GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2017 Sens Off-Season

+10
SeawaySensFan
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
wprager
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
tim1_2
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 41 ... 64  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 64]

2712017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Methot has been selected.

2722017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:54 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Hurts to lose Methot but better in the long run. ONce the side deal details come out, I think ppl will be glad that Dorion didn't pay an arm and a leg to keep Methot. See what Anaheim had to give up.

Do wish Phaneuf would have waived though, would have been able to keep the top 4 intact (just no way Phaneuf would have been selected).

2732017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoff-Machine wrote:Hurts to lose Methot but better in the long run.  ONce the side deal details come out, I think ppl will be glad that Dorion didn't pay an arm and a leg to keep Methot.  See what Anaheim had to give up.

Do wish Phaneuf would have waived though, would have been able to keep the top 4 intact (just no way Phaneuf would have been selected).
Yes it does suck. Looks like teams paid an arm and a leg to have bad contracts taken off their hands so I doubt they would have taken Phaneuf for the Diddle of it.
It will be interesting to see if Methot is sent anywhere or will he be playing in Vegas. Sounds to me like he may be traded.

Man the prices to protect players is astronomical, stupid GM's. Seems to me the easiest route is to just lose a single asset. Maybe a first rounder if it guaranteed the team would take a player of no consequence but that's it

2742017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i've never seen a defensive d be so overrated lol

2752017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sucks for methot and sucks for ottawa. 5 million bucks to work with now though.

2762017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Sucks for methot and sucks for ottawa.  5 million bucks to work with now though.
Touché!
For sure that's bound to translate into a FA

2772017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Anaheim will give Theodore not to have vatenen taken.

Vegas will select haula and get a rospect named tuch and a pick in return for not taking dumb

Marian hossa will apparently retire

You sure about retirement? That would cost him a lot of money. My guess is LTIR.

it would only cost him $4 million. I bet he retires after this season.

He might. On another note, can I borrow $4 million from you? It's a pittance.

He has made 85 million in the last 12 years lol

If you made $85,000 as a salary, would you give me $4,000? Just because he's made a lot of money doesn't mean he'll throw millions away. People aren't like that.

Dude it's peanuts to a guy like him. It was widely speculated he would never play for $1 million.

Then why do rich people continue to grow their wealth? No one thinks like you're suggesting. Just because they make a lot doesn't mean they're going to leave millions on the floor and walk away. That's absurd.

2782017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:

Vegas will select haula and get a rospect named tuch and a pick in return for not taking dumb

You sure about retirement? That would cost him a lot of money. My guess is LTIR.

If you made $85,000 as a salary, would you give me $4,000? Just because he's made a lot of money doesn't mean he'll throw millions away. People aren't like that.

Dude it's peanuts to a guy like him. It was widely speculated he would never play for $1 million.

Then why do rich people continue to grow their wealth? No one thinks like you're suggesting. Just because they make a lot doesn't mean they're going to leave millions on the floor and walk away. That's absurd.

Sorry but I don't think you're right here. It's not absurd at all. If Hossa was making $5 million or more this year, he'd be playing. He's only sitting because of the $1 million. 100%.

Ever hear of pensions and early retirement? People leave money on the table all the time to retire early.

2792017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:56 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:

Sorry but I don't think you're right here. It's not absurd at all. If Hossa was making $5 million or more this year, he'd be playing. He's only sitting because of the $1 million. 100%.

Ever hear of pensions and early retirement? People leave money on the table all the time to retire early.

They usually get a payout to retire early. Most won't retire without the payout (known as "early retirement packages"). People are motivated by money in those issues. Also, if what you're saying is true, why don't more players play for league minimum after they've earned millions and millions? Spoiler: it's because people are motivated by money and are very unlikely to give it up for nothing.

Why didn't Redden retire? He'd made millions and millions. Why didn't any of the other players who've made millions and millions retire when they got injured? The answer is because that would be stupid when they're guaranteed more millions of dollars by doing nothing.

He wouldn't be playing considering his medical issues. If he could, I guarantee he'd play for whatever they were paying.

Why don't you ask him for $10,000? If $4M is nothing to him, surely $10K is also nothing. It's like asking someone for change.

2802017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:
Ev wrote:
spader wrote:

They usually get a payout to retire early. Most won't retire without the payout (known as "early retirement packages"). People are motivated by money in those issues. Also, if what you're saying is true, why don't more players play for league minimum after they've earned millions and millions? Spoiler: it's because people are motivated by money and are very unlikely to give it up for nothing.

Why didn't Redden retire? He'd made millions and millions. Why didn't any of the other players who've made millions and millions retire when they got injured? The answer is because that would be stupid when they're guaranteed more millions of dollars by doing nothing.

He wouldn't be playing considering his medical issues. If he could, I guarantee he'd play for whatever they were paying.

Why don't you ask him for $10,000? If $4M is nothing to him, surely $10K is also nothing. It's like asking someone for change.

you are not understanding what I'm saying. Early retirement means you're leaving lots of money on the table. you do not get a payout, you get less money as a pension but you still get the pension.

Redden would have 100% retired if he was being paid 1 million to play in the AHL. It's just not worth it.

Trust me, Hossa would not be sitting out the season if he was going to earn a big paycheck.

2812017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I won't trust you, because you're speaking from a position of conjecture and ignorance (unless you've talked to him about it, in which case I withdraw that statement). Early retirement happens sometimes for sure, but it's also encouraged a lot by payment packages.

Either way, clearly we aren't going to agree, but I'd love to see some examples of people who retired early from the NHL when they could have gone on LTIR and collected. There are tons who stopped playing, but retirement is unnecessary when you can just continue sitting on the couch and collecting. Pronger didn't retire early. Marc Savard didn't retire early. Horton is still on the books. Like, literally no one does what you're suggesting. Correct me if I'm wrong and you can think of examples of people who dissolved their contracts because they'd made enough money.

Last edited by spader on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

2822017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

...and I'll take that cheque for 7% of your 12 year earnings anytime. You've made enough money.

2832017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:I won't trust you, because you're speaking from a position of conjecture and ignorance (unless you've talked to him about it, in which case I withdraw that statement). Early retirement happens sometimes for sure, but it's also encouraged a lot by payment packages.

Either way, clearly we aren't going to agree, but I'd love to see some examples of people who retired early from the NHL when they could have gone on LTIR and collected. There are tons who stopped playing, but retirement is unnecessary when you can just continue sitting on the couch and collecting. Pronger didn't retire early. Marc Savard didn't retire early. Horton is still on the books. Like, literally no one does what you're suggesting. Correct me if I'm wrong and you can think of examples of people who dissolved their contracts because they'd made enough money.

We're not on the same page because you're bring up something that I'm not arguing. Your examples are completely different. These guys have legit long term injuries that didn't allow them to play. Of course they wouldn't retire. I was talking about a guy like this who goes from a huge salary to nothing in one season at the end of his career. It wasn't just me. A TON of people speculated that Hossa might retire this season YEARS ago. Well before this allergy stuff. It's just convenient now and for the Hawks that suddenly this allergy doesn't allow him to play. If he didn't have this allergy he couldn't have just sat at home collecting money.I'm not talking about guys who are injured and can't play.

2842017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

and early pension collection happens a lot. NOt sometimes. I''m definitely not staying at my job longer just to get more money.

2852017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:28 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
spader wrote:I won't trust you, because you're speaking from a position of conjecture and ignorance (unless you've talked to him about it, in which case I withdraw that statement). Early retirement happens sometimes for sure, but it's also encouraged a lot by payment packages.

We're not on the same page because you're bring up something that I'm not arguing. Your examples are completely different. These guys have legit long term injuries that didn't allow them to play. Of course they wouldn't retire. I was talking about a guy like this who goes from a huge salary to nothing in one season at the end of his career. It wasn't just me. A TON of people speculated that Hossa might retire this season YEARS ago. Well before this allergy stuff. It's just convenient now and for the Hawks that suddenly this allergy doesn't allow him to play. If he didn't have this allergy he couldn't have just sat at home collecting money.I'm not talking about guys who are injured and can't play.

I thought we were talking about a guy with a debilitating health situation who is still under contract. You think he's sitting for a non-legit condition? I guess you're right. I'm not sure what you're saying. If he's out for a year, I call that a legit health situation.

2862017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:and early pension collection happens a lot. NOt sometimes. I''m definitely not staying at my job longer just to get more money.

If it was $1M you might. If you signed a contract and by retiring you cost your company millions (in this case, in cap recapture), you might. It's clearly different when your departure handcuffs the team.

Regardless, I guess we'll find out if he retires soon enough.

Obviously, I find the "he made enough money so he'll leave lots on the table" argument pretty silly. There's a huge difference between an injured/unhealthy NHL player retiring by choice when they could just collect the money sitting at home (like Hossa) and a person retiring early from a job that doesn't pay them for sitting at home (like you).

2872017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NHL is a different beast. Early retirement means your give up future earnings. You are not on a contract.

If Hossa retired he would lose the rest of his contact. The team would still be hit with $4.2 cap hit. Lose-lose. Only way he wins is he stays away for yep seasons then unretires and gets another contract for more than he lost. No guarantee there.

If he is bought out, he receives less money overall. He can make up the difference by getting another contract. He probably could but it would mean moving his family.  How much more could he make?  Plus it's not really his option, it's the team's, and buying him out will hurt in cap space.  No incentive for the team to do it.  Win-lose at best.

And of course with LTIR Hossa keeps his measly $4M, sounds like with his kids, and the team only pays what's not covered by insurance (couple hundred K). They get cap relief up to the full $4.2M.  Win-win.

2882017 Sens Off-Season  - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Sens Off-Season Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He won't retire I don't think, it's bad though apparently. Probably hoping they can come up with a fabric that doesn't cause him issue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 64]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 41 ... 64  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum