:From what I hear the canes are willing to trade the 2nd overall.

Yeah, I'm not sure just adding a 2nd rounder in would get that deal done.  It's pretty rare you see any picks this high get dealt, and even more rare when it's just a "trading down" scenario.  As you say, if Carolina does move down, they'll want an impact player.

A 2nd and a prospect maybe? Nick Paul seems to be somewhat disposable at this point. Maybe Claesson? Not sure what it would cost. I just think we're all hoping Carolina or Montreal take Tkachuk. The reality is they probably won't and all these projections we're making are just wishful thinking.

I did see some arguments about Tkachuk playing less games against older, more skilled players in the NCAA so his point totals are unreflective of what he can do.

For what it's worth, Eichel put up 71 points in his first year at BU (26 goals) in 40 games. Tkachuk put up 31 points (8 goals) in 40 games. So if you're wondering why I am not excited this is why. And if the power forward argument is being used to justify this pick, hitting/fighting is well on its way to being outlawed in the NHL. It's a speed game now. Not an enforcer game. Tkachuk had two times as many PIMs as he did points. No thanks

2702018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 12:36 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'd much rather Boqvist or Bouchard if we're not getting Zadina or Svechnikov. Maybe even Whalstrom. Tkachuk is a 'safe' pick. He will be an NHLer and if he produces like his brother I'd be okay with a 50-60 point guy. But he won't be a 'star' and that's what this team needs right now. Some of our forward prospects will score in the same range. Unless you're getting a player that can score 80 points a season I think you look at D options.

2712018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'd much rather Boqvist or Bouchard if we're not getting Zadina or Svechnikov. Maybe even Whalstrom. Tkachuk is a 'safe' pick. He will be an NHLer and if he produces like his brother I'd be okay with a 50-60 point guy. But he won't be a 'star' and that's what this team needs right now. Some of our forward prospects will score in the same range. Unless you're getting a player that can score 80 points a season I think you look at D options.  

That was my opinion also and with that respect I might even be fine with trading down a couple spots. Getting some more assets. We do not have many picks in this draft.

2722018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 3:38 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Interesting thing about Boqvist is that he was born in August 2000, whereas Tkachuk and Zadina are 1999 birthdays...Boqvist is almost an entire year younger than Tkachuk.

2732018 NHL Entry Draft - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Mon May 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Lagoon wrote:
Lagoon wrote:With an April 28th date being talked about for the draft lottery, it is about time we start talking next Ottawa Senators here.

I just watched Bouchard play last night and outside the consensus top 3, picking 4-6 is going to be tough to decide.

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Everyone is forgetting Bouchard who is much bigger and better defensively than both Boqvist and Hughes, and led the crappy Knights team in points.

As I have said multiple times, if the Sens can get their hands on another top-10 pick (Ceci or Hoffman trade) I certainly see them going after Bouchard if he is available.
I haven’t forgot about Bouchard. Quoted above is the original post that started this thread. The D is deep at the top of this draft and nobody has even mentioned Ty Smith yet either. I just think Dahlin, Boqvist and Hughes go before Bouchard. Boqvist is doing amazing things for his age as he was almost eligible for the 2019 draft. Him and Tkachuk are the opposite there because Tkachuk was born one day later than the cutoff for the 2017 draft, making him the oldest in this draft.

tim1_2 wrote:Interesting thing about Boqvist is that he was born in August 2000, whereas Tkachuk and Zadina are 1999 birthdays...Boqvist is almost an entire year younger than Tkachuk.
Yup. Here’s a post of mine from Pg.9 of this thread. I’d love to be in our draft room. Tkachuk is the oldest in this draft, Boqvist is the baby. Hughes is impressing me more and more every game. Good thing I trust our drafting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 41]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum