GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
Oglethorpe
TheAvatar
spader
Flo The Action
tim1_2
PTFlea
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
Ev
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:So it doesn't bother anybody that we included extra assets in the trade in order to also include Cowen/Greening?

Not me. Lindberg + 2nd is about right for Phaneuf. Plus 2 horrible contracts and 1 questionable one. It all works out.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

phaneuf had to waive right? so he wanted to be here.

We were on his list of teams he'd agree to.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:So it doesn't bother anybody that we included extra assets in the trade in order to also include Cowen/Greening?

I didn't think there'd be any way to trade them without those assets. Or taking on another bad contract. No on is just going to take greening off our hands for nothing.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

This is correct. Now, the question is, did Dion put us on that list because he figured there's no way he'd ever get dealt here? We'll never know.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

This is correct.  Now, the question is, did Dion put us on that list because he figured there's no way he'd ever get dealt here?  We'll never know.

ummmm. i dont know. dion wanted out of toronto. why put teams on your list you wouldn't want to go to as opposed to teams you would want to go. this isn't about a player being asked to leave a very good team. this is about a player being asked to leave a bad situation and isn't likely to get better by the time his contract is over. here he has a chance to win and compete for the remainder of his contract. if anything BM said phaneuf was very excited to join the team.

this could be very good for us.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

His contract is decent too. He's a ~40 point D-man, huge, veteran, Norris nominee. He'd be paid 7 mil on the open market.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes, this could be very good for us. It could also be not good for us. We are going to find out, over the course of the next 5+ years.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:, Norris nominee

Let's Cussing cool it, alright? He was a nominee in 2008. That's a long time ago.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

Let's Cussing cool it, alright?  He was a nominee in 2008.  That's a long time ago.
Laughing3

someone has a hard time detaching the player from the team! Sarcasm

i have very mixed emotions myself but i don't see how this doesn't make us a better team now and in the next few years. he has his flaws but he's way better surrounded here. he would have to be a complete idiot to mess it up.

did we just inherit another hot Hockey wife? Ahhhhh!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Let's Cussing cool it, alright?  He was a nominee in 2008.  That's a long time ago.

i have very mixed emotions myself but i don't see how this doesn't make us a better team now and in the next few years.

There's a reason they traded him away. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. We're going to find out. It's too early to say that this was a good trade for us, as we haven't seen Phaneuf in a Sens jersey yet. I'm just advising caution.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:

Still...once a nominee... Ahhhhh!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
dennycrane wrote:16-17 Salary:

Greening/Michalek/Cowen - 11.7 million

Yeah, Phaneuf's first year and a bit is paid by those guys.  The only one who hurts a little is Michalek - and even then...

Phaneuf was already paid $2M signing bonus so his salary this year is $6M, pro-rated. Cowen+Greening+Michalek add up to $10.25 (payroll) and $11.7M next season. Total savings over the 2 years (assuming approximately 35% of this season is left, hence savings is reduced) of over $5.6M. Phaneuf's salary over the next 4 seasons adds up to $26.5M, less the $5.6M savings, and you are getting Phaneuf at $5.225M per year for the next 4 years. He'll be 35 when this contract is over. Do I need to remind you all how much we were paying Phillips?

About the only thing I'm not sure about is whether we keep Phaneuf playing with Ceci or move him up to the top pairing (his adjusted salary is still a bit higher than Methot's). If that's the only question mark about this trade then it's clearly a great deal for Ottawa.

Now, we have lost veteran leadership in Michalek (he would have been back for the playoff push and the post-season) and I still think that needs to be addressed. Wonder what Wiercioch + Prince/Puempel could fetch.

Losing Lindberg is a shame because I think he's a very good prospect. But just a prospect. And that 2nd is likely not a very high one.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

i have very mixed emotions myself but i don't see how this doesn't make us a better team now and in the next few years.  

There's a reason they traded him away.  Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.  We're going to find out.  It's too early to say that this was a good trade for us, as we haven't seen Phaneuf in a Sens jersey yet.  I'm just advising caution.  

they traded him away because he does not fit into the plans of the franchise going forward. he'll be 35 by the time they start making some noise. waste of an asset. they had to trade him the same way they had to trade kessel. (mind you that one came with his own baggage also).

caution for sure. but this is an upgrade no matter how you look at it and what did it cost the team that has been playing? sometimes Milo? naw.... this is a win and at a very low cost if you ask me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Laughing3

i have very mixed emotions myself but i don't see how this doesn't make us a better team now and in the next few years. he has his flaws but he's way better surrounded here. he would have to be a complete idiot to mess it up.

Bingo! Ever since we lost Carrie we needed a new fresh face.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=elisha+cuthbert&tbm=isch&imgil=oNO-E4qX_fFopM%253A%253BB4tOE_GzVFvtcM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.santabanta.com%25252Fwallpapers%25252Felisha-cuthbert%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=oNO-E4qX_fFopM%253A%252CB4tOE_GzVFvtcM%252C_&biw=1333&bih=636&usg=__OGy32HNWyR8P76Gme4yb61IiP78%3D&ved=0ahUKEwifhuCUr-vKAhXC6x4KHRfHDEUQyjcIogE&ei=lDe6Vp_sJ8LXe5eOs6gE#imgrc=_&usg=__OGy32HNWyR8P76Gme4yb61IiP78%3D

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cowen and Kadri in the same dressing room. Awkward.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a Cowen jersey. Do I...do I......just get...Phaneuf...on it...now?

Hold me, I'm scared.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:Michalek Sad

Milo Crying

Looks like I'll need to change my username

How about Phanthera. Sorry, I'm not up on metal rock bands.

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 19 CayqcRGUkAEtuOe

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Laughing3

Bingo!  Ever since we lost Carrie we needed a new fresh face.  

https://www.google.ca/search?q=elisha+cuthbert&tbm=isch&imgil=oNO-E4qX_fFopM%253A%253BB4tOE_GzVFvtcM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.santabanta.com%25252Fwallpapers%25252Felisha-cuthbert%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=oNO-E4qX_fFopM%253A%252CB4tOE_GzVFvtcM%252C_&biw=1333&bih=636&usg=__OGy32HNWyR8P76Gme4yb61IiP78%3D&ved=0ahUKEwifhuCUr-vKAhXC6x4KHRfHDEUQyjcIogE&ei=lDe6Vp_sJ8LXe5eOs6gE#imgrc=_&usg=__OGy32HNWyR8P76Gme4yb61IiP78%3D

easy on the eyes.... this won't help us or the players concentrate on the game....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum