GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
SensHulk
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
tim1_2
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Ev
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 58 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:
wprager wrote:Speaking of the WJC, what other Sens prospects are going?  White played for USA in the U17 and U18 and he's not turning 19 until the end of January, so he's eligible.  Englund played last year and is turning 19 in January as well.  Chabot just got an invite.  Lindberg just turned 19.  Beyond the first rounders this draft, anyone have a chance?  Maybe Chlapik (there were two Czechs picked in Round 1; Chlapik was the third Czech picked).

They can play if they are 19 eh.
Its an under 20 tournament.

Question wasn't who was eligible. I just listed the ones that are. But which ones will get the invite?

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:
wprager wrote:Speaking of the WJC, what other Sens prospects are going?  White played for USA in the U17 and U18 and he's not turning 19 until the end of January, so he's eligible.  Englund played last year and is turning 19 in January as well.  Chabot just got an invite.  Lindberg just turned 19.  Beyond the first rounders this draft, anyone have a chance?  Maybe Chlapik (there were two Czechs picked in Round 1; Chlapik was the third Czech picked).

Question wasn't who was eligible.  I just listed the ones that are.  But which ones will get the invite?

The list I gave are the ones eligible, and you can add Gagne and Ahl.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Gagne is more than a long shot. Too many Canadian-born players were picked ahead of him (no, it's not just draft ranking but if you don't get an invite to orientation chances are slim).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Gagne is more than a long shot.  Too many Canadian-born players were picked ahead of him (no, it's not just draft ranking but if you don't get an invite to orientation chances are slim).

yeah. these are the only locks we have:

White
Chlapik
Jaros
Englund

Lindberg might have made it, but he's not eligible.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Question wasn't who was eligible.  I just listed the ones that are.  But which ones will get the invite?

If that wasn't the question, why are you saying this:
he's not turning 19 until the end of January, so he's eligible.

I just corrected you because even if he turned 19 today, he would still be eligible.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Gagne is more than a long shot.  Too many Canadian-born players were picked ahead of him (no, it's not just draft ranking but if you don't get an invite to orientation chances are slim).

Mark Stone was a long shot as well... he ended up leading that team in scoring.

Say what you want about any prospect but being drafted by the Sens is an automatic leg up for anyone wanting to play on Team Canada. Fact is their draft picks always perform for them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:

Mark Stone was a long shot as well... he ended up leading that team in scoring.

Say what you want about any prospect but being drafted by the Sens is an automatic leg up for anyone wanting to play on Team Canada.  Fact is their draft picks always perform for them.

Stone got drafted in 2010 and didn't play in that year's WJC. He had a great season in Brandon, was named Captain for the 2011-12 season, played in the Subway Super Series and then the WJC.

I'm looking at someone like Gagne, who was picked (among Canadians) so far down that he's certainly not going to get an orientation camp invite, and without that there is very little chance he gets to play. Would have to score 30 goals by the time the teams are announced.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Chiasson at arbitration on Thursday. Very interested to see what he comes out with.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Chiasson at arbitration on Thursday. Very interested to see what he comes out with.

He's barely a million dollar player. I'd like to see him sign for something with huge performance bonuses and a modest base salary. That's probably the best way for both sides to get sure value.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Chiasson at arbitration on Thursday. Very interested to see what he comes out with.

He's barely a million dollar player. I'd like to see him sign for something with huge performance bonuses and a modest base salary. That's probably the best way for both sides to get sure value.

Sounds about right. I wouldn't give that guy a penny over 1.5 - he's not even worth that. But...if he gets less than 3.5, I believe you can't walk away from it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I thought only ELCs could have performance bonuses.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yep.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

Last edited by wprager on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Yep.

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

I don't think he even warrants a one-way contract right now. Maybe they decide on a one-way, $1M. Very tradeable contract.

I gave this some thought too. Would you trade Lecavalier for Greening. Lecavalier a $4.5M cap hit but has a declining dollar value ($4.5M this year, $3M next year, and the year after). Higher change of him going on LTIR than Greening.

Chiasson, Greening for Lecavalier, 2nd. Do you do it?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

he definitely warrants a one-way contract...that's not even a question after spending two years in the NHL.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:Yep.

I don't think he even warrants a one-way contract right now. Maybe they decide on a one-way, $1M. Very tradeable contract.

I gave this some thought too. Would you trade Lecavalier for Greening. Lecavalier a $4.5M cap hit but has a declining dollar value ($4.5M this year, $3M next year, and the year after). Higher change of him going on LTIR than Greening.

Chiasson, Greening for Lecavalier, 2nd. Do you do it?

Nah...not worth the second round pick to take on Vinny. For a while I thought he'd be perfect here, then you watch him and he can't keep up anymore. He's about done IMO and at the very least Greening and Chiasson are young and still full of energy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I see what you mean though...Vinny would be free by and large by subtracting Greening's 2.65 and Chiasson 1.5 or whatever, plus you get a 2nd.

Intriguing proposal...but again, that's a guy who sucks and takes up a roster spot...

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:he definitely warrants a one-way contract...that's not even a question after spending two years in the NHL.

Of course he will get one but there are other comparables that are on two-way contracts.

He's scored 61 points in 155 gp (0.39 ppg) and a combined -26

His ppg is actually way better than I thought it would be

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispensed wrote:I see what you mean though...Vinny would be free by and large by subtracting Greening's 2.65 and Chiasson 1.5 or whatever, plus you get a 2nd.

Intriguing proposal...but again, that's a guy who sucks and takes up a roster spot...

Yes, but you'd be clearing up two roster spots (Chiasson and Greening) and assume Lecavalier will be injured for large swaths of it (NHLPA/insurance pays his salary, not the Sens). Is Lecavalier+Puempel+2nd rd pick better than Greening+Chiasson?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 58 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum