GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
Oglethorpe
TheAvatar
spader
Flo The Action
tim1_2
PTFlea
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
Ev
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:Michalek Sad

Milo Crying

Looks like I'll need to change my username

Same reaction as "Karls" Karlsson. Michalek = Pure Cussing class

Agreed. I'd say an appreciation thread is due. More than 7 solid seasons here Cheers

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Flo The Action wrote:It just goes to show that we never know what BM is up to.

Wonder what leaf land thinks about this?

Here in leaf land they are loving this deal, they are happy to get rid of Phaneuf. Some mentioned that it's a way to get rid of another piece that Burke brought in.

They can't believe a team would take Phaneuf's contract.

I think Lindberg might be brought in to play with Nylander.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So what we gave up, really, is Michalek, a 2nd, and Lindberg for Phaneuf. We addressed our #1 need by just giving up a depth roster player.

I think I'm happy for now. Lindberg could hurt.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DirtyDave wrote:Thoughts on leafs fans that live in Ottawa that have Phaneuf jerseys?

Who is trolling who in this scenario?

lol, that sucks.

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:Michalek Sad

Milo Crying

Looks like I'll need to change my username

Same reaction as "Karls" Karlsson. Michalek = Pure Cussing class

Agreed.  I'd say an appreciation thread is due.  More than 7 solid seasons here Cheers
Yeah, never was anything but a warrior for us.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well my day is Cussed now. How the hell can I concentrate!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, even if they're idiot Leaf fans, there's a reason they are happy that Phaneuf is history. Obviously not being under as big a microscope will help him here. Can't wait for that next game against Toronto.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:One thing that's a little sad is we likely had to add useful pieces (2nd round pick/Lindberg) to the deal to get Toronto to take the Cowen/Greening contracts.

You don't think we would have had to pay at least a 2nd to get Dion Phaneuf?

Question: Do you think that the Cowen and Greening contracts were viewed as assets in this deal, or anchors that the Sens were paying them to take away. So we likely added something to the pot (Lindberg, the 2nd, or Michalek, or some variation thereof) in order to include Greening and Cowen. So we included extra assets to help the financial bottom line.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:One thing that's a little sad is we likely had to add useful pieces (2nd round pick/Lindberg) to the deal to get Toronto to take the Cowen/Greening contracts.

Question: Do you think that the Cowen and Greening contracts were viewed as assets in this deal, or anchors that the Sens were paying them to take away.  So we likely added something to the pot (Lindberg, the 2nd, or Michalek, or some variation thereof) in order to include Greening and Cowen.  So we included extra assets to help the financial bottom line.

Yeah, but there was zero retention from Toronto, that's costs Toronto as well. I'd say Cowen doesn't even matter because of his tiny buyout of 700K plus the cap CREDIT which is weird. So greening is collateral damage for taking the entire contract.

So it's a 2nd plus Lindberg plus Michalek for Phaneuf in essence, which is more than fair (to us) IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, even if they're idiot Leaf fans, there's a reason they are happy that Phaneuf is history.  Obviously not being under as big a microscope will help him here.  Can't wait for that next game against Toronto.

I really think that's a huge part of the deal. Karlsson is THE MAN, so Dion doesn't have to always worry about every single mistake. I like this trade a lot, I'll go down as standing by it, even if Dion sucks - which I don't think he will.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:

Question: Do you think that the Cowen and Greening contracts were viewed as assets in this deal, or anchors that the Sens were paying them to take away.  So we likely added something to the pot (Lindberg, the 2nd, or Michalek, or some variation thereof) in order to include Greening and Cowen.  So we included extra assets to help the financial bottom line.
I think they take a chance on Cowen and hope it works for them. I also think they will try to move milo this year or next for a pick.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

What gets lost in this is:
1. Giving Cody Ceci a better partner will make him MUCH better
2. Michalek was overpaid and injury-prone
3. Ottawa's building is not always sold out. This will drive ticket sales in the short term and if, IF, the team has a couple of home playoff games, extra money helps soften the blow of the additional salary.

Dion Phaneuf for nobody that played in the last two games? Deal.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So it doesn't bother anybody that we included extra assets in the trade in order to also include Cowen/Greening?

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:So it doesn't bother anybody that we included extra assets in the trade in order to also include Cowen/Greening?

No. If Milan Michalek were put on waivers tomorrow, with that contract, I'm not convinced he would be picked up. He has 10 points this year on a 4 million dollar deal. And another year after that.

I see the deal as Lindberg and a second for Phaneuf with Ottawa dumping money now and taking on some down the road. They are a better team today.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

You could probably get a 2017 2nd round pick for him.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:So it doesn't bother anybody that we included extra assets in the trade in order to also include Cowen/Greening?

did we though? or is it that we sent them salary back because phaneuf salary at 7 mill for another 5 yearss was seen as too fat. if you take those guys away we still paid a cheap price for that deal. a couple weeks ago we were talking about buyout for both guys. milo is injury prone, and a send rounder and a B-level prospect.

poor poor milo though. didn't sound like he was happy to waive. hope they flip him somewhere else. a contender somewhere else.

phaneuf had to waive right? so he wanted to be here.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not me. Lindberg + 2nd is about right for Phaneuf. Plus 2 horrible contracts and 1 questionable one. It all works out.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

phaneuf had to waive right? so he wanted to be here.

We were on his list of teams he'd agree to.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I didn't think there'd be any way to trade them without those assets. Or taking on another bad contract. No on is just going to take greening off our hands for nothing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum