GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
SensHulk
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
tim1_2
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Ev
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 57 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:This is also from the article:

Should Hoffman earn a contract in the $4 million range, the Senators would move into the top half of the NHL in payroll, at about $65.7 million, raising questions about whether they would consider trading him.

There is Senators history in that regard. A decade ago, the Senators signed Marian Hossa to a three-year, $18 million contract before a scheduled arbitration hearing, then promptly traded him to Atlanta for Dany Heatley, partly because of a cash crunch.

In Hossa's case Heatbag's salary was $1.75 vs. the $2.75M that Hossa got, so only $1M difference.  I always thought, at the time, that the reason they moved Hossa was not money but that he appeared to care more about money than the team.

Anyhow, the only way I see them keeping Hoffman is if they can unload some more salary (Greening+Smith vs. Puempel+Price, for example, or trading Neil).

Heatley made $3.5M when he was traded to Ottawa, and Hossa made $5M (first year of a 3-year deal paying $5M, $6M, $7M). The (playing) year prior, Heatley made $1.075M. I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but you should consider generalfanager.com.

I may have screwed up on the year of the trade but I remember the $1M difference clear as day. The day he got traded I thought we got a better (at the time) player for $1M less and got rid of a malcontent who valued personal gain more than the success of the team.

And, at the time, I don't think I was too far off the mark. Hossa was immature back then. The decisions he made later trying to win the Cup kinda show what he was like later. He didn't sign for money, he signed where he thought he'd have the best chance at winning a Cup.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, Hossa was due 6 X 3 on AVV I believe it was.

Again, the only point I was making is that the Sens were only saving $1M per season with Heatley. Now, back then $1M was a bigger percentage of your payroll, but I still don't agree that it was a huge part of the decision.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
spader wrote:

That's right. The infamous sign-and-trade.

Cursed us for a long time.

Cost us Chara according to some, too.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:Salary vs. salary is a stupid distinction unless you are moving an aging veteran.  Saad is making $6M for 6 seasons, end of discussion.  Hoffman put up point very comparable to Saad's playing fewer minutes on a worse team.  

Do you think Saad believes he's making $6M this season? If we're talking about comparing salaries to figure out what someone will make next year on a one-year deal, why wouldn't you look at actual salary?

Also, he isn't making $6M for 6 seasons. Just because you say "end of discussion" doesn't mean you aren't wrong. He makes $4M, $5.75M, $6.25M, $6.75M, $6.75M, and $6.5M over 6 seasons. Why not take your thinking another step and say that Saad makes $4.3M a season? (I just averaged out his total earnings to date, including his new contract.) Laugh1

Does it matter what the Diddle Saad thinks?  Of course not.  He's not going to be in on the negotiations or the ruling.  It's the team, the player's rep and the arbitrator.  The fact that the NHL has guaranteed contracts (unlike the NFL, for example) makes the year-by-year breakdown irrelevant during aribitration.  What is relevant is the length and the UFA years, of course.  I think Saad is 22 so that contract buys 1 year of UFA?  Maybe 2.  Don't know what that equates to in terms of reducing that $6M but it's irrefutable that the talk starts at the $6M AAV and not the $4M he's getting paid this year.

O'Reilly is making $1M salary each year but something like a $10M signing bonus in the first year.  You think anyone using him as a comparable will use either the $1M figure or the $11M figure in their negotiations?

You are being ridiculous for the point of arguing.  Intelligent discussion is over.

No, Saad makes $4 million next year and that's the number they would focus on. It's irrelevant what is AAV is because it's a 6 year contract and neither Hoffman or the Sens are looking for a six year contract. It will be a one year contract, so the $6 million figure is irrelevant.

If they were comparing to O'Reilly then they would take into account the signing bonus.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
spader wrote:

That's right. The infamous sign-and-trade.

Cursed us for a long time.

Cost us Chara according to some, too.

Muckler costs the Sens Chara, the Hossa deal is just fuel for that fire and not the direct cause.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Again, the only point I was making is that the Sens were only saving $1M per season with Heatley.  Now, back then $1M was a bigger percentage of your payroll, but I still don't agree that it was a huge part of the decision.

$1.5. Hossa made $5M, and Heatbag made $3.5M.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:Salary vs. salary is a stupid distinction unless you are moving an aging veteran.  Saad is making $6M for 6 seasons, end of discussion.  Hoffman put up point very comparable to Saad's playing fewer minutes on a worse team.  

Do you think Saad believes he's making $6M this season? If we're talking about comparing salaries to figure out what someone will make next year on a one-year deal, why wouldn't you look at actual salary?

Also, he isn't making $6M for 6 seasons. Just because you say "end of discussion" doesn't mean you aren't wrong. He makes $4M, $5.75M, $6.25M, $6.75M, $6.75M, and $6.5M over 6 seasons. Why not take your thinking another step and say that Saad makes $4.3M a season? (I just averaged out his total earnings to date, including his new contract.) Laugh1

Does it matter what the Diddle Saad thinks?  Of course not.  He's not going to be in on the negotiations or the ruling.  It's the team, the player's rep and the arbitrator.  The fact that the NHL has guaranteed contracts (unlike the NFL, for example) makes the year-by-year breakdown irrelevant during aribitration.  What is relevant is the length and the UFA years, of course.  I think Saad is 22 so that contract buys 1 year of UFA?  Maybe 2.  Don't know what that equates to in terms of reducing that $6M but it's irrefutable that the talk starts at the $6M AAV and not the $4M he's getting paid this year.

O'Reilly is making $1M salary each year but something like a $10M signing bonus in the first year.  You think anyone using him as a comparable will use either the $1M figure or the $11M figure in their negotiations?

You are being ridiculous for the point of arguing.  Intelligent discussion is over.

FWIW, I'm not the only one disagreeing with you.  I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, I flat out think you're wrong. Frankly, I find your position nonsensical. The guy makes $4M. As several other people have pointed out, that's the number they'll use for the arbitration process.

EDIT: Also, ROR won't be used as a comparable. His last contract brought him to UFA, so he isn't eligible as a comparable. So, aside from probably being the most unique contract in the league, there's no way his contract would be a factor in the conversation.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

FWIW, I'm not the only one disagreeing with you.  I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, I flat out think you're wrong. Frankly, I find your position nonsensical. The guy makes $4M. As several other people have pointed out, that's the number they'll use for the arbitration process.

EDIT: Also, ROR won't be used as a comparable. His last contract brought him to UFA, so he isn't eligible as a comparable. So, aside from probably being the most unique contract in the league, there's no way his contract would be a factor in the conversation.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 57 Untitled-article-1429794386.png?crop=0

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Again, the only point I was making is that the Sens were only saving $1M per season with Heatley.  Now, back then $1M was a bigger percentage of your payroll, but I still don't agree that it was a huge part of the decision.

Boy, sure isn't my day. OK it was $1.5M. I guess it's getting to the point where it was a non-trivial amount of money saved.

But still doesn't make up for that $4M pre-trade bonus.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:
wprager wrote:

Boy, sure isn't my day.  OK it was $1.5M.  I guess it's getting to the point where it was a non-trivial amount of money saved.

But still doesn't make up for that $4M pre-trade bonus.

Melnyk is a little weird for the way he went after getting that back, but I can understand how pissed he must have been.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

As reported on HF:

Sylvain St-Laurent ‏@Syl_St_Laurent Jul 17 Gatineau, Québec
I'm told #Sens prospect Thomas Chabot (@ThomasChabot1) will be getting a late invite to Hockey Canada's WJC summer camp.

That's good news.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:As reported on HF:

Sylvain St-Laurent ‏@Syl_St_Laurent  Jul 17 Gatineau, Québec
I'm told #Sens prospect Thomas Chabot (@ThomasChabot1) will be getting a late invite to Hockey Canada's WJC summer camp.

That's good news.

Nothing negative about that. Good stuff.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of the WJC, what other Sens prospects are going? White played for USA in the U17 and U18 and he's not turning 19 until the end of January, so he's eligible. Englund played last year and is turning 19 in January as well. Chabot just got an invite. Lindberg just turned 19. Beyond the first rounders this draft, anyone have a chance? Maybe Chlapik (there were two Czechs picked in Round 1; Chlapik was the third Czech picked).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Speaking of the WJC, what other Sens prospects are going?  White played for USA in the U17 and U18 and he's not turning 19 until the end of January, so he's eligible.  Englund played last year and is turning 19 in January as well.  Chabot just got an invite.  Lindberg just turned 19.  Beyond the first rounders this draft, anyone have a chance?  Maybe Chlapik (there were two Czechs picked in Round 1; Chlapik was the third Czech picked).

White
Chlapik
Jaros
Englund
Maybe Chabot

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Speaking of the WJC, what other Sens prospects are going?  White played for USA in the U17 and U18 and he's not turning 19 until the end of January, so he's eligible.  Englund played last year and is turning 19 in January as well.  Chabot just got an invite.  Lindberg just turned 19.  Beyond the first rounders this draft, anyone have a chance?  Maybe Chlapik (there were two Czechs picked in Round 1; Chlapik was the third Czech picked).

They can play if they are 19 eh.
Its an under 20 tournament.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:

Question wasn't who was eligible. I just listed the ones that are. But which ones will get the invite?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Question wasn't who was eligible.  I just listed the ones that are.  But which ones will get the invite?

The list I gave are the ones eligible, and you can add Gagne and Ahl.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gagne is more than a long shot. Too many Canadian-born players were picked ahead of him (no, it's not just draft ranking but if you don't get an invite to orientation chances are slim).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum