GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 27 of 67]

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

If Duchesne proves to be a true top line player, then we win the trade.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:If Duchesne proves to be a true top line player, then we win the trade.  

Duchene is a slight upgrade over Turris. Turris wanted out for reasons unknown. But don't expect Duchene, after nearly a decade in the league, to suddenly become McDavid or Crosby.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:If Duchesne proves to be a true top line player, then we win the trade.  

Duchene is a slight upgrade over Turris. Turris wanted out for reasons unknown. But don't expect Duchene, after nearly a decade in the league, to suddenly become McDavid or Crosby.
Who said anything about a generational player, I said top line player. We currently have 1.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That’s an expensive price to pay the non the less.

Again people were saying that Turris wanted 8. Maybe that’s not the case. Maybe the Sens felt that he was likely to suffer more and more injuries as time went by. Turris isn’t built on a big frame. I’m gonna miss him. Always enjoyed watching him. Great attitude.

I have a feeling that the Sens felt that by getting duchene they’d probably have to offer him 8 years for him to sign his next deal and with him a couple years younger they are more comfortable doing so. 8 years will take him to 36 years. Not much of a difference.

Also, duchene is a name. He’s won in the olympics. He might be a guy that can help us on the next level. The Sens hope this will increase ticket sales.

But... we still need a LW. Maybe we wind up renting one.

As it’s been noted, we still have Brown, white and Chabot. If we can resign both Karlsson and Duchene then we might not be picking in the first round for a few years to come in using those assets to win the cup.

Another big move by Dorion. Now let’s see what habs fans have to say... Naughty

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

this is a great trade upgrading our centre position. We didn't give up any import futures. Fantastic

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

A few things to consider.

1. The 3rd basically is in exchange for taking Hammond.
2. Bowers was an end of 1st round pick in a crap draft.
3. So it breaks down to Turris a 1st and a prospect not named Chabot, White or Brown.
4. The Sens need to still move a Dman to make room for Chabot, etc.. and there have been a ton of scouts watching of late. They can probably get back a second or third rounder.
5. The Sens top 2 forward prospects are centres, Duchesne can play the left side, Turris cannot.

Good planning on Dorion's part.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sad to see Turris go but he clearly didn't want to stay. Maybe he didn't like how they treated Wiercioch. But that was a couple years ago.

Got an upgrade without giving up anyone who was going to be on the roster anytime soon. And cleared up the goaltending logjam in the minors.

Very good deal for Ottawa. What did Nashville give up?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Even better, the 1st round pick is top-10 protected.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

and people Duchene is not spelled with an S

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Where is it spelled with an 's'? Previous page?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nope, not previous page, either.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

He is a clear tier above Turris when both are at their best. He's much more skilled and dynamic with the puck.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:and people Duchene is not spelled with an S
Guilty!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I still feel like this makes us a little more than marginally better. His high faceoff % is great and I’m sure there’s some Boucher recommendation for getting him. I think Boucher had probably targeted Duchene before even getting brass as a C they wanted. So it will be interesting to see what he can do.

It’s exciting for sure! But I still see a need for us to acquire a more than decent top 6 forward. But agai, maybe that ends up being a rental for a lower price as I’m sure Dorion hopes white can be that guy sooner rather than later.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Next up White or Ceci for Zuc?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:I still feel like this makes us a little more than marginally better. His high faceoff % is great and I’m sure there’s some Boucher recommendation for getting him. I think Boucher had probably targeted Duchene before even getting brass as a C they wanted. So it will be interesting to see what he can do.

It’s exciting for sure! But I still see a need for us to acquire a more than decent top 6 forward. But agai, maybe that ends up being a rental for a lower price as I’m sure Dorion hopes white can be that guy sooner rather than later.

The thing about Duchene is his speed and puck control.  Ev said dynamic and that's probably about right.  I think Ottawa could have made it work with Turris, paid him etc., but clearly they felt the money will be better spend on Duchene.  

He'll make SO much room for his wingers with his puck control and skill.  It'll be neat to watch.

For me, this has to be phase one.  We need a Zucarello type winger now - or Neal.  If we can come to an agreement with Neal, I'd offer White or Ceci, same with Zuc.  Get Chabot in there, let him take his lumps and move forward.

EDIT: I think Ceci is gone anyway, so might as well rip the bandaid off now, but...if you can give up White for Zuc straight up, you lose no one off your current roster, holy crap...you're looking good. Maybe at the deadline you get a D-man as insurance and shoot Oduya to the moon, not sure.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I really don't see the sense in this move.

Turris and Duchene are close enough in ability, past performance, and age to call it a wash. Duchene has the higher ceiling for sure, but he's 27 and we've likely seen the best he can do, which isn't much more than Turris. With that potential in mind and the extra year on the contract, I get why you have to add a pick to make it happen. But adding another pick and a mid-tier prospect seems like an overpay.

But never mind the price we paid. That 6x6 deal Turris got from NSH was apparently the deal OTT wouldn't offer him (or so some I follow on Twitter said), which, if true, is absolutely insane. After all the hype and the price we paid, I don't see Duchene settling for anything like 6x6.

Who knows, Duchene might become a 70+ point centre with us again. Sure hope so. But I think we gave up too much, and gave up on a quality 2-way first-line C because we didn't want to pay him fair value. It took NSH 4 conversations in 3 hours to conclude 6x6 was fair. Turris was the kind of guy who scored the OT winner in the playoffs and then that night, instead of drinking at da club (cough Ceci cough) gave his time to hang out with sick little kids.

I want to be excited for Duchene, but I think this move is largely a lateral one and comes with way more risk than Turris at 6x6. Hope he proves me wrong, because we gave up a lot -- and I don't just mean the picks -- to get him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

6x6 is far too much for the caliber of player Turris is. We needed an upgrade and I believe duchene is an upgrade for sue. He’s much better offensively and will fit the sens system better. He’s better at controlling the play with speed and possession. Turris was never known for that. Wish him the best but I believe duchene will excel here, and I think people are not seeing his true value given his last year of production. I think in a month or so people will see it wasn’t a lateral move.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 27 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum