GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Rangers have been hot. Make no mistake -- that was a *very* surprising win. They've been playing awful, just lost to one of the only two teams left below them in the standings, coming home from a 2-week road trip, and playing the second of back-to-back nights. And the Rangers were ticked off after losing to Dallas.

The last time they had an unexpected win was the Islanders game, and they followed that up with one of their worst outings against the Jets. But this time they followed up with a convincing win over Montreal. I don't want to get my hope up, but that may very well signal a turnaround.

Long *long* way to go, still. No-one is catching the Lightning and unless Matthews is gone for the rest of the season the Leafs will start winning again. Boston is playing really well. If they don't get top-three in the Division then the Islanders are 10 points ahead but we've got 2 games in hand. 6 teams to pass, though. Ouch.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
IMO no point in really looking at the standings with 50 games left

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The bottom line is we're not out of it, but the wins have to start flowing.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
A reasonable look at the Sens finances from the outside:

http://senschirp.ca/chirped/chirped-financial-state-ottawa-senators/

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:A reasonable look at the Sens finances from the outside:

http://senschirp.ca/chirped/chirped-financial-state-ottawa-senators/

That’s for the team and the building. IMO, as chirp stated, without valuing all the other events at the CTC it’s undervaluing how much he gets out of it.

But that’s what I was always saying. He stood more to gain in holding on to the team and selling it when the time was right than holding on to it forever.
Of course he stands to win an even more incredible amount of money if he secures the new arena and developments rights. He could sell then for a lot more than the 400 and change millions. And IMO that’s his gamble.

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
There was no way Melnyk was losing money. The numbers never suggested it and when pressed on the subject he was never able to prove it. Fact is he's been leveraging the money generated through the Sens to pay off losses on his other investments.

I think come January the franchise will be sold.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:There was no way Melnyk was losing money. The numbers never suggested it and when pressed on the subject he was never able to prove it. Fact is he's been leveraging the money generated through the Sens to pay off losses on his other investments.

I think come January the franchise will be sold.

Pretty clear the team has been losing money for a little while due to constant refinancing.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I really don't care about ownership, and neither do the players. That will sort itself out. Most players don't even know or meet the team's owner.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
His biggest problem was that he bought the team with the bank's money (when a small share of his company holdings would have bought it outright). Then the stock plummeted and he ended up selling for peanuts and forced out. Then the shares went up again. He's had a terrible time picking when to sell. Meanwhile he continued to leverage the team raising more funds (presumably for investment but more likely to pay debts) and the team's debt kept going up. The interest rates on the debt are pretty high (kind of reminds me of the company I worked for last year).

But thing is, without the interest payments on the debt this team can make money.

I wonder if this is another reason why Leeder was tossed to the curb. He is an accountant by trade and maybe he could have given Melnyk bettter advice about restructuring his debt downward when he had the resource to do so.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:I really don't care about ownership, and neither do the players. That will sort itself out. Most players don't even know or meet the team's owner.
Come on dude. That’s a little Naive. Of course players care. Because it directly affects putting the best possible team on the ice and resigning all their best players.

You can’t be buying the PR lines

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:His biggest problem was that he bought the team with the bank's money (when a small share of his company holdings would have bought it outright). Then the stock plummeted and he ended up selling for peanuts and forced out.  Then the shares went up again.  He's had a terrible time picking when to sell.  Meanwhile he continued to leverage the team raising more funds (presumably for investment but more likely to pay debts) and the team's debt kept going up.  The interest rates on the debt are pretty high (kind of reminds me of the company I worked for last year).

But thing is, without the interest payments on the debt this team can make money.  

I wonder if this is another reason why Leeder was tossed to the curb.  He is an accountant by trade and maybe he could have given Melnyk bettter advice about restructuring his debt downward when he had the resource to do so.  
Exactly.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:I really don't care about ownership, and neither do the players. That will sort itself out. Most players don't even know or meet the team's owner.
Come on dude. That’s a little Naive. Of course players care. Because it directly affects putting the best possible team on the ice and resigning all their best players.

Trust me dude, players care about what they make more than how good the team is or anything else. It’s all about money. There’s a reason every big star doesn’t leave their drafted team. It doesn’t matter if the team is a contender or not.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:His biggest problem was that he bought the team with the bank's money (when a small share of his company holdings would have bought it outright). Then the stock plummeted and he ended up selling for peanuts and forced out.  Then the shares went up again.  He's had a terrible time picking when to sell.  Meanwhile he continued to leverage the team raising more funds (presumably for investment but more likely to pay debts) and the team's debt kept going up.  The interest rates on the debt are pretty high (kind of reminds me of the company I worked for last year).

I wonder if this is another reason why Leeder was tossed to the curb.  He is an accountant by trade and maybe he could have given Melnyk bettter advice about restructuring his debt downward when he had the resource to do so.  
I assure you that he did not refinance to pay off other debt.  It is illlegal and impossible to get away with.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Trust me dude, players care about what they make more than how good the team is or anything else. It’s all about money. There’s a reason every big star doesn’t leave their drafted team. It doesn’t matter if the team is a contender or not.

If melnyk won’t give out an eight year deal or max players value the players will go elsewhere. Getting paid and winning are two different things but if money is equal everywhere (as you would hope it would be for guys like duchene and kalrsson then players might chose to go where the owners goal is to win not squeeze the team for money.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Oglethorpe wrote:

I assure you that he did not refinance to pay off other debt.  It is illlegal and impossible to get away with.

The bad financing deal he got himself in is bad enough as it is.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

If melnyk won’t give out an eight year deal or max players value the players will go elsewhere. Getting paid and winning are two different things but if money is equal everywhere (as you would hope it would be for guys like duchene and kalrsson then players might chose to go where the owners goal is to win not squeeze the team for money.

Anderson methot Ryan MacArthur Pyatt condon etc all re signing with the team during these recent years...al I have to say

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
To be fair we haven't had many players not resign.  The 2 biggest come up soon.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:

They care more about money than they do about winning. Maybe later on in life. But very few realize what's important early on. And most of those aren't the big money makers anyway - they realize they won't be making $6M+ anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum