GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 52 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I really don't care about ownership, and neither do the players. That will sort itself out. Most players don't even know or meet the team's owner.
Come on dude. That’s a little Naive. Of course players care. Because it directly affects putting the best possible team on the ice and resigning all their best players.

You can’t be buying the PR lines
Trust me dude, players care about what they make more than how good the team is or anything else. It’s all about money. There’s a reason every big star doesn’t leave their drafted team. It doesn’t matter if the team is a contender or not.

If melnyk won’t give out an eight year deal or max players value the players will go elsewhere. Getting paid and winning are two different things but if money is equal everywhere (as you would hope it would be for guys like duchene and kalrsson then players might chose to go where the owners goal is to win not squeeze the team for money.

Anderson methot Ryan MacArthur Pyatt condon etc all re signing with the team during these recent years...al I have to say

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

To be fair we haven't had many players not resign.  The 2 biggest come up soon.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I really don't care about ownership, and neither do the players. That will sort itself out. Most players don't even know or meet the team's owner.
Come on dude. That’s a little Naive. Of course players care. Because it directly affects putting the best possible team on the ice and resigning all their best players.

They care more about money than they do about winning. Maybe later on in life. But very few realize what's important early on. And most of those aren't the big money makers anyway - they realize they won't be making $6M+ anyway.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:His biggest problem was that he bought the team with the bank's money (when a small share of his company holdings would have bought it outright). Then the stock plummeted and he ended up selling for peanuts and forced out.  Then the shares went up again.  He's had a terrible time picking when to sell.  Meanwhile he continued to leverage the team raising more funds (presumably for investment but more likely to pay debts) and the team's debt kept going up.  The interest rates on the debt are pretty high (kind of reminds me of the company I worked for last year).

But thing is, without the interest payments on the debt this team can make money.  

I wonder if this is another reason why Leeder was tossed to the curb.  He is an accountant by trade and maybe he could have given Melnyk bettter advice about restructuring his debt downward when he had the resource to do so.  
I assure you that he did not refinance to pay off other debt.  It is illlegal and impossible to get away with.

In sure there are ways. You pay someone money, you can invest in their "business"to pay off what you owe, with little hope of making it back. But as long as there is a chance, it's an investment.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Senators are less than $3M from the ceiling. They are well over the alleged $68M internal budget. Much of that is MacArthur's contact and 80% of that is covered, but even accounting for that they are paying out more than $68M.

Last year they came within a double OT goal of very likely winning their first Cup. With good drafting and good health a team can go far without spending to the cap.

Personally, I'd prefer to be $3-4M from the ceiling (maybe even a little more) so you can afford injury callups, carrying 2-3 scratches (for internal competition) and, of course, a possible deadline move (deadline is earlier now).

Pepper call and roster management is more important than a bigger budget.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:His biggest problem was that he bought the team with the bank's money (when a small share of his company holdings would have bought it outright). Then the stock plummeted and he ended up selling for peanuts and forced out.  Then the shares went up again.  He's had a terrible time picking when to sell.  Meanwhile he continued to leverage the team raising more funds (presumably for investment but more likely to pay debts) and the team's debt kept going up.  The interest rates on the debt are pretty high (kind of reminds me of the company I worked for last year).

But thing is, without the interest payments on the debt this team can make money.  

I wonder if this is another reason why Leeder was tossed to the curb.  He is an accountant by trade and maybe he could have given Melnyk bettter advice about restructuring his debt downward when he had the resource to do so.  
I assure you that he did not refinance to pay off other debt.  It is illlegal and impossible to get away with.

In sure there are ways. You pay someone money, you can invest in their "business"to pay off what you owe, with little hope of making it back. But as long as there is a chance, it's an investment.
I know the former CFO for the Sens and asked her this specific question after she left the team.  No chance.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:The Senators are less than $3M from the ceiling. They are well over the alleged $68M internal budget. Much of that is MacArthur's contact and 80% of that is covered, but even accounting for that they are paying out more than $68M.

Last year they came within a double OT goal of very likely winning their first Cup.  With good drafting and good health a team can go far without spending to the cap.

Personally, I'd prefer to be $3-4M from the ceiling (maybe even a little more) so you can afford injury callups, carrying 2-3 scratches (for internal competition) and, of course, a possible deadline move (deadline is earlier now).

Pepper call and roster management is more important than a bigger budget.
73M - 3.75 (Mac) - 1.5M (Brassard). You do know that the Rangers picked up this year and next years signing bonus in exchange for the added second round pick.  We are only paying Brassard the following in actual dollars: 16-17 3M, 17-18 2M, 18-19 1M.  Like I said before we sold a high pick for cash.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Trust me dude, players care about what they make more than how good the team is or anything else. It’s all about money. There’s a reason every big star doesn’t leave their drafted team. It doesn’t matter if the team is a contender or not.

If melnyk won’t give out an eight year deal or max players value the players will go elsewhere. Getting paid and winning are two different things but if money is equal everywhere (as you would hope it would be for guys like duchene and kalrsson then players might chose to go where the owners goal is to win not squeeze the team for money.

Anderson methot Ryan MacArthur Pyatt condon etc all re signing with the team during these recent years...al I have to say

Im not talking about secondary players. People want to stay because there is a guy like kalrsson. If kalrsson(and duchene) leave, then I don’t expect everyone to chose to stay.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Im not talking about secondary players. People want to stay because there is a guy like kalrsson. If kalrsson(and duchene) leave, then I don’t expect everyone to chose to stay.

Doesn’t matter if theyre secondary players. If ownership was a huge factor none would have re signed. That simple. Players don’t care about the owner unless they’re literally hitler

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, Turris was the first guy to specifically blame ownership. We'll see where it goes from here. Karlsson and Stone both should be resigned. I think they will be, with Melnyk knowing he'll have sold the team before they start drawing bigger cheques.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

No he didn't. He didn't say he didn't sign because of Melnyk. He made it quite clear that he wanted to sign but they didn't counter his offer and he thinks it's because Melnyk did not want to say him this much for that long (I'm extrapolating on what he really said in that last part).

This is quite different from saying players will not *want* to sign here because of Melnyk.

It's all about the money.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:No he didn't. He didn't say he didn't sign because of Melnyk. He made it quite clear that he wanted to sign but they didn't counter his offer and he thinks it's because Melnyk did not want to say him this much for that long (I'm extrapolating on what he really said in that last part).  

This is quite different from saying players will not *want* to sign here because of Melnyk.

Fair enough. And you’re right…assuming the offers are market value, players will take them. That said, you can’t tell me players are oblivious to what comes out of Eugene’s mouth. To hear your owner basically say that it’s a sinking ship and that he’s not going to pour cash in to it forever….well…that isn’t exactly making it an attractive place to play.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:No he didn't. He didn't say he didn't sign because of Melnyk. He made it quite clear that he wanted to sign but they didn't counter his offer and he thinks it's because Melnyk did not want to say him this much for that long (I'm extrapolating on what he really said in that last part).  

He’s also lying through his teeth because he didn’t want to sign here

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

He’s also lying through his teeth because he didn’t want to sign here
You’ll have to come up with evidence on that one because everything points to the fact that he did want to stay here. Just not on a discount

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I find that hard to believe -- Turris has no reason to lie. He wanted an 8 year deal, who doesn't. It's called the opening big in a negotiation. There was no counter offer because (as Dorion said later) they didn't believe they would budge.

Reminds me a lot of when Bryan offered Alfie a deal that was too low and Alfie never countered.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, they read my text/question to Pierre this morning on TGOR. If you listened to the segment (podcast is up), can you guess which question was mine?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hint: I texted it (speech to text) while "driving" in to work.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Hey, they read my text/question to Pierre this morning on TGOR.  If you listened to the segment (podcast is up), can you guess which question was mine?

I ain't listening to Dung, but if you could just enlighten us, that'd be great.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 52 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum