GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do we fix the Senators

+10
dennycrane
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
wprager
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 22 of 27]

316How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This may be too much musing but in the eventuality that the team right now doesn't think they can resign Hoffman, do they trade him to Anaheim for a package including one of their young blue liners and then flip Ceci for drouin?
That's a lot of moving parts but yeah.... Anaheim needs this kind of deal and Hoffman is at an all time high.

Edit: the advantage with having phaneuf now is we could ideally trade Ceci and whoever we could trade Hoffman for is either a LEfty or a righty as phaneuf can play both sides.

317How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:45 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

The D is set. Let's not mess around with it.
TBH I don't even have an issue with the lineup right now. They just need to tighten up their defensive game.

318How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:The D is set. Let's not mess around with it.
TBH I don't even have an issue with the lineup right now. They just need to tighten up their defensive game.
You may not have a prob with the line-up but it may not be able to stay that way. We might not be able to retain Hoff. We could use an upgrade over Zib. And we need help on the LW.(which is debatable how we get there)

319How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:23 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Might be an off-season topic, but there's no way with the cap reducing the Blackhawks can keep the lineup they have. The obvious casualty this time has to be Marian Hossa...$5.25M on the cap hit but only $4M salary next season, followed by 4 seasons of $1M annual.

With the price Patrick Sharp was shipped out for, I can't see it being too much more for a 37 year old. Question is, would Hoss, after numerous Stanley Cup Championships and lots of cash, be willing to waive to come back to Ottawa....

320How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Why so much worry about re-signing Hoff. He will get his money and stay.

321How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Another major fix would be having a healthy macarthur. Hopefully he can come back next year ready to go - he's apparently taken part in battle drills and was targeting a return in 2 weeks or so, but might now shut it down because the Sens will likely miss the playoffs.

322How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:Why so much worry about re-signing Hoff.  He will get his money and stay.  

Because it's such a question mark. That's what you hope for. But if not he becomes a problem. It's like having a guy a year away from UFA.

323How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:Why so much worry about re-signing Hoff.  He will get his money and stay.  

Because it's such a question mark. That's what you hope for. But if not he becomes a problem. It's like having a guy a year away from UFA.
He is a year away from UFA. He has not made a lot of cash so far and he is 26, he will take 25M and say thank you.

324How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:36 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

He is a year away from UFA.  He has not made a lot of cash so far and he is 26, he will take 25M and say thank you.  
I truly freaking hope so!

325How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

He is a year away from UFA.  He has not made a lot of cash so far and he is 26, he will take 25M and say thank you.  

I've stated all over these forums why it might be hard to sign Hoffman long-term.

326How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's hard to sign anyone, these days. Chiasson took the Sens to arbitration, for pete's sake. Chiasson! At least a guy who's led your team in scoring each of his first two full seasons is worth going after. A guy you drafted and developed. Do you pay a bit more to keep him? I would. Encourages everyone through the ranks to try harder.

327How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:24 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:It's hard to sign anyone, these days.  Chiasson took the Sens to arbitration, for pete's sake.  Chiasson!  At least a guy who's led your team in scoring each of his first two full seasons is worth going after.  A guy you drafted and developed.  Do you pay a bit more to keep him?  I would.  Encourages everyone through the ranks to try harder.  

Totally agree. You run the risk of someone getting injured as well. DiPietro is an extreme case but look what happened there. And if you sign someone to a 1-2 year deal you run the risk of them signing elsewhere for more money. Turris contract is probably the best contract in the NHL. Hoffman will probably get a 5x5 contract. It's good market value assuming he keeps up his production, great value if he can score 35+ consistently, and terrible if he's a 20 goal player.

I think we'll be a much different team next year. Personally I'd try to get rid of Zib but it's likely not going to happen.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zib-Ryan
Drouin-Pageau-Lazar
Dzingel-Smith-McCormick

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Boro
Wideman

328How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:31 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hoffman turris stone
MacArthur white Ryan
drouin zibanejad lazar
Smith Pageau Dzingel or McCormick

329How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Does anyone believe that if we keep the current group of players together for a few years, that we'll be Cup contenders?

330How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:44 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Does anyone believe that if we keep the current group of players together for a few years, that we'll be Cup contenders?

Maybe about half the current group with a few outsiders and a couple of prospects that are yet to make the team or even be drafted.

331How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:56 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'll play.

hoffman turris stone
Drouin zib Ryan
macarthur/Prince pageau/white lazar
Pumpel Pageau/white Dzingel/McCormick

Methot karlsson
Phaneuf Ceci
Boro wideman
Claesson

Hard to predict right now what lands drouin.

332How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Does anyone believe that if we keep the current group of players together for a few years, that we'll be Cup contenders?

Yes if get another veteran forward and a better goalie

333How do we fix the Senators - Page 22 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:12 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

They need help everywhere. I would address it in this order:

1. Center
2. D
3. Goalie

Teams do not win without an elite center. Ottawa does not have one. They have some good 2C's. That is good enough to win a round or 2 but not go all the way.

The D is now middle of the road over the course of a full season. Will be interested to see it tonight though.

The goalie will have to be addressed after next season. Anderson has been full value. The team in front of him has been atrocious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 22 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum