GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:So Karlsson has been ruled out from this Western Canada swing.  He could return as early as next Tuesday against Vancouver.  Oduya hasn't been officially ruled out for Friday's game against Calgary but it sounds like he'd more realistically join the team in Edmonton, on Saturday.

My thinking -- if they win in Calgary they'll tell Johhny to stay back and enjoy his time off.   Get both him and Karlsson back on Tuesday to counter the effects of first home game after a road trip.

I don’t see us winning in Calgary.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Much like the Leafs beginning several years ago, the long road to the bottom for Montreal will be VERY enjoyable.  Resigning Price was a huge mistake, although I understand why they did it.

Not a mistake. They had to re-sign Price. It would be the same as Ottawa not re-signing Karlsson.

What really hurt them was re-signing Galchenyuk to his ludicrous contract and putting him on the 4th line. It's been a ticking time-bomb in Mtl since they traded Subban. They haven't addressed their #1 center issue for a few years now. Fact is they're not very good.

Carey Price is going to be 38 and still getting $10.5M per season. There's no other goalie getting paid anywhere close to that. Also, Price has had some concerning injury issues. I know it would've taken a massive set of balls to trade Price at some point last season or this season, but I think it would've been the best way for the Canadiens to move forward. Get a couple great assets for him (and/or use the $$ to resign Radulov or whoever) and remake the team a bit. Man, they could've tried to get Fleury from Pittsburgh for nothing.

The best case scenario with Price is that he plays great and continually makes them a playoff bubble team.

The Habs also have Charlie Lindgren (23 yrs old) in the AHL who is one of the best goalies on the planet not in the NHL.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Much like the Leafs beginning several years ago, the long road to the bottom for Montreal will be VERY enjoyable.  Resigning Price was a huge mistake, although I understand why they did it.

Not a mistake. They had to re-sign Price. It would be the same as Ottawa not re-signing Karlsson.

What really hurt them was re-signing Galchenyuk to his ludicrous contract and putting him on the 4th line. It's been a ticking time-bomb in Mtl since they traded Subban. They haven't addressed their #1 center issue for a few years now. Fact is they're not very good.

Carey Price is going to be 38 and still getting $10.5M per season.  There's no other goalie getting paid anywhere close to that.  Also, Price has had some concerning injury issues.  I know it would've taken a massive set of balls to trade Price at some point last season or this season, but I think it would've been the best way for the Canadiens to move forward.  Get a couple great assets for him (and/or use the $$ to resign Radulov or whoever) and remake the team a bit.  Man, they could've tried to get Fleury from Pittsburgh for nothing.  

The best case scenario with Price is that he plays great and continually makes them a playoff bubble team.

The Habs also have Charlie Lindgren (23 yrs old) in the AHL who is one of the best goalies on the planet not in the NHL.  

They have Fucale too

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

Carey Price is going to be 38 and still getting $10.5M per season.  There's no other goalie getting paid anywhere close to that.  Also, Price has had some concerning injury issues.  I know it would've taken a massive set of balls to trade Price at some point last season or this season, but I think it would've been the best way for the Canadiens to move forward.  Get a couple great assets for him (and/or use the $$ to resign Radulov or whoever) and remake the team a bit.  Man, they could've tried to get Fleury from Pittsburgh for nothing.  

They have Fucale too

Fucale is basically a bust. Never heard of Lindgren

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, will we see old smiley face Lazar tomorrow? He was scratched when Jagr was ready to come in, and I don't see Jagr sitting for a while yet. Healthy scratch this early in the season?

Would be funny if Formenton (the guy we drafted with the pick we got for Lazar) played and Lazar didn't.

Best thing would be for him to be waived down to the AHL and relearn how to play.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

They have Fucale too

Yeah fucale is an after thought and I’m not sure I’d say Lindgren is one of the best goalies not in the NHL. He is better than montador but the habs went ahead and gave him two years. Another contract they won’t be able to move.

But if we are talking about what the habs had to do, they had no choice but to keep price. Mov8ng him would have been suicide for the GM and possibly the org. Fans wouldn’t have had it. It would have been like trad8ng roy again. The only way they can survive such a move is if the habs suck now for a season or two and buy into a rebuild. But with that contract would a team burden itself with him?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

They have Fucale too

Yeah fucale is an after thought and I’m not sure I’d say Lindgren is one of the best goalies not in the NHL. He is better than montador but the habs went ahead and gave him two years. Another contract they won’t be able to move.

But if we are talking about what the habs had to do, they had no choice but to keep price. Mov8ng him would have been suicide for the GM and possibly the org. Fans wouldn’t have had it. It would have been like trad8ng roy again. The only way they can survive such a move is if the habs suck now for a season or two and buy into a rebuild. But with that contract would a team burden itself with him?

I remember Bergevin essentially saying that they Price was going to get whatever he wanted on his contract. Just can't see Bergevin making it through the season with Mtl. Might even be out before xmas. He's had an awful tenure as GM.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I bet Habs under 99.9 points before the season lol

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

They have Fucale too

This is why I said it would've taken a massive set of balls to trade Price. Bergevin would've had to have had buy-in from ownership to do this. Bottom line is they're going nowhere with Price except maybe squeaking into the playoffs on occasion, and even this is a stretch. Also, Price has a pretty concerning injury history for a goalie. Trading Price could've been the rebuild the team needed...instead, they'll just continue to slide into oblivion.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I'm not sure I agree with that last point. They definitely need a rebuild but think they can get decent pieces for Pacioretty and Plekanec. Shaw will end up being a terrible contract. Gallagher they will keep along with Drouin. They should be going hard after Duchene.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

They have Fucale too

I remember Bergevin essentially saying that they Price was going to get whatever he wanted on his contract. Just can't see Bergevin making it through the season with Mtl. Might even be out before xmas. He's had an awful tenure as GM.
I think he did quite good up until the Pk trade and then Dung went off the rail. They went win now when they weren’t ready. Loosing Radulov hurt them but it’s not like he was a prospect they developed.
They should have stayed the course.

Also they need to make some changes in their drafting personnel. I don’t feel like Timmins has been that good for them in the last 10years. Lots of meh first rounders.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

They have Fucale too

This is why I said it would've taken a massive set of balls to trade Price.  Bergevin would've had to have had buy-in from ownership to do this.  Bottom line is they're going nowhere with Price except maybe squeaking into the playoffs on occasion, and even this is a stretch.  Also, Price has a pretty concerning injury history for a goalie.  Trading Price could've been the rebuild the team needed...instead, they'll just continue to slide into oblivion.

Still don’t agree. I think the fan base could suffer a rebuild but not loosing price. They play their cards right, trade guys like Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Gallagher @l9ng with trying to unload some of that D they might be able to do a 3-4 year rebuild and still hope to win under price. I don’t think the fan base can suffer losing the best goalie on the planet and trade him and watch him win cups like they did with Roy.

That’s the one guy you try and keep, they’ll have young guys with small salaries to counter his.
But again, they have to overhaul that drafting department.

And all this will get MB fired. Too bad they don’t have a Murray to build them a solid foundation.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm not sure I agree with that last point. They definitely need a rebuild but think they can get decent pieces for Pacioretty and Plekanec. Shaw will end up being a terrible contract. Gallagher they will keep along with Drouin. They should be going hard after Duchene.

Pacioretty would get them a lot. The best you can hope for plec is a 2nd rounder if he finds his form this year again but I doubt it.

Forget about duchene, what or who are they goIng to trade? That blue line is full of duds. Trade the one guy that is ok in petry? Weber is too old and the habs would sabotage their chances. I doubt anyone picks up the phone when MB calls.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Plekanec is nearly worthless. Pacioretty is their Captain (not that the Habs have ever had issues dealing their captains) and a proven 30-goal scorer (mind you, so was Bobby Ryan not too long ago).

Habs 1st round drafting since taking Price in 2005:

2006: Fischer (who?)
2007: McDonagh and Pacioretty (Subban was in the 2nd)
2008: - no 1st rounder, someone named Danny Kristo in the 2nd)
2009: Leblanc
2010: Tinordi
2011: Bealieu
2012: Galchenyuk
2013: McCarron

Too early to tell on the most recent ones, but that's pretty pathetic -- mostly busts or they gave up on them. Galchenyuk has been pushed from the franchise 1LC to 4th line winger. McCarron will never play regularly in the NHL, IMO. If they move Patches they will have nothing to show for 10 years of drafting in the first round.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think it's the same concept with the impending Karlsson situation.

Say he signs an 8 x $13M contract. You get rid of the Burrows, Thompson, Pyatt contracts and another contract (Smith?) and it's a wash relative to what he is making now.

What would the fan base's reaction be if we trade Karlsson? You have to give him what he wants because someone else will give him what you don't.

This is why the Boro extension didn't make sense to me but that's a discussion for another day... haha

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

And you draft well and sub in guys on ELC's and controlled RFA contracts into their spots.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I'm not sure I agree with that last point. They definitely need a rebuild but think they can get decent pieces for Pacioretty and Plekanec. Shaw will end up being a terrible contract. Gallagher they will keep along with Drouin. They should be going hard after Duchene.

Pacioretty would get them a lot. The best you can hope for plec is a 2nd rounder if he finds his form this year again but I doubt it.

Forget about duchene, what or who are they goIng to trade? That blue line is full of duds. Trade the one guy that is ok in petry? Weber is too old and the habs would sabotage their chances. I doubt anyone picks up the phone when MB calls.

I see the Weber contract as similar to the Phaneuf contract. Big money for declining players.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think it's the same concept with the impending Karlsson situation.

Say he signs an 8 x $13M contract. You get rid of the Burrows, Thompson, Pyatt contracts and another contract (Smith?) and it's a wash relative to what he is making now.

What would the fan base's reaction be if we trade Karlsson? You have to give him what he wants because someone else will give him what you don't.

This is why the Boro extension didn't make sense to me but that's a discussion for another day... haha

Ottawa's lineup in 3-4 years from now could very well look like some form of:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
White-Brown-Ryan
Formenton-Pageau-Perron
McCormick-Chlapik-Dzingel

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Englund-Jaros
Harpur

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 40 ... 67  Next