GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #58: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Wednesday, Feb 10 2016

+6
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

GAME DAY #58: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Wednesday, Feb 10 2016

("Snow Day" edition)

GAME DAY #58: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Wednesday, Feb 10 2016 Large GAME DAY #58: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Wednesday, Feb 10 2016 Play11 GAME DAY #58: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Wednesday, Feb 10 2016 Large

Well, so much for keeping the shots on goal under 30. The Sens are now 0-3 since "The Trade" and allowed 40 shots on goal in their last outing. While not mathematically eliminated from post-season play, the Sens find themselves just 7 points out last place (Toronto) and 8 points out of a wildcard spot (Tampa). Both the Leafs and Bolts have 2 games in hand. Is it time to shut down the walking injured (Turris, Borowiecki), reduce Karlsson's ice time and play the snot out of Hammond, Hoffman, Smith, Neil, Prince, WIercioch? Hoffman has 24 goals in 57 games, so more than on pace for 40. Don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get to that magic number. And with the pressure of winning off, Wiercioch could go on a nice little run to amp up his trade value a little.

Barring yet another generational playoff run like last year, the Sens are done. On the bright side, Canadian ratings for the TSN Draft Day presentations will probably be through the roof. Time to go make that "Trade Day Speculations" thread.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I want Hoffman to get 40 and I want Karlsson to get 82+. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Sens want Hoffman to get as little as possible to minimize the value of his next contract.

Evander Kane was suspended by the Sabres for missing practice. Apparently he attended the NBA All Star game instead (this is hilarious). So he won't play against us.

The Lehner will be in net. He's been all over the place since returning from injury.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Whoa! Stuntman Stu is battling leukemia. Sens extended family just keeps getting punched in the gut over and over.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:The Sens want Hoffman to get as little as possible to minimize the value of his next contract.  

Evander Kane was suspended by the Sabres for missing practice.  Apparently he attended the NBA All Star game instead (this is hilarious).  So he won't play against us.

The Lehner will be in net.  He's been all over the place since returning from injury.

I don't care about Melnyk's pocket, don't you see? If Hoffman stays a Senator then I want him to get 40. If he leaves, he's still an RFA so the Sens will get a good return for him, and a better one if he scores 40. They could sign him easily for a one-year deal (at worst, $6M or a bit under through arbitration) and then trade him, or just trade him outright.

So, a hattrick for Hoffman and all assists to Karlsson, in addition to a goal or two himself.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You can trade a guy with a year left on his deal and poised to go to free agency, sure, but that doesn't maximize his value. The time to trade him would be, well, sometime in the next two weeks. If he's still on our roster, the Sens better sign him long-term.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:You can trade a guy with a year left on his deal and poised to go to free agency, sure, but that doesn't maximize his value.  The time to trade him would be, well, sometime in the next two weeks.  If he's still on our roster, the Sens better sign him long-term.  

Impossible to tell at this point what his value would be. He hasn't scored 40 goals *yet* and there's no guarantee he'll be at 25+ at next year's trade deadline. If he is and he is not signed long-term then he'd be on a one-year $6M deal with a 27 goal rookie year and a 40 goal follow-up season. There are endless other possibilities (he gets stalled and doesn't reach 30, gets extended at $5M for 2-3 years; he gets his 40 and extends for 2-3 seasons at $6M; he gets his 40 and extends for even longer at $7M; etc.)

He'd have trade value in pretty much all scenarios (barring injury). I am not convinced his trade value will be lower if he doesn't get 40 goals. So I'm hoping he gets 40.

After all, it's just Melnyk's money, right?

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:You can trade a guy with a year left on his deal and poised to go to free agency, sure, but that doesn't maximize his value.  The time to trade him would be, well, sometime in the next two weeks.  If he's still on our roster, the Sens better sign him long-term.  
Anytime before or at the draft is fine. You just can't wait until he files for arbitration.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:The Sens want Hoffman to get as little as possible to minimize the value of his next contract.  

Evander Kane was suspended by the Sabres for missing practice.  Apparently he attended the NBA All Star game instead (this is hilarious).  So he won't play against us.

The Lehner will be in net.  He's been all over the place since returning from injury.

He had one poor start, giving up 4 goals on 12 shots to Florida. Excluding that game and his first game back (rust) he has stopped 235 of 251 shots, for a .936 SV%. For the season, overall, he has a decent .921 SV%. Considering he's had to battle back from a major injury (and has played on a terrible team) I'd say he's done alright.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nick Paul is back up with the Sens.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoffman + ZBad + Wiercioch for Drouin + Tyler Johnson + mid pick

There, I solved everything.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like that

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't. Give up one small player who could score 40 goals this season for *two* small players, one of whom is on the wrong slope (is he a 25 goal scorer or 10?) and another who has proven nothing at the NHL level.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Any updates on Borowiecki?

Apparently ZBad is feeling under the weather (flu?) and Paul has been recalled in case he can't play tonight.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Neat:

Dzingel-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Lazar-Chiasson
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Prince-Paul-Neil

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next