GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Redblacks Grey Cup Championship Thread

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Redblacks start the season off on the right note with a 45-37 OT win over the Eskimos.  Not quite a replay of the Grey Cup as both teams have had lots of off-season changes.  Nice to get a win (first time over Edmonton).  Harris to Sinopoli for the winning score (Burris was injured earlier in the game).  Not much defense in this game.  Let's face it, that's a 8-7 hockey score.  Wonder if they gave out free pizza.

Last edited by wprager on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Milo with a 55 yard boot as time expired to force OT. Game was wild. Redblacks led by 7 half way through the 4th.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Burris' injury (pinky) does not appear to be serious.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Trevor Harris's first play coming in after Burris went down was a 70 yard touchdown pass.  Milo's tying 55 yard field goal with no time left on the clock was the longest of his career.

Milo is bada$$!
2016 Redblacks Grey Cup Championship Thread Cl197LEXEAApRUy

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, lately Milo has been just "bad". But the team keeps on winning. I saw about half the Argos game while on the exercise bike. Officiating in the CFL is getting ridiculous. Every play there's either a flag or a challenge or both. Good comeback win. I felt they were down primarily because of some ridiculous calls on the field (and some non-calls) so good on them to come back and take the W (especially after they pissed away the win in the home opener).

Harris set a record for best completion percentage in a single game with 30+ attempts. The guy's on fire. When Burris is healthy he might have to wait his turn.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Loosing streak is over. Redblacks with the come-back 23-20 win over the Eskimos. Hank with 2 TD passes (but one weird interception -- pass was way low and hit Williams on the foot, bounced up in the air for an interception and a TD the other way). Apparently he got a little feisty with the criticism he hears from the TSN panel and fired back at them a couple times. Words were said.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wish I could find a transcript. WiFi here is pretty bad so watching a video is nearly impossible. Basically, Burris was asked a question about his emotional speech to the team and Hank went off on how he's being criticized by the TSN panel and to tell them all to shove it.

It didn't end there. Later on he said something along the lines how they don't know anything about football (Milt Stegall, Matt Dunnigan, Jock Climie). Hank will probably regret some of what he said but you can see the guy was fired up.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Back in the winning column but that was not pretty. I mostly listened to the game on the way home from Montreal (dropping my son off at McGill). Can anyone explain why, by the time I got to Calypso I could still only listen to TSN 690 and not TSN 1200? 690 was coming through crystal clear, as was 580, but 1200 was nearly impossible to hear.

P.S. I lived in Montreal for over 20 years in the late '70s to early '90s and I've never seen traffic this bad. Sherbrooke is all torn up, and there's construction also on Dr. Penfield. I dropped him off to see the guidance counselor around 3 and was going to meet him at 5:30 at the apartment as he moved in. Hit the Guy exit around 5:20 but did not get to the apartment (on Lorne in the student ghetto) until nearly 2 hours later! It was pretty bad around 3 but with the game on it got even worse.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TSN1200 needs better and stronger radio signals? 580 and 690 invest more in that regard?

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:TSN1200 needs better and stronger radio signals?  580 and 690 invest more in that regard?

Both 1200 and 690 are TSN stations. I just find it odd how 1200 drops their signal strength at night this much. By the way, 800 AM (also in Montreal) seems to be just as weak as 1200 (during the day as well as at night). It used to be that the CRTC would have very strong rules about the transmit power used (you tend to receive a lot of far-away US stations at night because the CRTC mandates that you drop your transmission power significantly after sundown -- apparently the sun interferes with the signal).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

RedBlacks host Hamilton tonight. A win gets them a bye as the host to the Eastern semis. They beat Hamilton *in* Hamilton last week. The Ticats' punt returner (Banks) is suspended for failing a drug test. Ottawa's had trouble in the past with punt returns so this will certainly help. The weather is going to be horrible. Wet and cold. I don't think that favors Ottawa.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

did they win

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:did they win

No, blew a 15-point lead and lost in the second OT minigame. But Hamilton then lost to Edmonton so the Redblacks again need to just win to clinch the East.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Chris Milo is a late scratch so they have no place kicker. They are forced to go with the 2 point convert attempt and score both times. Then when it would have been something like a 52 year attempt they end up punting and the kicker puts it through the endzone for a single. 17-3 at the half.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This time they grabbed the lead and kept adding to it. 20-3 with under 3 minutes to go, they let the Bombers do the short plays to keep it to one possession. Winnipeg did score but my then there were just second left on the game clock, so Burris takes the knee twice and they can go and celebrate.

Six road wins is impressive. Now, if they could only start winning at home -- next week they close out the regular season against these same Winnipeg Bombers, who are still fighting to keep their playoff position. So it might be a nothing game for the Redblacks but probably not for the Bombers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum