GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
Ev
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:I don't see anybody beating the sens in the first two rounds. We are too deep and play the right way

As long as Bobby sits?  Seems we can't win with him in the lineup.

Playoffs are a whole new season. I see Ryan, Big Mac, Brassard and Burrows being the big game players they need to be right out of the gate.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:Trap vs high flying offense.  Gonna be interesting

Edit: thought we were playing Toronto.

Maybe "Trap vs low-flying slew-foots or submarine hits".

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:I don't see anybody beating the sens in the first two rounds. We are too deep and play the right way

Playoffs are a whole new season.  I see Ryan, Big Mac, Brassard and Burrows being the big game players they need to be right out of the gate.

I'm liking Stalberg's game as well, looking forward to what he can bring to the playoffs.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

Playoffs are a whole new season.  I see Ryan, Big Mac, Brassard and Burrows being the big game players they need to be right out of the gate.

Weird combos I know, but I can see the Sens trying something a little different to attack the Bruins on all fronts

Hoffman-Pageau-Stone
Stalberg-Brassard-Burrows
Mac-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Kelly-Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:People just equate a tight defensive system with the trap.  Should we start a new thread for the series vs Boston?

They do try to control the neutral zone but it's hardly 1-3-1. People talk about Boucher like he invented the thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_zone_trap

The trap was innovated by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1920s and 1930s but became the defensive scheme for most coaches during the late 90s early 2000s—known as the "Dead Puck era"—as a direct result of the success seen by the New Jersey Devils under the coaching of Jacques Lemaire, who perfected the trap...

The Sens play a variation, for sure. Their two D start in their usual positions but the left-side D moves up if the puck carrier comes up the right side. They don't end up lining up four across in the middle, though; instead the left winger (or center) slides back to cover the LD position.

There is a similar D activation happening on the right side but primarily when they have control of the puck or are anticipating a possible turnover. And, of course, we all know the defensive parings are engineered for that -- smaller/faster PMD on the right, big-hitter on the left.

If Claesson is in for Methot to start then we could see something a little different. Claesson is not a big hitter (or hasn't learned how to be one yet) and moves the puck better than Methot. He also has the hardest shot on the team. And when Harpur trains up a bit we would have a potential big-hitter on the right side. But probably not until next season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

Weird combos I know, but I can see the Sens trying something a little different to attack the Bruins on all fronts

Hoffman-Pageau-Stone
Mac-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Kelly-Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

They are 4-0 against them this season, why would they change anything?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think I heard that the Sens are hopeful Methot can play in game 1? Can anyone confirm this? Is this possible?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

Hoffman-Pageau-Stone
Mac-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Kelly-Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

They are 4-0 against them this season, why would they change anything?

Have to get Smith and Ryan back in the lineup, and need Mac to be effective. I can see Stalberg and Smith switching lines, but that's about it.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I think I heard that the Sens are hopeful Methot can play in game 1?  Can anyone confirm this?  Is this possible?  

Boucher said that, yes, but he said game 3 or 4 is more realistic if he needs more time.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pretty even matchup.  Gonna be one of the better ones, probably a 7 gamer I'd guesd

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rask has a lot more experience in the playoffs and a better record, but SV% is close, with Anderson slightly ahead (.933 to .930).

Boston is in trouble on the back-end. Karlsson got hurt but he was never on crutches and he missed the last 3 games and 5 of the last 6, I think. So he's had a lot more time to heal from what looked like a less severe injury than Krug. Krug played the second-most on the team behind Chara. Chara is old and slow. He's still good but he is far from great. Then on top of Krug they also lost Carlo (Chara's usual partner) in the Caps game. No idea on how badly hurt he was but it was a huge hit.

here, take a look and tell me he's not concussed:

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The one thing that scares me about Boston is Rask. Dude is good.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:I think I heard that the Sens are hopeful Methot can play in game 1?  Can anyone confirm this?  Is this possible?  

Boucher said that, yes, but he said game 3 or 4 is more realistic if he needs more time.

I heard Boucher say they're hopeful he'll be ready for game one but, if not then probable for game 2 or 3 I think. It's what I remember hearing in the post game after the Rangers game.

- Unknown Author

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

IMO series won't be close. Sens in 5. Boston's defence is not good.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:IMO series won't be close. Sens in 5. Boston's defence is not good.

I think Carlo is injured also.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoffman - Turris - Stone 
Mac - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Burrows
Stalberg - Kelly - Pyatt

So wingels and dzingel scratched I assume?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Hoffman - Turris - Stone 
Mac - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Burrows
Stalberg - Kelly - Pyatt

So wingels and dzingel scratched I assume?

Boucher confirms Stalberg-Brssard-Burrows will be a line

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So Dorion said that Smith and Karlsson are ready for Game 1 and they think Methot will play in Game 1 as well.  Wow.  A "healthy" lineup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum