GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do we fix the Senators

+10
dennycrane
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
wprager
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 27]

241How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:24 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:Question everyone. Say we had to move either Chabot or white Ina deal for Drouin? Who would you rather have moved?

I personally don't feel I can answer that right now. White might come very handy if Zib doesn't really pan out but Chabot might be the heir apparent to take over for methot on the first pairing one day. What do you do?

With a Drouin trade looming as a possibility and the reported price being of prospects that could be available to play in the not so distant future you have to ask yourself the question of who management would lean to trade?

Neither. I wouldnt move either personally.

242How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

If the Oilers win the lottery or get a top 3 pick they will have to go with a forward again or trade the pick. I would move 2 of Chabot, White, Zib, 2016 first (if not top3) along with Weircioc for Draisaitl.

243How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:33 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:If the Oilers win the lottery or get a top 3 pick they will have to go with a forward again or trade the pick.  I would move 2 of Chabot, White, Zib, 2016 first (if not top3) along with Weircioc for Draisaitl.  

That's crazy, White might be as valuable as Draisaitl in the near future.

244How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:00 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was gonna say the same. Not a fan of moving white...at all.

245How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:56 am

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:If the Oilers win the lottery or get a top 3 pick they will have to go with a forward again or trade the pick.  I would move 2 of Chabot, White, Zib, 2016 first (if not top3) along with Weircioc for Draisaitl.  

Watch Draisitl play, he's already damn good at 20. White is an unknown.

246How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:14 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm not sure where the idea of trading for Draisaitl came from, but I don't think the Oilers will have any interest in that. The rumour for the past year is that they will trade RNH.

247How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:26 am

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:I'm not sure where the idea of trading for Draisaitl came from, but I don't think the Oilers will have any interest in that.  The rumour for the past year is that they will trade RNH.
I was saying if they won the draft lottery again. They would have McDavid, Matthews, RNH and Draisitl. They could move RNH and Draisitl for young backend help.

248How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Oilers will not win the lottery. The NHL has no interest in that. White hasn't had a single game as a pro. Pierre says he is NHL ready next season but, hey, we have a bunch of "NHL ready" players. We need top-end elite-level skill of some form or another. All of Lazar's "intangibles" haven't amounted to a hill of beans. White is ranked 19th among drafted prospects. I'm not saying that's a correct placement for him down the road, but it's as good an assessment as there is. It's not like he dominated the WJC and led his team to a medal, right?

But would I use a prospect like White to get a prospect like Drouin? Absolutely no effin' way! Yzerman has strong-armed himself into a corner. Now, instead of a highly touted prospect that he is willing to trade since he needs help in other areas, he has a 20-year-old who has been lapped by all his draft peers and has shown nothing at the pro-level except not being a pro. Good luck with that. He's 20 and we don't know the whole story and lots of people will come out in defense of his character but the facts are that he has shown nothing at the pro level to indicate he will be anything special offensively, and he has (at least on the surface) shown character flaws. Jared Cowen was drafted a little lower and is a D-man, but there are many similarities otherwise.

249How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:36 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Watch Draisitl play, he's already damn good at 20.  White is an unknown.  

I've seen plenty. I don't think he's worth 2 top prospects. One for one yeah I'd do it.

250How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Watch Draisitl play, he's already damn good at 20.  White is an unknown.  

I've seen plenty. I don't think he's worth 2 top prospects. One for one yeah I'd do it.
You need to watch more closely this year. He is such a good 2 way player already at 20. His stats are even really good if you prefer that to the eye test. 40 points in 46 games and one of only 3 plus players on a very young and very poor defensive team.

251How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Anyway the Oilers are going to trade RNH first, not Draisaitl.

252How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:31 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Funny how looking back at the draft our best players were the 4-6th rounders while the 1st rounders from the same years have been either traded or underwhelming.

253How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:02 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:Funny how looking back at the draft our best players were the 4-6th rounders while the 1st rounders from the same years have been either traded or underwhelming.

If you look back at, say, the last 10 years, there's only a couple bad picks that stand out...Brian Lee, Jim O'Brien, and now Jared Cowen. ZBad was taken too high likely, but the book's not closed on him yet. Even with Cowen, it wasn't a bad pick at the time, it just didn't work out.

254How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

the test of a truly good org in drafting is set in the latter rounds. there's going to be mistakes done in all rounds obviously, even in the first.

i just hope that when BM retire we can edge along back towards drafting skill as opposed to the compete level being high and above all else. it's great with guys like Lazar but there are likely players that have more skills that could of been had.

but whatever. lazar will be traded in the Drouin deal.

255How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Funny how looking back at the draft our best players were the 4-6th rounders while the 1st rounders from the same years have been either traded or underwhelming.

If you look back at, say, the last 10 years, there's only a couple bad picks that stand out...Brian Lee, Jim O'Brien, and now Jared Cowen.  ZBad was taken too high likely, but the book's not closed on him yet.  Even with Cowen, it wasn't a bad pick at the time, it just didn't work out.

Umm, a top-10 pick that doesn't work out *is* a bad pick.

256How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

If you look back at, say, the last 10 years, there's only a couple bad picks that stand out...Brian Lee, Jim O'Brien, and now Jared Cowen.  ZBad was taken too high likely, but the book's not closed on him yet.  Even with Cowen, it wasn't a bad pick at the time, it just didn't work out.

Some years are worst than others though in the draft. I think Scott glennie would hang his head on that one also.

257How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:42 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

For Diddle's sake.

258How do we fix the Senators - Page 17 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't understand you. If a high pick didn't work out you picked wrong, plain and simple.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum