GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

World Cup of Hockey 2016 - All Purpose Thread

+4
wprager
PTFlea
Flo The Action
SensHulk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Think the WCH 2016 deserves its own thread.  

wprager wrote:Russia hangs on to defeat the Czechs 4-3.  It's just exhibition, but apparently the game got a little heated.

wprager wrote:Finland over Sweden 3-2 in OT.  Laine said he didn't like anything about his own game.  I dunno, would have preferred the player to say the cliched "The team won, so that's the most important part; hopefully I can play better next time and contribute."  In his defense, though, I don't think he got his NHL Rookie Book of Hockey Cliches yet.

wprager wrote:Hossa (Team Euro) left the game early after getting hit with the puck on his foot, and had to go for x-rays at a hospital.  Reports are that he had a bruise (no fracture) and will stay in the World Cup.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think so too.
Do we only have karlsson at the tournament?
I read in TSN that teams have an average of 6 players going in. We got lucky if he's the only one representing us. But he gets injured that's a major piece.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, having only one player is a good thing.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I believe the sens are tied for the lowest number of players at the tourney. It's a shame and a blessing at the same time

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoff-Machine wrote:I believe the sens are tied for the lowest number of players at the tourney.  It's a shame and a blessing at the same time
I'll take the shame if it means we get off to a good start without injuries which translates into a playoff birth. Then who knows, I'm probably getting my hopes up too early but I'm gunning for a second round series.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently Chara is rapidly aging. At one point he was -3 and someone tweeted that it's usually a meaningless stat, but not in his case.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mmm, ribs. There is a RibFest going on in Kanata. KRC. I think I'll swing by and bring home some smoked goodness for supper.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoff-Machine wrote:I believe the sens are tied for the lowest number of players at the tourney.  It's a shame and a blessing at the same time

Hey, if they don't want Stone then that's fine and dandy. Turris and Brassard would never make it over the superstars they have in that lineup. Ryan has had two off years in a row and doesn't deserve to be on USA, Hoffman won't supplant the stars on Canada, Pageau could make these silly tournaments at some point, but who cares really, Anderson not making it isn't a big deal, he's 108 years old at this point, Phaneuf was probably briefly considered, Methot's not quite good enough, Ceci's not ready.

It's not a shame really, it's that Canada is stacked and Ryan has blown chunks recently.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PTFlea wrote:

Hey, if they don't want Stone then that's fine and dandy.  Turris and Brassard would never make it over the superstars they have in that lineup.  Ryan has had two off years in a row and doesn't deserve to be on USA, Hoffman won't supplant the stars on Canada, Pageau could make these silly tournaments at some point, but who cares really, Anderson not making it isn't a big deal, he's 108 years old at this point, Phaneuf was probably briefly considered, Methot's not quite good enough, Ceci's not ready.

It's not a shame really, it's that Canada is stacked and Ryan has blown chunks recently.

Canada keeps taking centers and playing them on the wing. Like I said before, Stone is second only to Core Perry as a Canadian RW, just 1 point back with 7 fewer games played. He's led the league in takeaways his two full seasons. He's fairly unique in that he's a great defensive weapon who also will score 25 goals and 60 points. His time will come, I think.

Now, what on Earth is Bouwmeester doing there? Sure, he has lots of international experience, but has he done much with that experience? Plus, like Anderson, he's 108 years old.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Hey, if they don't want Stone then that's fine and dandy.  Turris and Brassard would never make it over the superstars they have in that lineup.  Ryan has had two off years in a row and doesn't deserve to be on USA, Hoffman won't supplant the stars on Canada, Pageau could make these silly tournaments at some point, but who cares really, Anderson not making it isn't a big deal, he's 108 years old at this point, Phaneuf was probably briefly considered, Methot's not quite good enough, Ceci's not ready.

Canada keeps taking centers and playing them on the wing.  Like I said before, Stone is second only to Core Perry as a Canadian RW, just 1 point back with 7 fewer games played.  He's led the league in takeaways his two full seasons.  He's fairly unique in that he's a great defensive weapon who also will score 25 goals and 60 points.  His time will come, I think.

Now, what on Earth is Bouwmeester doing there?  Sure, he has lots of international experience, but has he done much with that experience?  Plus, like Anderson, he's 108 years old.  

Yeah, no idea. Again, if that's what they want we should be happy our players aren't undergoing wear and tear in friggin pre pre-season. It's all good.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

For just an exhibition game the Americans were taking a lot of unnecessary (?) extra shots, late hits, hits from behind, head shots. And the refs let most of it go unchecked. Don't think that will happen against other teams -- Canada has a reputation for dishing it out so it looked like they just let them play. Weber was fine; if anything, Kesler was lucky he got thrown out because Weber would have been coming after him. But Giroux wasn't very effective the rest of the way and I didn't even see Couture after the Oshie hit (I read that he returned in the 3rd but don't remember him doing anything). That was a bad hit, IMO. His head was already down so Oshie had to go way out of his way to deliver, essentially, an elbow to the head, from behind, driving him into the boards. With a linesman right there, watching it from 10 feet away. I'm not sure what linesmen are allowed to call but they really should expand it to player safety issues, if it's not already the case. Leave the technical stuff to the refs (what's holding, hooking, etc.) but heashots, hits from behind, boarding, hair pulling, head butting, charging, let the linesemen call those ones.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How's the game so far? I'm over at my mom's (she just got back from Dallas) and she doesn't have TSN Sad

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any good streams?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nevermind, got one

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Had to listen to the game in French on some FM station. Switched half-way to another one (also French, also FM) when the signal from the first one made it unbearable. I get it that both the Fury and Impact were playing, but you still have AM 800 in Montreal and 580 in Ottawa that could cover the hockey game, now?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum